Skinny tyres for light off-road

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking for advice on tyre choice.
I have a Kinesis Racelight T3 I'm building up as a winter bike.
It easily accommodates 28C tyres and could probably squeeze 30c depending on profile.

Just wanted to know what tyres are available in 28-30C size that could handle a canal towpath, woodland paths, compact gravel paths. Doesn't have to be knobbly as such just tough I guess. Just a tough all-rounder.

Thanks all.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've used Hutchinson Sector 28's in the past for some gravel riding and they're pretty robust. They're tubeless only but that may be a good idea anyway for the kind of terrain you're thinking of riding on.
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    Joe Totale wrote:
    I've used Hutchinson Sector 28's in the past for some gravel riding and they're pretty robust. They're tubeless only but that may be a good idea anyway for the kind of terrain you're thinking of riding on.

Good shout, had a look at those earlier and they seem to fit the bill.

Got tubeless ready rims anyway so it looks like they would be ideal. :)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Panaracer Gravel Kings and Schwalbe G-ones come in that sort of size in different treads, tubed or t/less.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I’ve done plenty of touring on Michelin Pro IV Endurance. Taking in cinder tracks, gravel farm roads, cobbles and fire roads no bother.
  • I'm using an IRC Marbella 28 on the front of my bike (32mm gravel king SK on the rear). Good on the road and has taken loads of really tough stuff off-road with no problems. It's a really good tyre. When the SK needs replacing I'll probably go with an IRC on the back, too.