Slightly more obscure top end shorts

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,608
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Reading up on the 7Mesh Mk3 shorts, made me stumble on a few reviews for other shorts I had either not heard of, or not considered.

Lusso Carbon V2 bibshorts - £90
Lusso DRS - £120
Hommage au velo Booty bibshorts - £100

Anyone on here tried any of them and have an opinion?

I am pretty happy with the performance of the Progetto X2 pad, plus the La Passione Classic shorts, and Rapha Pro Team shorts, but always on the lookout for other options, especially if there are improvements to be had.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    I’ve recently bought the lusso DRS.
    The factory is a 30 minute drive so I emailed and asked if I could call over to try some, they explained that it was fine but as it’s not really a customer facing type of place then I’d need to use the toilets to try them on. :mrgreen:

No issues for me, it’s proper old school and what I’d expect a sewing factory to look like in the 70s.

However, they were brilliant, the chap took loads of time to show me different products, he went into detail about the pads and material used and gave me a discount which meant I got them for £96. :D

They are very comfortable, the pad is excellent but the leg length is slightly longer for me. They offer a service in which you can return them and they’ll alter them FOC. I’ll be taking them back in a week or so.

I’m really pleased with them although I’m not sure I’ll get the “ marginal gains “ that some say the material offers. :mrgreen: It’s a slightly dimpled effect but look great.
  • daniel_b
    The Rover wrote:
    I’ve recently bought the lusso DRS.
    The factory is a 30 minute drive so I emailed and asked if I could call over to try some, they explained that it was fine but as it’s not really a customer facing type of place then I’d need to use the toilets to try them on. :mrgreen:

No issues for me, it’s proper old school and what I’d expect a sewing factory to look like in the 70s.

However, they were brilliant, the chap took loads of time to show me different products, he went into detail about the pads and material used and gave me a discount which meant I got them for £96. :D

They are very comfortable, the pad is excellent but the leg length is slightly longer for me. They offer a service in which you can return them and they’ll alter them FOC. I’ll be taking them back in a week or so.

I’m really pleased with them although I’m not sure I’ll get the “ marginal gains “ that some say the material offers. :mrgreen: It’s a slightly dimpled effect but look great.

Thanks for the reply - the DRS are the ones that caught my eye I have to say, cracking price as well!
    Notice no one else seems to sell them except for direct, wonder if they are cutting down on retailers, as Merlin used to carry a lot of their kit.

My only concern is around the sizing, as I am only 63kgish, and fit into a Castelli small, and I saw a review from someone who was 75kg and said the medium fitted him fine, so I am wondering if only the one size smaller will be sufficient.
    How do you find the sizing compared to any other brands i might be familiar with, and also how about the pad - I know you sai it was good, but how does it compare to the likes of the Progetto X2 (If you have tried one) and what length rides have you completed in them?

Would you say they are quite thin summer shorts?

I think I have quite long legs and thigs relatively, so the leg length would probably work pretty well.

The one thing I read about the Booty bibs that appealed (As someone who feels the cold) is that it stated the material was a bit thicker, and more suited to spring\autumn rides rather than any decent levels of heat we may get.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_rover
    I should have put that I’ve got some Rapha pro teams and some Castelli longs with the X2 pad.

I’d put the Rapha and Lusso’s on a par slightly above the X2.
    I’m approx 80kg and wear the medium in both the lusso and Rapha and I’ve worn both for at least 3 hours. ( health issues limit me to this at the moment )

I’ve just “ fondled “ the material on both and whilst obvs different I’d suggest they are of a similar thickness. :D
  • daniel_b
    The Rover wrote:
    I should have put that I’ve got some Rapha pro teams and some Castelli longs with the X2 pad.

I’d put the Rapha and Lusso’s on a par slightly above the X2.
    I’m approx 80kg and wear the medium in both the lusso and Rapha and I’ve worn both for at least 3 hours. ( health issues limit me to this at the moment )

I’ve just “ fondled “ the material on both and whilst obvs different I’d suggest they are of a similar thickness. :D

Thanks TR, that's cracking information :-)

What size do you wear in Rapha and Castelli?

