Canyon Aeroad D-Fly Install?

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

I wanted to add the D-Fly I believe the official name is SM-EWWU111

I watched a youtube video and it seemed so simple, take off cover on the underside of the bottom bracket, pull the cable and out comes the junction box.

My bike had been rebuilt some time ago and it seems they placed the box in a slightly different position, its sitting against the back of the battery and does not easily want to move, too afraid to tug hard in case the wires comes out.

Any ideas? Do I have to take the bottom bracket out? I do not see any neat install from the port on the underside of the aero cockpit.

Not bought the d-fly as yet, wanted to know first that I could do the install.

Any help most appreciated.

Comments

• aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    jpower wrote:
    Hi,

I watched a youtube video and it seemed so simple, take off cover on the underside of the bottom bracket, pull the cable and out comes the junction box.

My bike had been rebuilt some time ago and it seems they placed the box in a slightly different position, its sitting against the back of the battery and does not easily want to move, too afraid to tug hard in case the wires comes out.

Any ideas? Do I have to take the bottom bracket out? I do not see any neat install from the port on the underside of the aero cockpit.

My D-Fly unit is attached on to the seatstay and I connected it to the rear derailleur with the shortest Di2 cable I could buy - saves all the hassle you mention above
  • jpower
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    jpower wrote:
    Hi,

My D-Fly unit is attached on to the seatstay and I connected it to the rear derailleur with the shortest Di2 cable I could buy - saves all the hassle you mention above

Thanks - I think I will either be going with seat stay or near the handlebar, will take a look at what I can do once the bits arrive. But bottom bracket def out of question, might move it there one day when the bottom bracket needs replacing.
  • Mine is attached in-line in the downtube, but I put it there when I set the whole system up. Fitting it retrospectively might be a bit more of a pita.

Seems a bit of a shame to have it strapped to the outside of the bike (eg chainstay), but needs must I guess. I questioned whether it would have enough signal range to reach your computer out front, but I guess it must if the above fitted it there.

Only issue I found in the downtube was it rattled like hell (even though "sprung", with small cable ties which must have migrated), so a fair portion of my downtube is now filled with small cell bubblewrap! Works a treat though (and weighs nothing).
  • jpower
    Mine is attached in-line in the downtube, but I put it there when I set the whole system up. Fitting it retrospectively might be a bit more of a pita.

Seems a bit of a shame to have it strapped to the outside of the bike (eg chainstay), but needs must I guess. I questioned whether it would have enough signal range to reach your computer out front, but I guess it must if the above fitted it there.

Only issue I found in the downtube was it rattled like hell (even though "sprung", with small cable ties which must have migrated), so a fair portion of my downtube is now filled with small cell bubblewrap! Works a treat though (and weighs nothing).

I agree but as you said needs must :D I will shift it when the time is right. Now just hoping it turns up tomorrow before Sunday ride :)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I replied to this earlier, but it seems to have disappeared? Just connect it in line to the seat post battery. Mine doesn't rattle about at all. Don't forget that you need the upgraded battery with the new D-Fly unit. It won't work with the original battery.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jpower
    philthy3 wrote:
    I replied to this earlier, but it seems to have disappeared? Just connect it in line to the seat post battery. Mine doesn't rattle about at all. Don't forget that you need the upgraded battery with the new D-Fly unit. It won't work with the original battery.
    I have 2018 Aeroad and the battery is not in the seat post it is in the downtube. Hope its the right battery now. Don't have the spec its R8070 groupset.