Best of the Rest - 16/07/2019 - Albi *News and Views*

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    amrushton wrote:
    Looking at Pinot I felt sad. You could see the fragility that people talk about. Compare it to Brailsford who talks enthusiastically in the highlights. No wonder Sky/Ineos used Tim kerrison and Steve Peters to work with the riders. Pinot looked beaten in that interview. He lost 1.40, Yates lost 25x that on stage 19 of the Giro

In fairness it must be tough having the French equivalent of Brexitman as your boss.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    amrushton wrote:
    Looking at Pinot I felt sad. You could see the fragility that people talk about. Compare it to Brailsford who talks enthusiastically in the highlights. No wonder Sky/Ineos used Tim kerrison and Steve Peters to work with the riders. Pinot looked beaten in that interview. He lost 1.40, Yates lost 25x that on stage 19 of the Giro

In fairness it must be tough having the French equivalent of Brexitman as your boss.

Is Madiot a jambon?

Answers on a postcard to...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    Oh for sure
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Yeah it was more of a rhetorical. It's a good descriptor for him.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    amrushton wrote:

In my mind, when the splits start happening (under EFs efforts), the team radio at Ineos is like key moments on an Apollo mission while FdJ is like an aggressive parent at a kids football match.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    amrushton wrote:

In my mind, when the splits start happening (under EFs efforts), the team radio at Ineos is like key moments on an Apollo mission while FdJ is like an aggressive parent at a kids football match.

Ja well errr, Servais Knaven is, errr, ja, he is not alwaysh the most eerrr, excitable, haha ja.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    The whole Pinot/Madiot vibe was teenage boy dragged into meet the headmaster with his parents due to some minor misdemeanour to try and impress the bigger boys. The headmaster can see he puts a lot of effort into games lessons but wishes he would apply himself a little more to the choice of his friends.

As to what Pinot did to impress them, I'm not absolutely saying he hid the Qhubekah bike for a prank but it's noticeable that nobody denied it.
  • Sky have got Carapaz!? FFS....
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Sky have got Carapaz!? FFS....

Is that official? They've been trying to make that happen since last year.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    ITV highlights said Carapaz from 1st August, not officially confirmed but not really in doubt.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    The combined profiles so far. Not normal.

tour19-profile-stage1-10-920.jpg

Does look a bit giro
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    larkim wrote:
    ITV highlights said Carapaz from 1st August, not officially confirmed but not really in doubt.

they were in negotiation last year but Movi won the Giro so maybe there was some talk of him staying. movistar have a big presence in S.America. But he appears to be moving. Right move? Only time will tell but I look at certain riders (Porte/Landa) and think you guys moved and became so-so when you were an important part of the Sky team. Listened to Luke Rowe last night and he knows he isnt the winner when it comes to the TdF but he calls the shots out on the road.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    RichN95 wrote:
    amrushton wrote:

When people were talking about the riders going hard up that little rise and dropping team mates when the gap was still possible to close I had visions that they were responding to Madiot just yelling 'Allez, allez, allez' at them over the team radio. I'd love to see what Pinot could achieve if he went to Ineos, MS or another team where he was well managed and supported.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Some will no doubt join Ineos with the bravado that they will become the next leader, and then find they fall short, despite the fact that they would be leader in any other team. You can't fault the ambition, but sometimes it's better to take up a role as the best of a good team, rather than the second best of an excellent team for overall career profile, opportunities etc.

But if you think you are a future GT winner, which team would your head tell you gives you the highest likelihood of taking a title if you can earn the leader's role?

Until another team that comes along with the credible delivery plan to aim to beat Ineos, they'll remain a strong draw to the best GT riders out there. And if your career plan is to be a super-dom, then there's few better paid opportunities!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    amrushton wrote:
    larkim wrote:

they were in negotiation last year but Movi won the Giro so maybe there was some talk of him staying. movistar have a big presence in S.America. But he appears to be moving. Right move? Only time will tell but I look at certain riders (Porte/Landa) and think you guys moved and became so-so when you were an important part of the Sky team. Listened to Luke Rowe last night and he knows he isnt the winner when it comes to the TdF but he calls the shots out on the road.

He's a bit different from Porte and Landa, as he's won a GT, not podiumed. He is their 4th GC leader, but as a Giro winner he'll not want to wait for the others to get out the way. Someone's going to miss out on their chance.
  • larkim wrote:

A good move from Carapaz. He will go back to the Giro next year as defending champion with maybe Bernal as joint leader. This removes the politics of having Froome/Thomas as joint leaders for the Tour. He will then be a super dom or joint leader for the Vuelta.

He then has the chance to be team leader when Froome/Thomas retire in a proven GT winning team.

If it doesn't work out Trek, etc will always be on the lookout for GT contender.

And what ever happens he will be on a salary that will set him up for life.

The only negative is that it restricts the chances for TGH but he does not look like a bona fide GT contender yet.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    larkim wrote:

A good move from Carapaz. He will go back to the Giro next year as defending champion with maybe Bernal as joint leader. This removes the politics of having Froome/Thomas as joint leaders for the Tour. He will then be a super dom or joint leader for the Vuelta.

He then has the chance to be team leader when Froome/Thomas retire in a proven GT winning team.

If it doesn't work out Trek, etc will always be on the lookout for GT contender.

And what ever happens he will be on a salary that will set him up for life.

The only negative is that it restricts the chances for TGH but he does not look like a bona fide GT contender yet.
    And then there's Sosa and Sivakov.

I'd prefer them to hire a proper Classics rider (rumours of Benoot) rather than Carapaz, who I feel they initially wanted to sign as a super domestique.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    I'm also not sure it's the best move from Carapaz but I think it reflects the limited number of teams with the will (and finances obviously) to put all the support in place to win GTs with no distractions of aiming for stage wins or minor jerseys to keep the sponsors happy. That said, I think he good have stayed at Movistar and become their main man and they are reasonably single minded at a GT now that Valverde looks highly unlikely to be a genuine contender any longer. In addition to all the riders mentioned already I suspect TGH and, possibly, Dunbar are being prepped to become principal domestiques and, ultimately, GT leaders so that's potentially 5 very young riders with GT ambitions already in the team.