Hydraulic Disc Brake Hose - Any difference?

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
I am aware of the huge difference a good set of cables can have on regular cable operated brakes, is the same true for Hydraulics? While I have the cables off and out of the frame, I thought I'd ask to see if its worth an upgrade? If so, any recommendations?

Shimano DI2 Hydro if it makes any difference?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Not really. If you had really rubbish hoses which expanded under pressure then they'd be worth replacing, but Shimano hoses are good already.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lots of friction in cable brakes, and differences in housings (eg Nokon, compressionless) so the various manufacturers of aftermarket stuff can claim their cables are in some way better than OEM stuff.

No scope really to do that with hydraulic hoses. I'd be very sceptical if anyone claimed their aftermarket hoses could improve braking. As above, providing they aren't defective / expanding under pressure, leave them alone.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Cheers peeps, sounds like I should only consider it if I want to colour match my cables.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Out of interest, does anyone have a name for where you can buy quality hydraulic hose by the metre or by the coil?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I don’t think it is available retail (well, Shimano anyhow). There are some eBay listings but they seem to say sold out. Best bet would be to see if your local bike shop would order one in for you.

PP