10 speed triple chainset to replace 9 speed triple?

voicycle
voicycle Posts: 95
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone know if a 10 speed triple crankset can be used to replace a 9 speed triple without changing any other parts of the drivetrain? Is the spacing/chainline the same?

I need to change crank length on my 9 speed triple touring bike (FC-T4060) and would like to use a nicer 10 speed triple if it's compatible without changing anything else. Can't seem to find a definite answer though.

Like-for-like replacement is an obvious proposition, but if possible I'd like to upgrade from the existing Alivio model in the process. Looks like everything available up the range is going to be for a 10 speed triple setup though. My googling is turning up conflicting information on compatibility so I'm here looking for expertise.

Thanks!

--
Further info if needed:
Current setup is an Alivio FC-T4060 48/36/26 175mm and being shifted by a Sora FD-3503. Shifters are current gen Sora ST-R3000. I need to go to 170mm cranks and should probably change gearing to 44/32/22 at the same time if it's easy to do so.

I can get the shorter/smaller T4060 for less than £50.
I can get what I think is the previous generation Deore 9 speed FC-M591 44/32/22 for £90. Definitely compatible but I'm not sure if going up a groupset but back a generation is actually much of an upgrade.

If 10 speed models will work then I could also get DeoreLX FC-T671 44/32/24 for ~£150
Or in the interest of the slimmer Q Factor could get XT FC-T8000 48/36/26 for ~£150 and hope the improved ergonomics make up for the fact that I'd have the same (actually effectively larger) gearing as I do at present. Would probably involve an additional £100 on chainrings down the line if the gamble doesn't pay off, but it looks like this is the best triple chainset available for my needs by miles.

The bike only really gets out a couple times a year now, but that's with 20-30kg of luggage for 4-14 day tours. Now that I'm regularly training on my racing bikes with 170mm cranks I find my knees just can't handle the jump to 175mm riding anymore.
Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
2020 Ribble CGR SL
2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    10 speed rings might be infinitessimally closer together than 9 speed but the chainline should be the same and I'd guess it will work with the rest of your kit (with a 10 speed chain)