3 hours is still a decent stint, and most shorts would show an issue within that time I would wager - I hope your health issues abate so you can ride longer soon though.

80kg and medium, I'm struggling to see how one size drop could accommodate a 16kg differential, I might drop them an e-mail and see what they say, if only they did an XS\XXS!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_rover
    I’m med in the raphas, the guy at lusso had me in a large which weren’t too bad but I preferred the med and they’ve got plenty of give around the waist and I’ve got skinny legs!

I don’t have much Castelli these days but found different models had me in either a L or XL. More usually the latter.

Thanks re the health comment, Ive had 4 shoulder ops in the last 5 yrs and my nervous system went bonkers. I suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue so 3 hours is plenty. Can’t complain, loads of folk who have similar issues struggle to get out of bed.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Cheers.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    They aren't on your list but Etxeondo make brilliant bib shorts. Orhi in particular.
  • Got a pair of Lusso Carbon V2 about 6 weeks ago. Really comfortable, especially the pad. Seem durable, too. Came off the bike going down a hill in the wet at the weekend and slid a good distance down the road. Jersey (Isadore) is ruined but the bibs came out unscathed, even though I had a big patch of road rash on my hip.
    FWIW, I'm 190/77kg and wear large in their stuff.
  • Giordana with the decent pad found in the FRC kit. They have an online outlet store.
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou gents,

Etxeondo - I actually have a couple of pairs of their Orhi shorts from a few years back, but at the time I bought medium which is now a bit too spacious for me, but will keep them for commuting.
    I bought them at the time when Merlin seemed to have bought a job lot of kit from them, and were knocking the shorts out for circa £75 iirc.
    They also had a nice amount of yellow on them which they seem to be lacking now :-(

Interesting call on the Giordana shorts - I have a pair I bought from all4cycling sat in a drawer that I have yet to wear, so may do that sooner rather than later.
    I do like their jerseys.

Looks like the Lusso shorts in a small may fit me, and also pretty much certain that if I can find any 7mesh mk3 shorts, I will need xs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Just ordered a pair of the DRS shorts from Vanilla bikes for £104, using a 5% new user discount code.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Have a look at Q36.5. They make some quality gear.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    A bit late now but Pactimo Summit are superb and they regularly do a 30% off sale. I've tried most over the years but have yet to find a better pair. for me and they are always my go to pair for a long ride. (I have 2 pairs) I think if you contact one of their brand ambassadors they can get a 30% code anytime I also tried their even more expensive "12 hour bibs" but didn't find them as good which probably highlights the often made point that we are all different and will not find the same thing comfortable.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • daniel_b
    Mr_Mojo wrote:

Will have an investigate.
    handful wrote:
    A bit late now but Pactimo Summit are superb

I ordered a pair of Pactimo shorts a long while back now, I forget the model, raptor perhaps?
    Anyway, I went small, which is the smallest they do, and as I have a short torso, the straps were loose, no way would they hold the pad in the right place sadly - no XS option, or shorter strap option, so have had to write them off as an option.

One reason the Booty shorts above appeal is the fact in the review I read it stated the straps could be considered too tight, and not big enough for someone with a longer torso - so perhaps perfect for me!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Daniel B wrote:
    Mr_Mojo wrote:

handful wrote:

I ordered a pair of Pactimo shorts a long while back now, I forget the model, raptor perhaps?
    Anyway, I went small, which is the smallest they do, and as I have a short torso, the straps were loose, no way would they hold the pad in the right place sadly - no XS option, or shorter strap option, so have had to write them off as an option.

One reason the Booty shorts above appeal is the fact in the review I read it stated the straps could be considered too tight, and not big enough for someone with a longer torso - so perhaps perfect for me!

