Tubeless - sealant escaping from sidewall

scotthunter
scotthunter Posts: 140
edited July 2019 in Workshop
I've done about 700 miles on my Continental GP5000 TL. I have string coming off the side wall of my front tyre for no apparent reason. And the other day I had a complete flat at the end of a short ride into town, but no obvious indications of any gash in the tyre or sealant escaping. Then when I went to inflate it at home with my foot pump, I struggled to get it past 70 PSI, then within a few minutes it deflated to about 40 PSI and the Revo sealant started bubbling from the side wall. When I looked closely, it was where the string had peeled off around the entire circumference of the tyre. I put it in a bucket of water and I could see the bubbles coming from this line.

I took it startight to my LBS sold me the tyres and fitted them. They said it was normal and I should just keep inflating it until it seals. I said it wasn't normal that the tyre side wall should start unraveling like that for no reason to the point where it's so thin that sealant is escaping from it. So I asked them to send it back to Continental for them to inspect (although I still have to buy a new tyre in the meantime).

Has anyone else had similar issues? This has happened twice on me, both times on the front wheel.

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Never happened to me, I’ve never had any of these issues with tubeless road tyres because I don’t bother with them.

Also, it’s not down to continental to decide if the tyre is faulty, if you can see the carcass unravelling and the tyre is otherwise unworn they are almost by definition faulty. Tell the retailer to replace them, don’t get robbed off with an unlikely story. You’ve done that once already buying into the whole road tubeless thing.
  • scotthunter
    Never happened to me, I’ve never had any of these issues with tubeless road tyres because I don’t bother with them.

Also, it’s not down to continental to decide if the tyre is faulty, if you can see the carcass unravelling and the tyre is otherwise unworn they are almost by definition faulty. Tell the retailer to replace them, don’t get robbed off with an unlikely story. You’ve done that once already buying into the whole road tubeless thing.

To be fair, I probably would have had at least one pinch flat in the 3 months I've had these tyres if I had been using inner tubes and they roll very well. I agree that the tyre must be defective as the tyre carcass is unravelling and it has caused the sidewall to be thin enough to leak sealant after a change in pressure. I feel I shouldn't have to pay a penny to get this tyre replaced after only 700 miles, it's not like the air is escaping from the rim due to a fitting issue; it's the nature of the sidewall construction and it hasn't been damaged in any way by anything I have done other than pumping to a normal pressure (80 PSI). I could probably throw the Consumer Rights Act book at them - goods must be of sufficient quality and fit for purpose etc etc. Not sure if this covers labour though? The Conti 5k is not a budget tyre, it's one of the most expensive tyres available.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Has it been like that since you got it or only just started happening over the last couple of weeks?
    From MTB experience it takes a few rides to get the tyre to seal properly (so that it doesn't deflate over a week or so) but if you've done 700 miles that should be more than enough.
    If it's only started happening recently it sounds like the tyre has worn out - 700 miles sounds a bit premature for the sidewall to fall to bits.
  • Mine done this, but not to the extent they were deflating. I just removed the odd bits of string that were coming off. Ive replaced them now but did do 4000 miles on the pair with no issues (apart from odd bits of sidewall string coming off)
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    You're not the only one:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... &start=900

Looks like there might be a dodgy batch about. I've done about 1000km on my GP5000 TL's and can't say I've experienced the same issue.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Continental are somewhat notorious for sidewall failures. Interesting that this is still the case for their tubeless tyres.

Certainly that isn't acceptable for the price they charge - kick off with the retailer. They should replace for free under consumer rights act.

Although the fact that you think you'd have pinch flats in the space of 3 months suggest you are either not putting enough air in your tires or are hitting too many potholes.
  • scotthunter
    I posted a picture of the sealant escaping from the sidewall on a weightweenies thread, I can’t seem to work out how to add photos here. See devonbiker post on page 61:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... &start=900
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    String come of conti tyres all the time. Not just the tubeless ones. That however is not the cause of the problem and is not revalent to your main issue and is unlikely to be a stay issue. So ignore the string. What probably happened is thr tyres have been ridden at a low pressure or one to many holes has caused the byutl lining to crack.

Your tyre sidewalls have become a bit porous. Conti revo sealant is crap. Try effetto or orange seal. These will deposit a layer of latex over the inside of the tyre and seal it.

If the lbs had explained this you you would have been happier. I steady you have been poorly advised.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I wouldn’t be happy with a porous sidewall whatever the tyre/ sealant combo. Are you saying that the tyre internal sidewall has been damaged from running at too low a pressure and adding a particular sealant will coat it with some latex? I simply wouldn’t trust such a tyre on a descent at 50mph plus. And it’s his front tyre. :shock:

There is no way I would ride that tyre. It needs replacing and if anyone says that the sidewall of a tubeless tyre leaking air so you can’t get the pressure above 70psi is normal, I’d ask for them to show you evidence of such from the manufacturer. Either fight the retailer to replace it under warranty if you have used it as designed by the manufacturer and in accordance with their guidelines (for recommended pressure and use - ie. not been using it off road etc), or accept that you have damaged it (if you have been using it under inflated etc) and replace at your expense.

