Low Profile Lids?

Longshot
Longshot Posts: 940
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm currently sporting a Giro Cinder which means I look a little like one of Super Mario's compatriots. It's about time for a new helmet and I'd really like one that is more low profile.

I've had a Kask Mojito before but it never sat right on my head - the pointy bit was always off centre. I'm putting this down to some monstrous head deformity rather than the helmet but I prefer helmets that don't have similar pointed profiles at the front because of this.

I've considered the Specialized Prevail and the Lazer Z1 but haven't yet tried on the latter. Was also looking at the Planet X Carnac range but obviously can't try one on.

Your suggestions would be most welcome please. Any price range.
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Helmets are very much a trial-and-error for me too - I also suffer from 'Mushroom Head' with quite a few brands, so much so I have probably sent more helmets back to online retailers than anything else (including a couple of Planet X). I currently have three makes to use that work okay for me: Uvex, Met and Limar, with the Uvex probably being the most flattering (or least unflattering). The Limar is more for Triathlon (aero with less ventilation) but also fits quite well.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    edited August 2019
    I have a small head and also suffer from mushroom head. As above, I've found MET Manta and Rivale to look less ridiculous. Currently sporting a Bontrager Velocis mips which looks great and low profile. I also like the look of the newest Abus one (worn by Movistar) and was on my shortlist but never tried it as i was so happy with the Velocis.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I have an Abus Aventor - very comfortable and not too conspicuous!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    The lowest profile helmet I've had is a Protone, by absoutely miles. V different to my experience with the Mojito. The Bontrager aero lid was pretty good too (Ballista?)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Plus one for the Protone.

Lazer Z1 didn't work for me at all.
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Longshot wrote:
    Was also looking at the Planet X Carnac range but obviously can't try one on.

I seem to suffer from similar issues to you - numerous expensive helmets never sat right, anything pointy was always off centre. I've now got 3 Carnacs and all fit me very well. They are light enough that I sometimes have to check I have it on, maybe lacks a few features of others - but its a £15 lid... you can't complain.
    Currently using the Notus road for almost all duties - commutes -> long rides and really no issues.

Thats probably one of the older models too, with the Notus Race and Notus Evo now available with what looks like extra features at the same price.
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I have a small head and also suffer from mushroom head. As above, I've found MET Manta and Rivale to look less ridiculous. Currently sporting a Bontrager Velocis mips which looks great and low profile. I also like the look of the newest Abus one (worn by Movistar) and was on my shortlist but never tried it as i was so happy with the Velocis.

Yup used to have a Lazer Z1 lovely lid but very mushroomy, picked up a Met Trenta (went 3K because fancy) much much better fit. Mets do seem to be a lower profile fit.

Note on the PlanetX ones, they are from the same supplier as Limar so save yourself a wodge an get the planet X one. I remember them posting about it.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I had the same problem with some helmets looking fugging huge on me however have settled on three which are neat and low profile. My head is 58cm and I always go for a Medium where 58cm is the upper size, ie 54-58cm.

1. Uvex Ultrasonic race - very light and airy and very very neat, fits my head perfectly amd even though its a 55-58cm there is enough room to fit a light summer cap underneath in winter.

2. Abus Gamechanger - absolutely love this helmet and use it during winter as its warm and keeps my head dry due to less vents and sitting slightly deeper. Again its a medium with 58cm upper size but IMO it would easily fit someone with a 60cm head as there is bags of room in it and I have to close the retention system almost fully to be snug on me. It also has loads of room for a thick winter cap in winter.

3. Briko Gass - I love the look of this helmet however it does look a tiny bitmushroomy on my head compared to the other two. Its sits a little high rather than wide but it is extremely comfortable and very well padded and it has the coolest magnetic strap closure system which can be open closed with one hand even with thick gloves on. Due to its aero design its a little too warm to wear in summer and so gets used the rest of the year round along with the Abus.

I have my eye on a Rudy Project Spectrum (as worn by Nibali) but cant justify the €186 price tag just yet considering I already have 3 road helmets and a BBB kite which I use for mountain biking now and then.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    One of the MFs got one off Planet X a good while ago (black with Italian flag on - will dig out model in a second when I see him) - he says its very comfy, light, well vented and low profile.

aanother bought an Uvex aero a few weeks ago and although light, comfy, looks very cool and low profile it is damn hot.

#aaaaaaaggggghhhhhmybrainiscooking
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I currently wear a Lazer Z1 and it's certainly not low profile, however it is a very comfortable and we'll fitting helmet for me.
  • I had a specialized evade and now am using the PX carnac notus, which is a straight copy. To be honest if I said the evade was over a £120 better I would be lieing. Thd notus is just as good and cost me £18.