As I said,we are all different! I find the Pactimo sizing pretty good for me, L compared to XL for Castelli but the 12 hour ones were slightly larger around the leg gripper than the Summit which was annoying. I hope the Booty ones fit you :D
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I've got a couple of pairs of 7mesh mk2 bibshorts, they are great BUT the straps are a bit slack and have too much give, i.e. I don't find them very effective at holding the shorts up, especially after a fair bit of use/washing. Bearing in mind I'm wearing size medium at 6'2", I suspect you might struggle if you are smaller and short in the torso.........

Do you use the sportpursuit website? Loads of obscure brands on there, usually around 50% off. They do Monton kit, which I think must be from the far east and apparently size up quite small which may work for you?
  • daniel_b
    handful wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Mr_Mojo wrote:

handful wrote:

As I said,we are all different! I find the Pactimo sizing pretty good for me, L compared to XL for Castelli but the 12 hour ones were slightly larger around the leg gripper than the Summit which was annoying. I hope the Booty ones fit you :D

Ah totally handful, wasn't having a go, just wanted to mention that I had tried them but they did not agree with my dimensions - not been brave enough to try any of their other offerings yet, due to the cost (with insurance) of returns, although could use the paypal return feature I guess if I was really bothered.
    I do like, and have 4 of their jerseys though, all summer thickness, 2 short, and 2 long sleeve.
    I've got a couple of pairs of 7mesh mk2 bibshorts, they are great BUT the straps are a bit slack and have too much give, i.e. I don't find them very effective at holding the shorts up, especially after a fair bit of use/washing. Bearing in mind I'm wearing size medium at 6'2", I suspect you might struggle if you are smaller and short in the torso.........

Do you use the sportpursuit website? Loads of obscure brands on there, usually around 50% off. They do Monton kit, which I think must be from the far east and apparently size up quite small which may work for you?

Oh bugger, that doesn't bode well, and hadn't picked that up in the MK2/MK3 reviews - which model/s do you have?
    My inside leg is 34", and I am 5ft 10, which gives you an indication as to my torso length.
    Bear in mind I am thinking of the XS though, it 'may' give me a fighting chance.

I have used sport pursuit in the past, but the hit and miss nature of their sales\stock frustrates me a fair amount.
    I bought direct from Monton in the past, jerseys at least, and the sizing was out of this world, NOTHING fitted me in any aspect :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Booty's now ordered, DRS incoming.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    The DRS have arrived, and they are pretty darned lush.

Initial impressions are they will be on a par with Rapha Pro Team II's, La Passione Classic shorts, Chpt3 1.N with Progetto X2 pad.

Material feels very high quality, and I was mostly convinced they would be too big for me, but spot on around the legs (They are long though) and the pad feels excellent. Only slight issue is the straps are not that tight on me, so hearing about he possibility of alterations, may drop them a line to see if that is something they could potentially tweak for me.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_rover
    Agree with your thoughts on them, really pleased with mine.
    I contacted them this week to sort out getting them altered due to the leg length.

No issues, just give us a call before calling over. :D
    Fortunately they are only a 30 min drive away. :mrgreen:

I’d be interested to hear what you think after a decent ride in them.

Cheers Stuart.

Ps. Don’t forget, you may experience some marginal gains due to the slightly dimpled material!
  • daniel_b
    The Rover wrote:
    Agree with your thoughts on them, really pleased with mine.
    I contacted them this week to sort out getting them altered due to the leg length.

No issues, just give us a call before calling over. :D
    Fortunately they are only a 30 min drive away. :mrgreen:

I’d be interested to hear what you think after a decent ride in them.

Cheers Stuart.

Ps. Don’t forget, you may experience some marginal gains due to the slightly dimpled material!

Thanks Stuart, appreciate your earlier comments :-)
    Marginal gains indeed, probably does nothing, but it does look cool 8)

Have just messaged them to see what they say re adjustments, too late in the day anyway to wear them for RL on Sunday, so will stick to the tried and tested Pro Team II shorts for that ride.

Be interested to see what they come back with, and will likely try them as is anyway.
    Going to Italy later this month, so may well take them then as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lusso beat all that other stuff in a recent Indy test, if that helps make your decison.

Also win lots of Bikes,Etc tests if that helps.

#blingdon'tmeanbest
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    Ok, so thought I should update this really.

