Buyers view on buying frame set or complete bike

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have a brand new Kinesis Racelight T3 frameset with the Tracer 1.5 full Carbon fork.
I am wondering whether to sell it as a frameset or a complete bike.
I appreciate that some people buy new bikes and may swap out a few bits on it to their taste. I am thinking with the Kinesis it’s generally perceived as a winter bike so I also thought about building it up as a new bike with the brand new Shimano 105 R7000 parts from a brand new donor bike, plus brand new long drop calipers, seatpost, wheels and bars etc

The frameset has warranty and I have the receipt for it too including the headset and fitting.

I think some people may also prefer a well spec’d winter bike that is built and ready to go.
I guess in a nutshell it’s parts vs complete bike. It’s just extra hassle selling all the individual items.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    warranty may not be transferable post sale so doesn't make a lot of difference.

receipts are just bits of paper.

if you're going to do something with the groupset and its economically viable to keep it then sell the frame set, otherwise shift the whole thing - you'll only end up with an old groupset in a box gathering dust

#sellitall
    #buyaRittewithObermayers
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stevenb
    warranty may not be transferable post sale so doesn't make a lot of difference.

receipts are just bits of paper.

if you're going to do something with the groupset and its economically viable to keep it then sell the frame set, otherwise shift the whole thing - you'll only end up with an old groupset in a box gathering dust

#sellitall
    #buyaRittewithObermayers

What I would like to know is your view on whether you (as a buyer) would prefer to buy the Kinesis as a whole bike or as a frameset to build yourself.
  • Matthewfalle
    depends on price, what groupset, condition of groupset, what i have in the garage, what i'm going to do with it, how mechanically competent i am, etc.

not being difficult, its just tricky to know without seeing it all - i have a full spare ultegra groupset in the garage but its not worth popping it on a bashed up frame that only seserves, say, the 105 on it.....

#horsesforcoursez

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    brand new as yours - frameset.

#don'tbuyitbuildit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Save yourself the hassle of building up then stripping down the bike. Sell them separately. Lost count of the number of times I've seen on here people trying to sell complete bikes but failing, then selling the separate bits easily.

Just be realistic about the prices you ask for them.

And what size is the frame??
  • stevenb
    The Kinesis I have is a 54cm.
    I knew about bikes not selling well as a complete bike but I thought with the Kinesis they are pretty generic as most people would fit on 105 or Apex/Rival.

I’ve historically sold parts for very competitive prices anyway as it makes sense to just get the sold rather than gathering dust. At the moment I have so many parts that I thought it would be good to put them to use on a bike.

I also have a 2016 Felt F75 which I stripped and rebuilt with SRAM Force, and other quality parts I already had. I know if I strip that to keep my Force group set, I probably wouldn’t be able to sell the frameset. The brand new Kinesis would certainly be easier to sell being new and better known.
  • keef66
    Thing is that your choice of wheels, tyres, finishing kit etc may not be to others' tastes, so you're restricting the number of potential buyers. If I was in the market for a new winter bike I'd seriously consider a T3 frameset but I'd want to build it up myself

(I'm not, I already have a Tk, and it's too big for me anyway)
  • stevenb
    keef66 wrote:
    Thing is that your choice of wheels, tyres, finishing kit etc may not be to others' tastes, so you're restricting the number of potential buyers. If I was in the market for a new winter bike I'd seriously consider a T3 frameset but I'd want to build it up myself

Thanks for the feedback.
    :)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    #don'tbuyitbuildit
    ^^^^This^^^^^^
    I built my last three MTBs and my last 2 Road bikes from the Frame set up.Might not be as economical as buying fully built but is more economical than buying built then upgrading 8) Plus you get your bike from the outset 8)
    #buildingisallpartofthefun
  • stevenb
    Sniper68 wrote:
    #don'tbuyitbuildit
    ^^^^This^^^^^^
    I built my last three MTBs and my last 2 Road bikes from the Frame set up.Might not be as economical as buying fully built but is more economical than buying built then upgrading 8) Plus you get your bike from the outset 8)
    #buildingisallpartofthefun

Hi,

I'm not building it for myself it would be to sell onwards. I'm going to think about this once the new bike arrives.

I don't know what the hashtag stuff means that you guys are posting. I don't use twitter etc. Do they have any actual meaning?
  • keef66
    stevenb wrote:
    I don't know what the hashtag stuff means that you guys are posting. I don't use twitter etc. Do they have any actual meaning?

No, it's just meaningless banter
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    My old bike was a GT Grade which I stripped and sold on eBay - altogether I got over £1100 for it all. If I had sold it as a complete bike I would have been lucky to get £650 for it.

I recently built my Kinesis 4S Disc - shopped around and bought the components from various on-line retailers to get what I wanted. I kept a few bits off my old bike too. I've never done anything like it before and when it was finally completed I was scared to ride it because I built it ha ha ha!

At times it was frustrating and I swore quite a bit but I've been using it for commuting for around 6 x weeks now and absolutely loving it. I would recommend it to anyone......and remember You Tube your best friend.
  • Matthewfalle
    keef66 wrote:
    stevenb wrote:

#bantz
    discount code 12

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stevenb
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    My old bike was a GT Grade which I stripped and sold on eBay - altogether I got over £1100 for it all. If I had sold it as a complete bike I would have been lucky to get £650 for it.

I recently built my Kinesis 4S Disc - shopped around and bought the components from various on-line retailers to get what I wanted. I kept a few bits off my old bike too. I've never done anything like it before and when it was finally completed I was scared to ride it because I built it ha ha ha!

At times it was frustrating and I swore quite a bit but I've been using it for commuting for around 6 x weeks now and absolutely loving it. I would recommend it to anyone......and remember You Tube your best friend.

I'm fine building bikes anyway as I've done it many times.
    In fact, I enjoy it more than buying a new bike as it comes.
    Going to try and justify the old n+1 route and keep the Felt F75 and Kinesis and make space for the CAAD13,
    Hoping to perhaps get a gravel bike after that.
    More hanging brackets in the garage I think.

#morespaceinthegaragemeansmorebikes

My first ever hashtag....
    #imnotjoking
  • Matthewfalle
    stevenb wrote:

#morespaceinthegaragemeansmorebikes

My first ever hashtag....
    #imnotjoking

#looksgoodtome

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    #Ivestarteddoingitinworkemails

#reallypissespeopleoff
  • stevenb
    keef66 wrote:

#reallypissespeopleoff
    :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    stevenb wrote:

What I would like to know is your view on whether you (as a buyer) would prefer to buy the Kinesis as a whole bike or as a frameset to build yourself.

I would probably buy a Colnago Master frameset, but equally I would probably buy a Kinesis full bike. It's never going to be anyone's "dream frameset" so people will be equally happy to compromise with the components that are already there, rather than bother building it up...

That said, there might be folks who are in need of a second hand framset, rather than full bike...

On balance, I would sell it as a full bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    keef66 wrote:
    stevenb wrote:

Yup. And repetitive.

#notevenfunnythefirsttime
  • Matthewfalle
    keef66 wrote:

#reallypissespeopleoff

#stupendouswork
    #discountcode61
    #aisle19

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • It's always easier to sell a frame and parts. I've recently spent ages trying to sell a couple of bikes then just end up splitting them and sell the lot almost straight away. Just wait until Ebay are doing a £1 listing offer.