Heatwave

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited July 2019 in The cake stop
This heatwave is caused by wind from the North African Sahara moving north into Europe. We just need to reclaim the desert to prevent this. Without shade from trees the ground heats up, the air heats up, it no longer rains, the soil dries out and gets blown away and the land turns to desert. Then the edges of the desert are parched, the vegetation dies and the desert grows. This has been going on for thousands of years while CO2 levels have only risen in the last 40. We can solve all of this just by reclaiming the desert. The Chinese have been doing it for 50 years and they have reclaimed an area the size of the Netherlands from the Gobi desert. The Gobi is now reducing in size. All these countries with desert and high populations can get to work seeding forests. They will have work to occupy them, land to grow and live on and it requires nothing more than seeds and labour. Anyone can do it. Forget technological solutions they don't work they just cause more pollution.

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    earth wrote:
    This heatwave is caused by wind from the North African Sahara moving north into Europe. We just need to reclaim the desert to prevent this. Without shade from trees the ground heats up, the air heats up, it no longer rains, the soil dries out and gets blown away and the land turns to desert. Then the edges of the desert are parched, the vegetation dies and the desert grows. This has been going on for thousands of years while CO2 levels have only risen in the last 40. We can solve all of this just by reclaiming the desert. The Chinese have been doing it for 50 years and they have reclaimed an area the size of the Netherlands from the Gobi desert. The Gobi is now reducing in size. All these countries with desert and high populations can get to work seeding forests. They will have work to occupy them, land to grow and live on and it requires nothing more than seeds and labour. Anyone can do it. Forget technological solutions they don't work they just cause more pollution.

You are referring to the Three-North Shelter Forest Program.

You make it sound very simple but the evidence is that it is not simple nor effective. What's more, the Gobi is NOT REDUCING IN SIZE, it is increasing in size rapidly.

If as you rightly say deserts have been growing for thousands of years but CO2 levels risen far more recently, this suggests that deserts are not causing the rise in CO2, thus reducing their size (if possible) won't help.

As for putting the slaves to work .. OMG
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076
    earth wrote:
    We can solve all of this just by reclaiming the desert.

Great. Just need it to be a bit less dry then I guess for these plants to grow, and everything's going to be fine?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    earth wrote:

Surely you troll. In case you don't, try planting a seed in dry sand and let us know how you get on.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,490
    Why not simply enjoy the nice weather that you haven’t had to pay money and time to travel to? People look forward to holidays but moan when we get the same weather here.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,392
    there was me thinking it was something complicated to do with fluid dynamics and the impact of increased system energy, melting polar ice, disrupted jet stream etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • earth
    Robert88 wrote:

If as you rightly say deserts have been growing for thousands of years but CO2 levels risen far more recently, this suggests that deserts are not causing the rise in CO2, thus reducing their size (if possible) won't help.

I'm suggesting the rise in CO2 is not causing desertification.

There is no doubt that desert has to be reclaimed, climate change or not. Otherwise there is nowhere to grow food or live.
  • earth
    rjsterry wrote:
    earth wrote:

Surely you troll. In case you don't, try planting a seed in dry sand and let us know how you get on.

It can be done and is being done.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076
    earth wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

I'm suggesting the rise in CO2 is not causing desertification.

There is no doubt that desert has to be reclaimed, climate change or not. Otherwise there is nowhere to grow food or live.

Hello from the UK.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    earth wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    earth wrote:

With irrigation, yes. Which empties the aquifers very quickly. Also, I thought we weren't relying on technological solutions, so irrigation is out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • earth
    rjsterry wrote:
    earth wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    earth wrote:

With irrigation, yes. Which empties the aquifers very quickly. Also, I thought we weren't relying on technological solutions, so irrigation is out.

You start at the edges and work inwards. As the vegetation returns the soil retains rain and releases it slowly and constantly. It's been demonstrated that rivers and lakes return. Landslides and erosion stop. As the air temperature lowers it rains more frequently. But regardless of this would you rather the desert advances until there is nothing else or would you rather the land is habitable?
  • I'm really good at reclaiming desserts....
  • earth
    jeffbwood wrote:
    I'm really good at reclaiming desserts....

I also enjoy the odd Baked Alaska
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,963
    You are Mike Vanderman and I claim my £5
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,028
    I can reveal that Cambridge was indeed quite warm (38 C)

I can also reveal south facing 19th century terrace house bedrooms do also get quite warm in warm weather.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I drive a bus for a living, and thankfully work night shifts. Piloting a 40ftx14ftx8ft mobile green house is no real entertainment in weather like yesterday. Went to check my vehicle for last night's workings only to find it had been parked in direct sunlight for a number of hours, all windows and doors closed, no ventilation. I opened the doors and it was significantly warmer than the ambient temperature, at midnight.

9 of the 10 hottest years on record have been recorded this century, and CO2 levels have been on the rise for the last 40 years. My suggestion is that were getting something wrong somewhere along the line. Reclaiming the desert isn't the answer. We need to stop deforestation, which has been on the rise for all of those 40 years. Build in the desert, and make the land arable - even if we need technological solutions - and leave the trees alone. The last 70 years has accounted for more than half of the trees on the planet. I'll be dead before we run out of resources, but my grand kids, and maybe some of my children (misspent youth) will suffer the effects.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I thought it was a thread about these lads

https://youtu.be/k7LfX9Me2GY
  • earth
    Ethiopia 350 million trees planted

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/29/afri ... index.html
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,963
    All these people complaining about the heat should STFU, from 30+ degrees on Thursday to torrential rain on Monday.

I bet you're regretting whining now...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • earth
    All these people complaining about the heat should STFU, from 30+ degrees on Thursday to torrential rain on Monday.

I bet you're regretting whining now...

Me? I'm not complaining about the heat or the rain. Sun, rain, CO2, all the things required for plant growth so who's to complain - vegetarians?. I'm just saying the heatwave is from North Africa which is predominantly desert. There is nothing to shade the land so the sun heats it up and then the air. But regardless of the weather if the deserts keep advancing there will be no where to live.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    The problem is capitalism. Putting short term profit before humanity's needs. Until we change how we organise society nothing will change. As deep throat said "Follow the money".

Oh, and another thing

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,490
    Heatwave, Heatwave
    Are we rich or poor ?
    Does it matter anymore?
    Heatwave
    Will I tell you ?
    Will you listen ?
    If I tell you, what will happen ?
    Heatwave,…
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.