Decent tool bottle

ridgeway_swiss
ridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone know of any decent tool bottles ? mine is pretty knackered after a few tumbles and user abuse :lol:

Looking for a good quality one with a full opening top (not a narrow neck), a good size too rather than a small one would be great.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Anyone know of any decent tool bottles ? mine is pretty knackered after a few tumbles and user abuse :lol:

Looking for a good quality one with a full opening top (not a narrow neck), a good size too rather than a small one would be great.

It's not cheap as such, but I like the Topeak cagepack very much - only use it for shorter rides, but means I can carry less in my jersey, but has to be for single bottle rides really.

top_euktc2300bg-2.jpg

*Appreciate is not a bottle, but it will fit in a cage :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Seconded for the Topeak one. I used the Zefal top opening one for a couple of years, and while it was OK, it was an arse to get anything out of it unless it was at the top. The Topeak one opens out so its easy to find everything.
  • Daniel B wrote:

It's not cheap as such, but I like the Topeak cagepack very much - only use it for shorter rides, but means I can carry less in my jersey, but has to be for single bottle rides really.

top_euktc2300bg-2.jpg

*Appreciate is not a bottle, but it will fit in a cage :D

That's a very cool idea, never thought of that and i like the access as written above. Anyone know what pump that is that fits inside, would be even cooler if i could get my pump in there !
  • daniel_b
    I have a small Lezyne road drive, and that fits comfortably.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    That Cage Pack does look good.
    I've got a Lezyne flow caddy which is good and comes with or without an internal organiser.
    109279-1.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    DFS has a selection of tool bottles for a fiver or so. Some less offensive than others

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/accessori ... ttle-cages
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just cut the top off of an old bidon about an inch under the curve. Fill it with your tools etc and work the top section over the lower half.

https://youtu.be/nBO6TKjufkI
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Put your tools in a condom and drop into a bottle and top up with water. That way you still get something to drink in there.
  • daniel_b
    Put your tools in a condom and drop into a bottle and top up with water. That way you still get something to drink in there.

New or used?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    OP, As you have asked for a "decent" tool bottle I will suggest that you steer clear of Planet X. I have tried 2 when they were about £1 each . The Jobsworth one went in the bin I could not get the zip to go around the corners. The 365 does the job but deforms in the cage and is hard to remove.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    I have the large Zefal one and agree it can be a pain getting the stuff out but I carry a spanner and a ratchet as I ride fixed on the commute and depending which wheel I have in I need a 6mm hex key or a 15mm spanner. The bottle works but I can see the advantage of the soft case
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Daniel B wrote:

New or used?
    That’s weather dependant, right now Electrolytes are essential in this heat
  • lesfirth wrote:
    OP, As you have asked for a "decent" tool bottle I will suggest that you steer clear of Planet X. I have tried 2 when they were about £1 each . The Jobsworth one went in the bin I could not get the zip to go around the corners. The 365 does the job but deforms in the cage and is hard to remove.

Thanks for that
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    Vittoria every day of the week, fits a topeak micro rocket pump inside it ( plus 2 gases and head, 2 tubes and a multi tool with careful packing.
    Colnago Addict!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    handful wrote:

the MFs have one of those and they reccomend it very much so indeed, see

#tools
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    edward.s wrote:
    Seconded for the Topeak one. I used the Zefal top opening one for a couple of years, and while it was OK, it was an ars* to get anything out of it unless it was at the top. The Topeak one opens out so its easy to find everything.

Certainly true of the Zefal bottle. Whilst you can get a lot in with careful packing especially if you use the whole bottle & don't take off the top section, getting anything out at the bottom is real pain especially when you've packed it so well.

How waterproof is that Topeak one?
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,144
    I've got a Vitorria one and a couple of Planet X ones... and the PX ones are just as good. They sell them for £1 or £2 sometimes so a fiver is too much, might as well get the real thing at that price especially with delivery costs.
    I actually prefer ones without organisers, because you can get that much more in and they don't rattle if you pack well. Mine fits 2 long valve inner tubes, a CO2 pump and two cartridges, one with a gaffer tape sleeve, a multitool, a chain link, a couple of tie-wraps and usually enough space for a mini tube of HIgh 5 zero tabs. They aren't totally 100% waterproof because water can get through the zip, but I have never had an issue with stuff getting wet on long rides.
  • Or one of these. Cheap, works well. No frills...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Pro/St ... 5EQAvD_BwE
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Cheap one from Decathlon.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tool-storage-bottle-700-ml-id_8324324.html

Unfortunately my bottle holder didn't have enough grip and the tool bottle destroyed itself flying down the road.