PP
  • Alejandrosdog
    String come of conti tyres all the time. Not just the tubeless ones. That however is not the cause of the problem and is not revalent to your main issue and is unlikely to be a stay issue. So ignore the string. What probably happened is thr tyres have been ridden at a low pressure or one to many holes has caused the byutl lining to crack.

Your tyre sidewalls have become a bit porous. Conti revo sealant is crap. Try effetto or orange seal. These will deposit a layer of latex over the inside of the tyre and seal it.

If the lbs had explained this you you would have been happier. I steady you have been poorly advised.

Isnt the point of tubeless that you can ride at a lower pressure? Since the butyl lining in those tyres is on the inside wouldn't impact damage sufficient to cut the butyl also damage the outer tyre?

I think if you had explained this to me I would have been unhappy. Not least because the entire structural integrity must also then be suspect and would agree with Pilot Pete. The other reason i would have been unhappy is that I would feel i was being fed twaddle.

Of course it could be a design issue or a batch / manufacturing issue.

in any of those circumstances i would be looking for an immediate refund. Id then buy the same tyres from wiggle or other large on line retailer who are more likely to have a different batch.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Just checked my 5000TLs, one pair are starting to go a bit "stringy" but no sign of any leakage yet. The front tyre has been on since November and done 4500+ miles, still not completely worn, rear tyre, 2000 miles, close to being replaced.

The other set I've been running on the nice bike have done around 2500 miles, rear tyre will be replaced at the weekend probably due to wear. Sidewalls aren't doing any stringy business but visually they don't look brilliant. No air leakage from them though.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I'm about 600 miles into my 5000Tls and no sign of any strings yet. I have them quite a lot on my GP4000s on my other bikes though. FWIW I use the Caffelatex also recommended by Malcolm (cycleclinic) above. I don't think I've had a puncture yet although I did pick off a little white spot off the tyre the other day so that may have been one that sealed quickly. Can't see anything obvious though.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • cycleclinic
    I have lost this post now 4 times.

I never said this was normal just not probably a warranty

First casing damage shows it self by bulges. Since the OP has not reported a bulge then there is no casing damage pilot Pete and Alejandrosdog.

Second while tubeless tyres can be run at lower pressures doing so can damage the tyre if run too low. That may not be the cause of the porosity here but it worth raising.

The shop the OP bought the tyre from should have taken the wheel and tried a different sealant. Even stans would do the job. If the porosity seals then there is no problem. If not then the shop can talk to the distributor and file a warranty which may or may not be granted. If it is granted it is really goodwill.

This is not a batch issue. That trope gets trotted out all the time with no evidence for it. The fact some tyres develop problems when others do not is more reflective on how they have been used and bad luck. Some people though cannot accept that and blame the product.

The OP should however go back to the shop and remind them they sold the tyre and you'd like help. They must have some stans and let them see if that solves the problem. Leave it with them for a day or two so they can see for themselves.

Home trainer use could be another cause
    Heat build up.is not going to do the tyre any good. This may be a more likely cause but I dont know if the OP has used a tyre on a turbo.

Why is it I have picked up a troll who tries to discredit me at every opportunity.
  • Alejandrosdog
    edited July 2019

Why is it I have picked up a troll who tries to discredit me at every opportunity.

Firstly, whilst you post some really good stuff, you also post wrong information posted as fact sometimes.

You discredit yourself when you insist you’re right when obviously you’ve got it wrong. I get stuff wrong all the time i learn from it.

You can be condescending sometimes, suggesting that the answer is a lbs. and at the same time getting the facts wrong.

If there weren’t comment and discussion here it would just be an echo chamber for your comments, many of which are just wrong.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Firstly, whilst you post some really good stuff, you also post wrong information posted as fact sometimes.

You discredit yourself when you insist you’re right when obviously you ive got it wrong. I get stuff wrong all the time i learn from it.

You can be condescending sometimes, suggesting that the answer is a lbs. and at the same time getting the facts wrong.

If there weren’t comment and discussion here it would just be an echo chamber of your comments many of which are just wrong.

That just about sums it up.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    lesfirth wrote:

You discredit yourself when you insist you’re right when obviously you ive got it wrong. I get stuff wrong all the time i learn from it.

If there weren’t comment and discussion here it would just be an echo chamber of your comments many of which are just wrong.

Whilst I have to agree with this, I also have a lot time for Malcolm and his opinions as well as having had two sets of wheels built by him and run tubeless, which are excellent as is his service.
  • cycleclinic
    edited July 2019
    The thing is I have not posted anything in this thread that's incorrect. I have said try a different sealant. If that does not work then the tyre is unusable due to pressure loss but you may find it hard to get the distributor to agree to a warranty. At which point you relying on the good will of the retailer and it's not there fault the tyre went wrong. I have tried warranting tyres before and there is enough wriggle room for the distributor to say no and the retailer is left refunding for an easy life and losing out. I dont think that fair either. One set of personsal tyres I sent back for a warranty issue has come to nothing because importer claimed that your supposed to use stans sealant only.

Discussion is fine but it got unpleasant earlier and an unrelated post was dragged up with a pedantic point made about lockring torque. There were inaccuracies about the safety of the tyre in one post that needed to challenged. Unsafe tyres are easy to spot and the the lining of the tyre is not structural.

Oh I have admited many times when i have posted something incorrect and correct the mistake. So you dont have a point there.

Telling me I am wrong on this one does not make it so.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Wooooosh