Bib shorts advice

Beed
Beed Posts: 12
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Doing the Manchester 100 in a few weeks, please recommend some decent bib shorts so i dont have ride the last 40 mile stood up :roll:

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Chamois cream. It won't help with saddle numbness but will help with chafing.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Beed wrote:
    Doing the Manchester 100 in a few weeks, please recommend some decent bib shorts so i dont have ride the last 40 mile stood up :roll:

Lusso.

made (allegedly) in Manc, excellent price, really well made, beats all the others on Bikes Etc and Indy tests.

worn for racin', communtn', etapin', etc with ne'er a problem.

#recommended
    #comfy
    #sleek
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    You really need to give an idea on budget! There's no point in people recommending £100+ kit if you're not in that market. (Just to add, there are definitely decent bib shorts below £100, that wasn't my point)
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Beed
    Budget.......£80 ish
  • Beed
    Beed wrote:

Lusso.

made (allegedly) in Manc, excellent price, really well made, beats all the others on Bikes Etc and Indy tests.

#recommended
    #comfy
    #sleek

I was recommended the lusso carbon the other week
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Endura FS260 would be my shout.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-bib-shorts-1/

Bang on your budget.
  • Longshot
    Don't underestimate the decathlon range. I find the bib shorts/tights with the blue pad to be very comfortable. I think the 500s have that pad and they're £40.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Sportful
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    Assos with the s7 pad. Don't waste your time off money on anything else. You can usually get the mille for under £100
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I would heartily recommend La Passione Classic bibs, currently on a sale of sorts, and well within your budget.
    They have plenty of other models in their lineup, but I have no personal experience of them.

If you have a paypal account, activate the 'refund returns' option first (And pay using paypal!), as returning items to Italy with adequate insurance is pretty costly, so might be worth ordering more than one size.
    Now I know what size I am, it's no longer an issue of course.

https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/2019summersale/products_bib-shorts

My other recommendation would be (If you are really lightweight) Rapha Pro Team shorts - some sellers on ebay have new stock for circa £60 or less, but in xs only.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Amazon, search for fdx bib shorts and take your pick. I thought for less than £20 it was worth the risk to try based on the reviews. Into my third year as I cannot justify paying more when it's like cycling on an actual cushion! Just make sure you get the gel pad and not the foam. Originally got both and although their gel is very good, the foam really is get what you pay for.

Had them a couple years and still going strong and for less than 20 incredible value for money.
  • Skins love cats dnamics from Amazon.
    I didn’t know but Skins the company have ceased trading and these once £150+ shorts are now in the 50-70 range depending on size.. I’m usually a large ... sent them back for medium and have to say ... quality like no others I’ve owned, and I’ve had Castelli, Rapha Assos ... all top shorts but the Skins just as good and for £60 can’t be beaten!
    Overnight delivery with Prime as well.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Beed wrote:
    Beed wrote:

Lusso.

#recommended
    #comfy
    #sleek

I was recommended the lusso carbon the other week

i'm going to wear someLusso whilst doing some Giro climbs tomorrow and know they will be perfect.

sounds like a darn good recommendation to me.

#goodcall
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Longshot
    gsk82 wrote:
    Assos with the s7 pad. Don't waste your time off money on anything else. You can usually get the mille for under £100

I have to say, I agree with this. I just got some S7 Equipes for £100 in a sale and the pad is fantastic.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Longshot wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

I have to say, I agree with this. I just got some S7 Equipes for £100 in a sale and the pad is fantastic.
    An alternative opinion.
    Assos were comfy as far as I was concerned but they are the only brand of bibs I have had where black pairs have went see through. :shock:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Another mention for the chamois cream - use this no matter which shorts you go for!

Galibier are my new go to brand for shorts.
    Been using the Energie Elite II for a couple of months now and they have been fantastic.
    I've just received the new Equipe Aero bibs from them which are supposedly designed for longer rides (3-8hrs). Haven't had a chance to test properly, but looking forward to giving them a good test.

I've used a lot of different makes over the years, and Galibier are as good if not better than most big names costing nearly double the amount.
  • I was recommended the lusso carbon the other week

I've just bought some of those. Seem pretty good to me, but then I like Lusso stuff.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    DHB Aeron, done plenty of rides longer than 100 miles wearing them with no discomfort.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1/

Galibier stuff is also good while it lasts but myself and others have found that their gear falls apart after a few months.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I like the higher end Castelli with the Progetto pad rather than the Kiss.

Progetto pad is my go to for longer rides although on the back of recommendations on this thread might have a look at the Assos.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Never used chamois cream, modern good quality pad, saddle that suits my arse and a bike that fits. Done up to 180 in a day no problems. Emperor’s new clothes.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Rapha core are a fiver over your budget, very comfy pad too. I've not worn mine loads yet but can't forsee any issues, almost as comfy as my Castelli with Progetto (sp?) pad...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    ibr17xvii wrote:

Progetto pad is my go to for longer rides although on the back of recommendations on this thread might have a look at the Assos.

Progetto X2 is legendary, Kiss pad is poor really imho.
    Generally a struggle to get the X2 for the op's budget though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Daniel B wrote:
    ibr17xvii wrote:

Progetto X2 is legendary, Kiss pad is poor really imho.
    Generally a struggle to get the X2 for the op's budget though.
    Shorts really are the most personal of personal fits. I find both shorts I have with the X2 (Free Aero & CHPT3) uncomfortable after a while for example, but acknowledge that others feel differently.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Some great tips here. I’m going to order the fdx and decathlon ones for training rides and look in to more expensive ones like lusso for long ride.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • My go-to bibs are the Gore C5 Optiline, usually on sale at Wiggle etc for well under 100. But bibs are personal, I think the key is that they fit you right, especially in the torso length. I had bought what I thought were well fitting Mavics, but I kept getting an odd pain around my lower neck. I think what was happening is that the straps were digging into nerves, not enough to bother me at first but after several hours it became a problem.

Regarding chamois cream: you don't need to buy the expensive Assos stuf -- diaper rash ointment is perfect. I dab here and there won't do any harm.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use Assos for prevention on longer rides. If I forget and/or get chafed I use Sudocrem, which is a great all-purpose, waterproof antiseptic cream.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Just bought some Galibier Equipe bib shorts on offer by email for less than £50 not been out in them yet but good fit and feel.
    Had a few bits and found them good for the money.