Rear lights to fit shoes

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all.
I've been looking for a new rear road bike light as mine exploded upon coming loose and hitting the and was wondering if anyone has ever bought/used any red rear lights that attach to the heel of your shoes.
I've read that motorists don't see rear red flashing lights that well but the up and down movement of red lights attached to your heels make a movement that motorists pickup and notice due to the irregular movement.
Anyone used or have experience of these type of lights.
Thanks
T.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think there are some overshoes that have LED's built in. Runners have something similar that go round the back of their trainers.

Definitely make sure you have proper road legal lights on the bike as well. I'd rather go bright and that involves a bit of weight with the battery and LED and lends itself to being on the bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Decathlon do a small clip on rear light that you could probably fit to your socks/overshoes or shoes at a stretch ...
    search for - B'TWIN CL 100 LED USB Rear Bike Light
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Sorry, where did you read this “I've read that motorists don't see rear red flashing lights that well“?

All I’ve read indicates that a flashing rear light attracts attention better, and a solid rear light helps a following driver judge distance to the object. The way our eyes work from our hunter killer days mean we are good at spotting movement, hence the flashing or as you state, the lights moving up and down.

PP
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Sorry, where did you read this “I've read that motorists don't see rear red flashing lights that well“?

All I’ve read indicates that a flashing rear light attracts attention better, and a solid rear light helps a following driver judge distance to the object. The way our eyes work from our hunter killer days mean we are good at spotting movement, hence the flashing or as you state, the lights moving up and down.

PP
    I read that someone had done research into cycling and safety and the best options to be seen easier by other road users.
    One finding was the colour orange for clothing as it's not a natural colour seen on roads.
    They mentioned that road users may see a red light flashing or other but they don't automatically register that it's a cyclist whereas a light or reflective material moving up and down like lights on your heels makes an unnatural movement so they key into the movement and are more likely to register it as a cyclist and take greater care.
    Don't know who wrote it but it was someone from a cycling/safety background which as I read it did make a lot of sense.
    The reference to red flashing rear lights was written to infer road users don't automatically register the light as a cyclist so don't initially take greater care when passing etc.
    I will have to find it and post a link as it was an interesting read.
    T
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    https://www.evanscycles.com/sealskinz-n ... SO_Cycling Overshoes_SealSkinz_No Year_Normal&esvwa=NISO_Cycling Overshoes_SealSkinz_No Year_Normal&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Clothing_Cycling Overshoes&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Clothing_Cycling Overshoes&esvt=60698-GOUKE5720294&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1358552-1&esvcrea=316737467671&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-644432013783:pla-431571178706&esvo=EV326956-M-BKRD&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgIDO8J3S4wIVh7PtCh14CgOBEAQYAiABEgKVfvD_BwE