The DRS shorts are very nice, as I said the straps are a little bit long for me, and alas they never replied to my e-mail to ask about an alteration option which was a shame.
    Overall I would say they are a good pair of shorts, though they didn't blow me away for the price.
    I wouldn't rate them any higher than La Passione Classic or Rapha Pro Team II shorts.
    Would I buy again - probably not, the strap issue makes them not optimal for me.

Hommage Au Velo Shorts - these are pretty nice, though a bit more shiny than I had expected.
    I don't overly understand the review that stated the material was thicker than other similar shorts - feels the same to me, both thickness and wind proofness wise.
    XS was and is a great fit for me.
    Overall plessed with them, probably sits at around the £80 mark in terms of quality \ pad comfort etc etc
    Would I buy again - yes I would, and in fact bagged the last two pairs in navy for commuting duty next year.

Just ordered a pair of 7Mesh MK3 shorts, as they finally came back into stock - again in XS, will be keen to see how these fair.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • +1 for Lusso DRS
  • Parentini. The ones which came with the denmark olympic kit are absolutely incredible.

Not sure what model they are. maybe one for BTR.
  • daniel_b
    So the 7Mesh shorts have arrived in XS.
    All the way from the Netehrlands - slightly bizarrely in a HUGE box, around the size that 3 shoe boxes could have been fitted into - no idea why a jiffybag\plastic bag wasn't used to be honest, or a MUCH smaller box, but there we go.

Despite my eating habits of recent weeks meaning I have added around 3kg to my proper weight, I was able to lever myself into them.
    Not as tight as my chpt3 size 30 ones though, but I still had to sumo move myself into them, which is fine, and I am used to it.
    Strap length is good, could be tighter, but seems fine.
    It is fairly low cut, so if you do have a tum, it will spill over :?
    Leg length is fine - I prefer closer to the knee, but it's within the realms of what I personally term acceptable - nice and compressive, but not too much - right balance for me - no flappage!
    Pad feels top drawer, and seems to be nice and static in position - material quality also looks to be top drawer, but then I suppose it should be for £130.

Rather (sadly) excited to try these, so am trying not to have too many expectations, but the glowing reviews have got me hoping I find the same thing.

I wil report back in due course :-)

Fwiw, I took the DRS shorts out on Sunday for a group ride, and they were superb, to qoute an overused phrase, I forgot I had them on - luckily I did have them on, as otherwise I would have been arrested.

P.S - Ordered a pair of these Ale PRR (Find their jerseys the best) shorts to try as well.
    Circa £66 after discounts and cashback etc.
    https://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-shorts/ale-prs-master-bib-shorts/11995043.html

For a change, I went for black and yellow.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2019
    The Ale shorts have arrived, and they are lush fitwise, slightly higher front that the 7Mesh ones, but material feels spot on, and also a longer leg which is my preference.

Pad feels less thick\dense than my usual favourites, (LP / Rapha) so will be intrigued to see how it fairs out on a ride.

DuQuoin-fair2.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fares
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Daniel B wrote:
    The Ale shorts have arrived, and they are lush fitwise, slightly higher front that the 7Mesh ones, but material feels spot on, and also a longer leg which is my preference.

Pad feels less thick\dense than my usual favourites, (LP / Rapha) so will be intrigued to see how it fairs out on a ride.

I have a single pair of Ale's not sure what "model" but they are shorts with a Roubaix inner, quite easily my favourite pair of shorts. Agree they come up a bit higher at the front which is good. Pad while not thick seems to do the job though.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2019
    fares

A fare point, and well made Sir - I have edited accordingly.
    Step83 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I have a single pair of Ale's not sure what "model" but they are shorts with a Roubaix inner, quite easily my favourite pair of shorts. Agree they come up a bit higher at the front which is good. Pad while not thick seems to do the job though.

They sound nice Step - sounds like an Autumn\Spring short?

h removed! Apologies.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Daniel B wrote:
    They sound nice Step - sounds like an Autumn\Spring short?

Probably are but I have been wearing them in this weird old summer we have had