Clothing?

leemolyneux
leemolyneux Posts: 24
edited August 2019 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm not new to cycling but I'm going to be trying lycra for the 1st time. I've seen some gear I like but.... If I buy bib tights do I wear a Jersey over the top straps? Are bib tights better than waist tights?
L.Molyneux

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Go for a skin tight base layer (I prefer the vest type), bib shorts over that and then jersey over that.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    And yes bib tights are better. The straps keep them from slipping down and having your lower back (and builders bum) out.
  • :lol: thanks.
    Zeee wrote:
    And yes bib tights are better. The straps keep them from slipping down and having your lower back (and builders bum) out.
    L.Molyneux
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    +1, it's just so much more comfy - I stuck with waist shorts for a couple of years, but it really is night and day, no waist line to dig in.

You probably know already, but they need to be 'fitted' if you want the pad to stay in one place, and also the straps need to be relatively tight to back this up.

Tip when putting a pair on, if they have grippers of any kind on the hems, roll them up so they are out of the way, sumo your way in until the pad is in the right place, and only then roll the grippers back down onto your legs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    Daniel B wrote:
    +1, it's just so much more comfy - I stuck with waist shorts for a couple of years, but it really is night and day, no waist line to dig in.

You probably know already, but they need to be 'fitted' if you want the pad to stay in one place, and also the straps need to be relatively tight to back this up.

Tip when putting a pair on, if they have grippers of any kind on the hems, roll them up so they are out of the way, sumo your way in until the pad is in the right place, and only then roll the grippers back down onto your legs.
    This is a sure fire way to end up with bell-bottomed cycling shorts.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Daniel B wrote:

Has never caused me any issues, multiple makes too.
    I like a tight compressive fit though, so maybe not as applicable if you go for a more relaxed fit?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Daniel B wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I like a tight compressive fit though, so maybe not as applicable if you go for a more relaxed fit?

brilliant - people arguing about how to put on a pair of shorts. admittedly the first post advising someone on how to put a pair of shorts on was fairly appalling.

#ridiculous
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Daniel B wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Lycra is, by definition, going to be a tight, close fit. If your shorts are a ‘relaxed’ fit then you have the wrong size. Also to add that I have never, in about 30 years, put on bib shorts like that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    But if there is a debate to be had about how to put bibs on then the first tip is to never use the bibs to pull them up.
    #lessonlearnedthehardway
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    PBlakeney wrote:
    But if there is a debate to be had about how to put bibs on then the first tip is to never use the bibs to pull them up.
    #lessonlearnedthehardway

remember to have the pad on the inside as well.

#dressing101

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    #lessonlearnedthehardway

remember to have the pad on the inside as well.

#dressing101
    And the right way round.

#dressing102
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    However if you are 5 years old bib shorts are probably not a good idea especially if you have only just got the hang of a stand up wee and it needs both hands. So a wee stop means tops off and bibs down to your knees.
    So grandpa’s buy of proper grown up cycling shorts was a bit ambitious.
  • pblakeney
    Webboo wrote:
    However if you are 5 years old bib shorts are probably not a good idea especially if you have only just got the hang of a stand up wee and it needs both hands. So a wee stop means tops off and bibs down to your knees.
    5 years old and two hands?
    #Impressive.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle
    #bigboy'swee

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Webboo wrote:

Or you could just pull the bibs down a bit at the front.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.