Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon v UST?

mrobbie
mrobbie Posts: 64
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking at 3 Mavic wheelsets to replace the Aksium set that my Cannondale Synapse came with

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Rim Brake Clincher £739

https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-cosmi ... t-EV285996

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon Exalith Road Wheels 2018 £899
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Mavic-Cosmic-P ... _98701.htm

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon UST Tubeless Rim Brake £1012

https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-cosmi ... t-EV348618

Can anyone explain the differences between the 3? I understand the first one is essentially an alloy rim with a carbon fairing. Is the 3rd a true carbon rim? Can the second one be run with tubes and regular tyres or mist it be run tubeless?

Recommendations between the 3?

(Added the Exalith after reading some reviews on them)

Thanks
Quite addicted to cycling now....

Comments

• The latter is a full carbon wheel. It also uses the superb iTgMAX brake track. I've got a set of Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL tubular wheels which use the same and the breaking is fantastic!

Tubeless only as far as I can tell. Mavic don't do a two-way fit wheel.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    UST wheels can be used with tubes. For the Cosmics:
    Max. Pressure tubeless: 25mm 6 bars - 87 PSI, 28mm 5 bars - 70 PSI.
    Max pressure tubetype: 25mm 7 bars -102 PSI, 28mm 6 bars - 87 PSI
  • mrobbie
    mrobbie Posts: 64
    Thanks, that info helps a lot

Now to try and get some quotes to get the Bike2Work process underway...
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • @Zefs going through the same process myself at present. Do you know how "easy" these are to use with tubes? The Hunts on my winter bike are PIA, so much so that I carry a Kool Tool on that bike, which is not ideal. Really I'm not over enamoured with road tubeless but want the ability to fit covers with a couple of standard levers.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    1, Yes, it's a true carbon wheel.

2, Yes, you can use clincher and tube on any UST/TLR/Tubeless wheels.

Cosmic Pro UST wheelset will come with tubeless tyres. My suggestion is to use the tubeless first and you won't be disapointed by the comfort introduced by tubeless, unless the road is so bad where that tyres can be punctured easily.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    @Zefs going through the same process myself at present. Do you know how "easy" these are to use with tubes? The Hunts on my winter bike are PIA, so much so that I carry a Kool Tool on that bike, which is not ideal. Really I'm not over enamoured with road tubeless but want the ability to fit covers with a couple of standard levers.

thats because Hunts aren't very good and are massively overpriced

#betterforhalfthemoneyavailable
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • So is road tubeless now trouble free?
  • Matthewfalle
    So is road tubeless now trouble free?

yeah, right. nice one

#comedy

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have the Cosmic Pro Carbon UST on my main bike and they are excellent. Good braking in dry and wet. I run them tubeless, but they can be used with tubes. Tubless I haven't had one issue that I know about despite riding on gravelled paths at times, over hedge clippings and road debris. I'm using the Mavic Yksion Pro UST tyres that came with the wheels, but I understand that they are more or less Hutchinson tyres.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    alanyu wrote:
    1, Yes, it's a true carbon wheel.

2, Yes, you can use clincher and tube on any UST/TLR/Tubeless wheels.

Cosmic Pro UST wheelset will come with tubeless tyres. My suggestion is to use the tubeless first and you won't be disapointed by the comfort introduced by tubeless, unless the road is so bad where that tyres can be punctured easily.

true tubeless believer here

"tubeless will be fine unless you go down a road where youvwill get a puncture then you won't be fine".

#statethebleedin'obviousDerek

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Tubeless is a learning curve but worth it IMHO. Some tyres can be difficult to mount on some rims but good technique and a set of VAR tyre levers for the more stubborn combos is all that's needed. Where punctures occur and the sealant doesn't do the job (rare in my experience but it does happen) then plugging with tyre worms is an absolute piece of p1ss that can be done without removing the tyre and is usually quicker than replacing a tube (which involves removing the wheel, removing the tyre and tube then remounting both). Tubeless tyres are expensive versus standard versions I grant you but for me it's worth it. The great thing here is you have a choice. I don't understand the haters who slag tubeless off. Nobody's forcing them to use them.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    @Zefs going through the same process myself at present. Do you know how "easy" these are to use with tubes? The Hunts on my winter bike are PIA, so much so that I carry a Kool Tool on that bike, which is not ideal. Really I'm not over enamoured with road tubeless but want the ability to fit covers with a couple of standard levers.

UST works great for me, no issues in over a year on Ksyrium Elite wheels. Tubed works as expected too, but you need a co2 to seat the tire if you have to use a tube on the road(haven't had the need to and carry plugs, I ride on dry). So I would use a tire with good puncture protection for your conditions and sealant/plugs.