Estepona or similar destination

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited August 2019 in Tour & expedition
Anyone have any experience of cycling in the vicinity of Estepona in Spain? I'm looking for a suitable destination for myself and a few work colleagues around March/April next year. Estepona has been suggested because we may have access to a "mates' rates" apartment but this is not necessarily the driver for the trip and we would consider alternatives.
Pre-requisistes are
Decent weather
Easy flights within 2-3 hours of UK
Nice routes of 50-70 miles - planning on doing 3 days cycling.
Quality road bike hire - potential to take our own bikes but could be a bit of a squeeze to get 4 people and their kit into a hire vehicle.

Mallorca is an obvious alternative but, much as I love it, I'm looking for a bit of a change of scenery.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Denia
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I haven't cycled around Estepona, but know it well. I often see cyclists around so clearly there is a strong cycling culture. But - and for me it's a big but - along pretty much the entirety of the coast down there is a very fast dual-carriageway. Basically a two lane motorway. I often see what look like club rides heading out on it, no doubt to turn off and cycle up into the hills. However, there is no way you'd get me on it. The drivers are nuts and the thought of being on a bike is petrifying. That having been said, if you do go into the hills, which are pretty easily accessible from Estepona and nearby, then there are some lovely roads. I haven't been to Marbella, but I don't get the impression people take the same care / are as used to bikes in Estepona as they are in Marbella.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Thanks for the replies. Might need to look at an alternative destination. Cheers.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"