Change to flat bar advice - Boardman Carbon C7 Team

undermanager
undermanager Posts: 42
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi there

I acquired a Boardman Carbon C7 Team bike 6 months ago. It's great, except I just don't get on with the drop handlebars or these brakes / gear shifters at the front for various reasons! I want to swap to a flatbar set-up and would like some advice, please, about what to get.

1) Do I need to completely change the front and back Tiagra derailers, as well as the shifters? Could you suggest a swap? Is there a name for the type of gear fitting on the Team Carbon bike?

2) The brakes - new everything or just some new handles for a flatbar?

3) Any special requirements for the handlebar, given that it's going on a carbon bike? Suggestions?

Any suggestions of alternative kit greatfully received. I guess I'm looking for reasonable quality but cheaper rather than more expensive! It's just for Sunday cycling!

Thanks for any help to get me started.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You can get Tiagra flat bar shifters to work with the existing derailleurs.

eg https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... ZIQAvD_BwE

just need to know what version of Tiagra you've got, because they changed the pull ratio when they introduced Tiagra 4700.

You can also get Tiagra flat bar brake levers

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra ... oQQAvD_BwE
  • keef66
    You might also need a longer stem moving from drop bars to flat; depends on how stretched out you were already
  • Thanks. This is really useful.

1) The ID pressed into the derailers is "Tiagra RD 4700". Where can I find out what pull ratio is needed / which levers are compatible please? Will the suggection above at Chain reaction cycles do the trick please?

2) My brakes are Tektro R540 Calliper brakes. The suggestion above from wiggle is compatible with Super SLR brake calipers - I'm probably being thick here but are my brakes "Super SLR brake calipers"?

3) Thanks re the stem. I'm going to keep the stem length as it is for the mo but get a fork extension to raise the handlebar up. One of the problems I'm having has I get older is backache. I raised up my seating position on my mountain bike a few months ago and it's worked wonders!

4) Any recommendations for a flat bar?

This is really helpful. I'll be able to get stuff order tomorrow at this rate! Much appreciated.
  • keef66
    Thanks. This is really useful.

1) The ID pressed into the derailers is "Tiagra RD 4700". Where can I find out what pull ratio is needed / which levers are compatible please? Will the suggection above at Chain reaction cycles do the trick please?

Yes, the 4700 ones I linked to will work. Interestingly Wiggle seem to sell these separately for £10 and £15 respectively

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra ... ear-lever/

2) My brakes are Tektro R540 Calliper brakes. The suggestion above from wiggle is compatible with Super SLR brake calipers - I'm probably being thick here but are my brakes "Super SLR brake calipers"?

They will still work just fine with your Tektro brakes. I use them on my pub bike with a pair of cheap Alhonga calipers

3) Thanks re the stem. I'm going to keep the stem length as it is for the mo but get a fork extension to raise the handlebar up. One of the problems I'm having has I get older is backache. I raised up my seating position on my mountain bike a few months ago and it's worked wonders!

4) Any recommendations for a flat bar?

Sorry, no idea. Just make sure that the diameter of the central bit clamped by the stem is the correct size.

Do MTB bars and road bars use the same size??

This is really helpful. I'll be able to get stuff order tomorrow at this rate! Much appreciated.
  • Thanks, for this info and advice keef66. I appreciate the time you spent posting and giving me the benefit of your knowledge, plus the Wiggle cheaper prices tip for the gear shifters. I owe you a (virtual) beer! I've ordered everything now and will do the changeover this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!!
  • keef66
    You're welcome! Take your time.

Before you start, shift the gears into small chainring / smallest sprocket. Then unclamp the cables.

Fit the new shifters to the bars, then while pulling gently on the inner cable make sure each is clicked all the way up to the smallest sprocket / small chainring position, then connect the cables to the mechs
  • Thanks again for the help. It's all done now and looks and rides great. It was all pretty straightforward. I'll probably get a shorter stem at some point, as I fitted a fork extender, which helps, but still want to be a bit more upright. Damn back! But at the moment, it's all good.

I wish I could work out how to post a photo but failed!
  • My converted bike. Last attempt to show a pikky .....

bike_zpsebdniabt.jpg
  • keef66
    Excellent job! You should be very pleased with yourself!
  • Yes, very chuffed with the result. I went out on a 30 km spin today to give it a full test and no problems. Very interesting steering dynamics though - it's a bit like my friend's chopper in the mid 1970s that I always coveted but my parents never got me! Seriously, it all does the job well but will definitely get a stem that's half the length.

I'm also going to do my first bike build soon. I want a good touring bike but really would like to build it up from scratch so I feel in control of understanding it and repairing it on the World Tour, so will probably be back on here in the not too distant future asking for help. It's fun playing with the mechanics of bikes and once you dive in and get on with it, with the right tools, you learn so much.

Cheers again for the help.