Touring 29er MTB

flight996
flight996 Posts: 15
edited August 2019 in MTB buying advice
I am seeking buying advice about the new 29er MTBs that feature just a single front chain ring.

I use my current Trek 3900 disc for long distance touring, particularly in Asia. A typical ride is >1,000 km over two weeks. The Trek is strong and dependable, and handles broken roads and panniers very well. It has 3x8 Shimano Acera set-up and Avid BB7s. It has travelled a lot of kms, and is due for replacement soon. I plan to purchase a 29er as a replacement.

I am not a particularly strong rider, and with a loaded bike weight of 25kg plus 80 kg rider, I need a few gears.
I am wondering if a single chain ring may leave me short of gears, particularly when grinding a long slow ascent in the teeth of a howling headwind. Would a bike with single chain ring be sufficient for my style of riding, and what rear dérailleur should I consider?

Thanks in advance
Flight

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Well a 10-50 cassette with a 32t chainring on 29" wheels will give a lower gear than you have now on your Trek where your lowest gear is 32t cassette to 24t chainring with 26" wheels. You could also have a 30t chainring to lower the gearing further.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Thanks for the reply robertpb. That's really useful information.

What might the proposed combination do to my top speed range?
    My Trek regularly run out of gears when swooping downhill, particularly when unladen. It tops out around 48km/hr. A little more top speed would be nice.

Cheers
    Flight
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    A 2 x set up would be ideal for the riding you do. No compromises with gearing top or bottom end.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Ditto - a 2x set-up would be ideal. The bigger ring at the front becomes your road/downhill gear.

I have the same on my HT as it does double duty as a winter hack on the roads/track.

I have 1x (11-42 34T) on my FS and gears are great for the intented purpose of climbing, but it still spins out on the DH bits, even with a 34T.

The HT is the older 11-36 but I have 36T and 44T at the front.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Get the largest range cassette you can and then have two rings on the front.

A 10-50 cassette gives a range of 5:1. That is almost the same as a standard 2x10 set up from Shimano. There is a lot to be said for 1x. It is easier to maintain, weighs less, and removes the front shifter which you can replace with something else (like a remote for your dropper if you have one, or maybe a camera mount......). But equally, a 3x8 with a big range cassette (look to see what the eBikes are fitting) will give you a very strong transmission with parts that you will be able to find all over the world.
  • Great stuff.
    Thank you all for you very useful information.

I'm now off to see what I can buy.

Cheers
    F