Hybrid bike. Advice please? Which one

vince133
vince133 Posts: 61
edited October 2019 in Commuting general
Hi. I am looking to buy a new hybrid bike. Budget about £500. Will mainly be used for family cycling. New forest,Peak District cycle paths sort of stuff. I have come up with some options below.

Giant escape disc 2
Trek dual sport 2
Trek Fx 2 disc

Any advice or experiences appreciated. I do a lot of road biking but now need to replace my aging hybrid and don’t really know that much about hybrids.

Thanks

Comments

• kovacsa
    kovacsa Posts: 44
    Vince133 wrote:
    Hi. I am looking to buy a new hybrid bike. Budget about £500. Will mainly be used for family cycling. New forest,Peak District cycle paths sort of stuff. I have come up with some options below.

Giant escape disc 2
    Trek dual sport 2
    Trek Fx 2 disc

Any advice or experiences appreciated. I do a lot of road biking but now need to replace my aging hybrid and don’t really know that much about hybrids.

Thanks

I like my hybrid, https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/whistler/2015 (Whistler 70) I tried a few hybrids and it had the best ride quality hands down. (Much due to its light weight frame) Giant bike was heavy. Second would be a Cannandale hybrid bike. Unfortunately, Rocky Mountain doesn't produce the Whistler as of this year. Perhaps there are used ones out there.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    Have a look at a Merida Crossway, good value for money. I have one and my daughter has a Trek Dual Sport, the Merida is almost as good as the Trek for a lot less money...or better components.
  • vince133
    vince133 Posts: 61
    Thanks for your replies. Will research your suggestions as well.
  • BlumKram
    BlumKram Posts: 1
    hi,Vince
    I heard some of Whistler are good bikes, I personally have Northwoods Springdale, a friend recommended it from a guide https://www.bestadvisor.com/hybrid-bikes This model has wheel fenders and a rear rack for carrying personal items or attaching a basket, that was a big plus for me , because I always carry 1 or 2 bottles of water and other stuff. Check out the variants, might be helpful
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa, very adaptable bike and well in budget
    https://www.cyclerepublic.com/voodoo-ma ... -2018.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BlumKram wrote:
    hi,Vince
    I heard some of Whistler are good bikes, I personally have Northwoods Springdale, a friend recommended it from a guide https://www.bestadvisor.com/hybrid-bikes This model has wheel fenders and a rear rack for carrying personal items or attaching a basket, that was a big plus for me , because I always carry 1 or 2 bottles of water and other stuff. Check out the variants, might be helpful
    God what a piece of junk.

And only seems to be on sale in the US so recommending on a UK website is a bit pointless. Trying to up the hits?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes, only seems to be on sale in the US
  • Vince133 wrote:

Giant escape disc 2
    Trek dual sport 2
    Trek Fx 2 disc

Thanks

My commuter is a giant escape but I have the really cheap v brake version for the summer and can't really complain about it does exactly what I want it to do. First one last about 2 years but tbh didn't really look after it as much as I should have done but I was riding it every day. I now have bought the 2019 version and again can't fault it... (Just looking after it more than the last one this time)
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    i have a cannondale quick 2 love the bike if i was to get a new one it would be the latest version