Novatec Servicing

pippi_langsamer-2
pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
edited August 2019 in Workshop
So, the bearings are shot on my training wheels. Novatec F327SB rear hub.

Began the task of dismantling the hub earlier, but can't for the wife of me figure out how to extract the axle. This version of hub only has hex bolt fitting on the drive side of the axle. I've removed the non-drive side end caps, but can't now figure out how to remove the rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but now I've got one side of the caps off, does it now require a whack to knock the axle out the other side?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    So, the bearings are shot on my training wheels. Novatec F327SB rear hub.

Began the task of dismantling the hub earlier, but can't for the wife of me figure out how to extract the axle. This version of hub only has hex bolt fitting on the drive side of the axle. I've removed the non-drive side end caps, but can't now figure out how to remove the rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but now I've got one side of the caps off, does it now require a whack to knock the axle out the other side?

Check out this video - it's for the 482SB rear hub which I've serviced in the past without too much hassle. I'm guessing the Novatec designs will not alter to much between variants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpjSclC0STQ

My step-by-step guide is near the bottom of this thread if that helps

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12933141&p=18457044#p18457044

Bit puzzled tho as I can't find a listing for a Novatec 327SB hub anywhere on the net?
  • It's an older, now discontinued model:

http://www.nguide.eu/hubs/f372sb

Difference between this and the newer versions is that the hub only has one hex end, so I'm struggling to remove the drive side.
  • Hmmm...ok, so i found a video of someone having a tough time of it too lol

https://youtu.be/uRGPX0oBUlY

Difference being, looks like he's managed to get the drive side off first. Jeez, pretty brutal. Never had to use so much force removing bearings before. Looks like I need to fashion a hitting plank!
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Sounds brutal but if you use a lump hammer rather than a rubber mallet you won’t have to hit it as often and be less likely to cause damage. It depends on how confident you are. You’ll need something similar to support the hub. I can’t remember what I’ve used but you could always leave the tyre on and support it against your leg or something. Again it depends on your confidence in hitting the right place and how seized the bearing is- the outer race can sometimes get stuck onto the hub from corrosion. I’ve changed a few now. You’ll need a deep socket if I recall to get the second bearing back on once you’ve replaced the axle.
  • Yeah, that video doesn't even show how he got the freehub off neither...
  • gezebo
    I think the free hub comes of quite easily once you’ve undone the locking nut but you may need to prise it off to start with a flat bladed screwdriver but I can’t be 100% sure on that.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    gezebo wrote:
    Sounds brutal but if you use a lump hammer rather than a rubber mallet you won’t have to hit it as often and be less likely to cause damage. It depends on how confident you are. You’ll need something similar to support the hub. I can’t remember what I’ve used but you could always leave the tyre on and support it against your leg or something. Again it depends on your confidence in hitting the right place and how seized the bearing is- the outer race can sometimes get stuck onto the hub from corrosion. I’ve changed a few now. You’ll need a deep socket if I recall to get the second bearing back on once you’ve replaced the axle.

please don't use a lump hammer - that butchery. amateurism.

dead blow hammer is what you want.

next thing you'll be saying some contraption using a spoke, a hub and two litres of white emulsion.

#doitproperly
    #don'tgiveittothatbloke
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gezebo
    I probably should have said you don’t need to hit it particularly hard but the shock you put through the axle can help free a chemically bonded outer race and hub face rather than repeatedly hitting it with a dead blow or rubber mallet. Good luck with it.