Fitting GP5000s

Longshot
Longshot Posts: 940
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Has anyone else found GP5000s a real pain to fit?

I got a new set of wheels fitted (Hope 20Fives) and ordered some GP5000s to go on at the same time. I picked up the bike from the shop and it seemed fine when I stuck it in the boot of the car and then into the garage. The next day, the front was flat.

I took out the old tube and replaced it but had a hell of a job to get the tyre back on even with levers and ended up with a pinch flat. I then rinsed and repeated this 3 more times. :shock: I've never pinch flatted a single tube before this and I've changed planety on a variety of wheels and tyres.

I ended up taking it back in and they took 20 minutes to refit the tube and tyre by hand although I was told it took tow of them to do it.

Anyone else had a problem with them? I haven't read much about them being particularly difficult to fit.
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Some rim/tyre combos are harder than others, also you'll find older tyres are looser on a given rim as they have been stretched slightly.

To give you an idea.

Rim - Ryde25
    Michelin Lithion 2 - utter pig to get on and off
    Vittoria Rubino Pro - pushed one easily with fingers
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Longshot wrote:
    Has anyone else found GP5000s a real pain to fit?

I got a new set of wheels fitted (Hope 20Fives) and ordered some GP5000s to go on at the same time. I picked up the bike from the shop and it seemed fine when I stuck it in the boot of the car and then into the garage. The next day, the front was flat.

I took out the old tube and replaced it but had a hell of a job to get the tyre back on even with levers and ended up with a pinch flat. I then rinsed and repeated this 3 more times. :shock: I've never pinch flatted a single tube before this and I've changed planety on a variety of wheels and tyres.

I ended up taking it back in and they took 20 minutes to refit the tube and tyre by hand although I was told it took tow of them to do it.

Anyone else had a problem with them? I haven't read much about them being particularly difficult to fit.

Yes, fitted a tubeless version at the weekend. Absolute nightmare. Inflated fine though which isn't always the case with tubeless.

IMG-5275.jpg
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    SkeetAM wrote:

IMG-5275.jpg

What is going on here? I'm not trolling or anything, just interested.
  • skeetam
    Poptart242 wrote:
    What is going on here? I'm not trolling or anything, just interested.

I had to tie the tire off at both ends so it didn't slip off the rim and lever it on.

It actually worked too! :D
  • I find fitting any tyre to my Hunt 4 Seasons Gravel rims is a total PIA. I too have to tape everything down or it will never seat. I now use a Kool Tool and that works every time. But, I carry it with me in case I have a puncture out on the road.

I see a Kool Tool in the picture, and if that won't seat the tyres then they must be really difficult to work with.
  • skeetam
    I see a Kool Tool in the picture, and if that won't seat the tyres then they must be really difficult to work with.

The Kool Tool did seat the tyre when I tied the ends down. The other two tyre levers failed.
  • The Kool Tool did seat the tyre when I tied the ends down.

But it still needs tyres tying down!What would happen on a ride? Am I wrong in thinking that 5000s are designed to be ridden tubeless?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Am I wrong in thinking that 5000s are designed to be ridden tubeless?

They have both tubeless and non-tubeless models.

(Edit to add that I've checked and did order the right ones!)
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • skeetam
    The Kool Tool did seat the tyre when I tied the ends down.

But it still needs tyres tying down!What would happen on a ride? Am I wrong in thinking that 5000s are designed to be ridden tubeless?

haha no I took the nylon rope off just after this photo was taken. Maybe I should've posted a photo when the tyre wasn't quite on yet with the nylon ropes in place. Basically, when I tried to lever the tyre on the bead cam off further round the tyre, so I tied it down at either end and then used the Kool Tool to lever the last bit onto the rim.
  • tri-king
    tri-king Posts: 168
    I recently upgraded to the GP 5000s and thoroughly regret it! I can't get the bloody things on my token carbon wheelset and removing them is also problematic so much so that I will be going to another manufacturer who makes a product which isn't such an arduous effort to achieve the most simplest of tasks! Looking online I'm not the only one to find this problem with the gp5000s being ridiculously tight. Sadly the trusted 4,000 S's have been discontinued and I can find nowhere else to source them
  • Get some birzman tubeless levers,never more than 2 mins per tyre regardless of the wheel tyre combo ,some of the contraptions above are hilarious
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,981
    I've had no issues getting GP5000's (TR and TL) on 2 sets of DT Swiss wheels and a set of Parcours ones.
    It is a rim tyre combo issue, so the blame is not only with the tyre manufacturer.
  • Nightmare on me Swiss rims. Good tyres though.
  • tthearab said:

Nightmare on me Swiss rims. Good tyres though.

I had problems with my first pair of 5000s on DT Swiss rims but the pair I have just bought (28mm and 25mm) I can fit easily with my fingers.

Tyre Glider is a game changer when fitting tight tyre/rim combos. £10 well spent.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,511
    I've just fitted a set of 30mm TR tyres to Zipp 404's using my fingers / thumbs only - and I don't have forearms like Popeye.
  • I've just fitted 2 GP5000's using the Kool Tool
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/koolstop-tyre-mate/
    no real problem, but it would of be a total A&%"hole without that tool.