Upgrade to DI2 - FD-R8050

newburb_1968
newburb_1968 Posts: 114
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
I am upgrading from manual to Di2 gearing on my Trek Speedconcept and just about to purchase the Front derailleur (8050) and noticed that the maximum teeth is 53 for this derailleur. (I am currently buying parts each month to spread the cost, so to date I have all di2 shifts /brakes / Battery / Junction box A & B)
The bike has a 55-42 dura-ace 9100 chainset on the bike and the cost of reducing this to a smaller chainring outweighs the cost and my budget.

If I purchase the R8050 (Which I had budgeted for) would this still work for 55 chainring.
Has anyone used the R8050 on the 55 chainring and if so does it work or why will it not work.
Would I still be able to set the difference settings on this or will it just not work.?

I have noticed the FD- R9070 which is dearer however looking at the compatibility chart this seems to be in red as if it will not be compatible or I cannot get the full benefits.

Otherwise is there no way to avoid this except for pay out for the FD-9150.
Many thanks if anyone can help me... a complete novice who has jumped in, without really understanding :cry: