Trek Domane 2020 model vs 2019

boulderholder
boulderholder Posts: 12
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking into getting a Trek Domane and the 2020 MK3 models have just been released and will be available at the end of August (according to Trek) This means that the previous MK2 models are available at a discounted price. Is there any benefit in waiting for the MK3 model (SL6) or pick up the soon to be discontinued model SL6 at a discounted price?

The main benefits seem to be bigger tyre clearance and frame change/looks. Otherwise the spec seems identical, as does the geometry. The weight seems to be a bit of a hurdle on the new SL6 at 9.22kg on a 56cm bike (MK2 8.6kg).

What do you think, new version or discounted old?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you don't want to max out on tyre size then go for the cheaper outgoing model surely?
  • I was thinking the same thing, as the bike will be used on the road 98% of the time. It's just that wink and lure of the 'latest' model and new fancy looks..
  • keef66
    Which do you like the look of most? I often find I prefer the outgoing paint jobs. And do you yet know how big the price reduction might be?
  • I've not seen the new bike in the flesh yet (visiting Trek flagship store in sheffield at the weekend) so it's difficult to tell. I once coveted a bike from images online, but hated it when I saw it in real life.

The discount would be just under £700 for last years model.

I basically wanted an endurance bike with disc brakes and larger tyres, but keeping the weight down below the weight of my own bike preferably - under 9kg..
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I'd get the 2019 one. The tyre clearance is still pretty decent and if it's being used on the road 98% of the time you don't need 35-38mm tyres.

There's the usual guff about the new model being more aero but it's probably all just marketing nonsense. Stuff like deeper wheels, close fitting clothing and an aero helmet would probably provide as much, if not more benefit then a slightly more aero frame.
  • keef66
    For £700 I'd definitely get the older model!
  • Where are they on sale for that discount, please?

:-)
  • There’re a few places with 15-20% discount. I looked on Swift Cycles, who were cheap. JeJames has some great deals on cannondales.. so tempted

This looks nice: https://roadcycleexchange.com/products/ ... gLTN_D_BwE
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    I would definately get the new 2020 model as this has the T47 bottom bracket (external threaded) instead of the BB90 which on my Trek Domane 5.2 has been replaced 3 times.
    The 2020 model does seem rather porky though compared to the old model !
  • The bottom bracket has been my main concern but I was assured by the trek store that it would be covered by warranty if anything were to go wrong.
  • rando
    The bottom bracket has been my main concern but I was assured by the trek store that it would be covered by warranty if anything were to go wrong.

That maybe true but mine was sent back to Trek several times and it was a pain for me being without my bike for several weeks at a time. i was also hoping for a replacement frame after it was sent back for a second time but they only replaced/repaired the BB on mine.
  • Oh no, that sounds like a real pain in the ass! Did you have to pay the labour or any costs on the bike throughout this process?
  • rando
    Oh no, that sounds like a real pain in the ass! Did you have to pay the labour or any costs on the bike throughout this process?

No i didn't have to pay anything - just took bike to shop and then picked up again a couple of weeks later !
    I am sure lots of people ride Treks with the BB90 and have no issues but I own 2 Domanes (1 carbon & 1 Alu) and both had issues. I really like my Domane other than this issue though and am seriously considering a new one with the T47 BB.
    Also considering a Specialized Roubaix that now has a external threaded BB.
  • rando wrote:
    Oh no, that sounds like a real pain in the ass! Did you have to pay the labour or any costs on the bike throughout this process?

No i didn't have to pay anything - just took bike to shop and then picked up again a couple of weeks later !
    I am sure lots of people ride Treks with the BB90 and have no issues but I own 2 Domanes (1 carbon & 1 Alu) and both had issues. I really like my Domane other than this issue though and am seriously considering a new one with the T47 BB.
    Also considering a Specialized Roubaix that now has a external threaded BB.

You must be really unlucky. I've had an older generation Madone and now have an Emonda both with BB90. They have been fit and forgot for me.
  • gandrew
    gandrew Posts: 1
    rando wrote:
    I would definitely get the new 2020 model as this has the T47 bottom mcdvoice bracket (external threaded) instead of the BB90 which on my Trek Domane 5.2 has been replaced 3 times.
    The 2020 model does seem rather porky though compared to the old model !
    That's what i think too. I do have same thought as yours on this