race coverage, is it just me?

2»

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    tommasi wrote:

Maybe the racing would be more exciting if they weren't linked up to power meters and radio to tell them what to do

Agree, but this is a different story... the topic is: given the races as they are, is there anything TV coverage can do to make them better for the viewer?
    left the forum March 2023
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    tommasi wrote:

Maybe the racing would be more exciting if they weren't linked up to power meters and radio to tell them what to do

Agree, but this is a different story... the topic is: given the races as they are, is there anything TV coverage can do to make them better for the viewer?

I doubt it. If there's action it doesn't need jazzing up. If nothing is happening more anaylsis of the nothing happening won't make it any more exciting. Like in F1 where nobody overtakes for the whole race so they try to make a big story out of tyre compounds and stuff. zzzz

You don't have to be glued to the screen the whole time.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ITV's interviews and revolving guest commentators have added interest to some dull stages IMO.

I also rate their highlights packages, much better than Eurosport.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ITV's interviews and revolving guest commentators have added interest to some dull stages IMO.

I also rate their highlights packages, much better than Eurosport.

I always like Gary Imlach's comments too, he brings it all together in a British humoured way.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    EPC06 wrote:
    I have to work from home mostly. I have it on in the background permanently and find the noise that accompanies the bike race weirdly relaxing

^This. I've done some of my best writing with GTs on in the background.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    There's nothing more boring than a long flat stage where GC contenders are just keeping themselves safe. All the excitement is in the last few kilometers when the lead out trains start jostling for position.

Compare that type of a stage to a mountain top finish when all the GC guys are trying to rip the legs off each other. Totally gripping, I love those stages.

I'd rather watch paint dry than even watch very short highlights of the former. But the latter, for me, can be as exciting as any sport, anywhere in the world.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    bonk king wrote:
    There's nothing more boring than a long flat stage where GC contenders are just keeping themselves safe. All the excitement is in the last few kilometers when the lead out trains start jostling for position.

Compare that type of a stage to a mountain top finish when all the GC guys are trying to rip the legs off each other. Totally gripping, I love those stages.

I'd rather watch paint dry than even watch very short highlights of the former. But the latter, for me, can be as exciting as any sport, anywhere in the world.

But quite often the mountain stages are exactly like the flat stages you describe, and because we hope for better end up even more disappointing.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I quite like being able to watch the start of the stage. The fight to get a break established can be interesting and provides a good preview of the teams intentions for the day
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    But quite often the mountain stages are exactly like the flat stages you describe, and because we hope for better end up even more disappointing.[/quote]

Yes, that can also be very true. I suppose what I should have said was that the sometimes boring mountain stages are a little bit more exciting than the always boring long flat stages.☺
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Only show the final hour for most stages.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    I find it strange that timing graphics on TTs seem to be poorer now than a few years ago.
    When a rider is approaching a checkpoint it now only show the current fastest time below the rider on screen and his relative gap to him.
    They used to show a scrolling list of who was above and below the rider so that you could compare say Pinot and Porte.