Women Hardtail XC mtb under £1000 advice please

biki14
biki14 Posts: 2
edited September 2019 in Women
Hi,

We are looking for a hardtail XC mtb for my wife for up to £1000.

Couple of the bikes on a shortlist are:
Cube Access WS SL Eagle 2019
Cannondale Women Trail 1 Tango Eagle 2020; both currently available for appr. £900.

Is there anything else with single chainset 1x12 or 1x11 gear that You would recommend ?
Thank you for your help :)

Comments

• You could always just go for a small mens' model - my ex-GF used to ride a mens' bike, and it suited her fine...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would suggest going to a large bike shop to test ride a few bikes. We did this and my wife really liked the third MTB she tried so we bought it. They can have second hand bikes in very good condition. The key thing is get a bike that fits well and makes her want to get out and ride it.
  • I second the 'good fit' over any concept of a specific 'woman's bike', which will most likely just be exactly the same as a men's apart from colour and a shorter handlebar stem, maybe a different saddle form. The bike shop should be able to set the bike up roughly for height and reach etc so then it's just a matter of trying them out.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Giant have a bike brand dedicated to the female form. It is called "Liv". It extends to different shaped pedals, grips, saddles etc, as well as a different geometry. It goes way beyond "shrink it and pink it", which has been the response of some brands.

But they have to make assumptions about how different the average female geometry is vs the average male. Unless your wife has that average geometry, she may find a bike designed for men, but suited to her height and leg length, a much better fit.

You have to try them out. But you can get a good idea, even just sat in the bike shop. This article from Bike Radar on how to get the perfect mtb fit may prove helpful.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fitness-and-training/technique-perfect-mountain-bike-fit/
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    OP hasn't logged back in for months so probably won'y see your replies. Probably bought a bike in the last few months as well.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    JBA said:

OP hasn't logged back in for months so probably won'y see your replies. Probably bought a bike in the last few months as well.

Well spotted! I only saw this thread because someone else replied and it flagged up to me as new. I must stay more alert! :(