Who would you like to see back in the sport?

Comments

• 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Someone mention time travel? In that case...

Pantani.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    ShutupJens wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

A low key one - I think Scott Thwaites was 'retired' far too early. He's only 29.

Scott is riding for Vitus Pro Cycling at the moment, certainly not at the level that he used to be before his injury

His ability isn't in question as he can knock out the numbers he did before the accident. However "so called" UCI teams like Vitus create a hopeless situation for anyone hoping to impress in quality races. They have only raced overseas once all season and that was only UCI 2.2 level. These teams hope or even expect to ride the TdY and ToB yet do not prepare their riders suitably. It seems illogical to ride a season of low level domestic non UCI one day races then expect their riders to step up and race against loads of WT and top PC riders in stage races.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Emma Pooley.
    yes ,+1
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Armstrong can go die in a fire frankly ... The stress he put all of us through never mind those closer to him is deplorable. It's personnel literally. He can apologize in person to us all . Rasmussen and rest can join him.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Armstrong can go die in a fire frankly ... The stress he put all of us through never mind those closer to him is deplorable. It's personnel literally. He can apologize in person to us all . Rasmussen and rest can join him.

Reasonable and measured :shock:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Can't say he put me through any stress.

It was a brilliant soap opera for a decade or so...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

AMEN can i flame throw Millar?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    He caused you personal stress?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Emma Pooley.
    yes ,+1

A few days ago i was trying to think of British women who'd be decent co commentators or analysts. Pooley was the only one i came up with.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    gsk82 wrote:
    Emma Pooley.
    yes ,+1

A few days ago i was trying to think of British women who'd be decent co commentators or analysts. Pooley was the only one i came up with.
    Mmm... based on?
    I thought Chennaoui was magnificent.
    How many ever get the chance? And for some pundits/commentators, it’s the doing that has them very quickly become bearable (when perhaps they were less so to start with) or even competent. Others don’t learn so quickly - or, basically, will always rub too many up the wrong way. Step forward McCrossan, Kirby and Tony Glib. They are all awful without the racing chops that many of the female pundits have.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Emma Pooley.
    yes ,+1

Mmm... based on?
    How many ever get the chance? And for some pundits/commentators, it’s the doing that has them very quickly become bearable (when perhaps they were less so to start with) or even competent. Others don’t learn so quickly - or, basically, will always rub too many up the wrong way. Step forward McCrossan, Kirby and Tony Glib. They are all awful without the racing chops that many of the female pundits have.
    Orla Chennaoui isn’t a commentator or analyst though. She’s a presenter I don’t think she’d call herself British either.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Emma Pooley.
    yes ,+1

Mmm... based on?

It was watching a bit of ride London that got me thinking it. The bbc clearly wanted to involve women, but Rowe and Gilmore are pretty rubbish. The position is probably waiting to be filled by Lizzie D. But she seems like the type to disappear from public view once she's finished racing.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ocdupalais
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Emma Pooley.
    yes ,+1

Mmm... based on?
    Orla Chennaoui isn’t a commentator or analyst though. She’s a presenter I don’t think she’d call herself British either.
    Ned Boulting was neither, either. But you’re right about the British bit.
  • ocdupalais
    But back to the to subject....
    Ullrich.
    He had the reputation of precocious athletic ability that only ever follows the truly gifted (same for Merckx, Hinault, Sagan, etc... and now GVA, Evenepoel, MVDP), but developed at a time when the profession only served the truly hard headed. While I imagine pro cycling has never been a game for the sensitive, that shouldn’t mean you have to be a monster (or mates with one) to succeed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Reading this thread it seems to that the people posters most want back are Drs Ferrari, Conconi and Fuentes

Or do people just want to be twenty years younger?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Gweeds wrote:

Yes, short memories here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Gweeds wrote:

not just him but everyone.

i know it made my life a mess for years - the stress, the heartache, the loss of sleep.

HOW COULD YOU DO IT TO US LANCE?

#letdown
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Gweeds wrote:

not just him but everyone.

i know it made my life a mess for years - the stress, the heartache, the loss of sleep.

HOW COULD YOU DO IT TO US LANCE?

#letdown

And after they said he'd never do that after conquering cancer

#hollowedout
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    David Harmon
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Spartacus, no I'm spartacus
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Would be really nice to bring Bjorg Lambrecht back, if we could
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Whats happened to Greg LeMond? He was all over Eurosport a few years ago but I haven't seen him in a while now.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • jwa581
    jwa581 Posts: 24
    Would be interesting to see Boardman back now competing in a supposedly cleaner sport. Always regarded him as likely to be a clean rider in a dirty peloton, and would be interesting to see what he could do on a more level playing field, think he would have been and ideal fit for Sky/Ineos. Ditto for Obree (without the sky bit).
  • jwa581
    jwa581 Posts: 24
    Also, Christophe Bassons, for similar reasons to Boardman and Obree.
  • CCCP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    jwa581 wrote:
    Would be interesting to see Boardman back now competing in a supposedly cleaner sport. Always regarded him as likely to be a clean rider in a dirty peloton, and would be interesting to see what he could do on a more level playing field, think he would have been and ideal fit for Sky/Ineos. Ditto for Obree (without the sky bit).

Bit old isn't he?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I think some of these posts intend on winding back the clock and removing the doping and seeing them in today's peloton.

Don't think people really got the point of your thread.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    RichN95 wrote:
    Reading this thread it seems to that the people posters most want back are Drs Ferrari, Conconi and Fuentes

Or do people just want to be twenty years younger?

30+.... fignon, Bugno, Lemond, Indurain, Rooks etc, the end of the Kelly era, Robert Millar etc. just before cycling became rocket fuelled. though would like to see what Pantani could do against the current lot at his peak.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Becky James back in the track squad ahead of Tokyo. Retired far too early and 2020 with injuries behind her could have been her games. I haven't watched much track cycling lately but the squad feels a bit lacking on the sprint side in particular and could do with her experience.

Was going to say Bellis, still only 30 but wasn't familiar with his recent past.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Whats happened to Greg LeMond? He was all over Eurosport a few years ago but I haven't seen him in a while now.

All due respeck to him as a rider but see the posts above about commentators...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver