Wheel Profile..Front v Back

2»

Comments

• So I have fixed the issue...I got someone to build me a wheel. I always though a wheel built for me would be crazy expensive. I was totally wrong.

So I bought 33m carbon wheel with CX Ray spokes and a DT Swiss 240 hub. It is a dream. I can attack a descent again...not go around a curve with the handling of a sail boat not sure which way the wind will take me so I can actually clip an apex again. I am enjoying descending trying to get above 70 kmh (where my big fat head allows)...compare that to before where I was applying the brakes above 55kmh just to be on the safe side

I liked the front wheel so much that I also got the guy to build me a rear wheel with a 38mm profile.

All in all the bike is much much faster now on a descent and I enjoy descending again. On the flats there is no discernable difference. The wheels this guy built are much better than the DT Swiss. Hand built wheels EUR 1050 for the pair. The cheapest I can find my DT Swiss for is 1680 EUR.

Moral of the story this guy will build me wheels for as long as I cycle. Second moral of the story is if you live in an area with windy descents, with fast bends then don't get a wheel with a profile above 35mm no matter how good the manufacturer tells you it is. Third moral of the story...look at what everyone around you is riding...there is a reason. If they are not on deep profile wheels then you shouldn't be either.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

So I have fixed the issue...I got someone to build me a wheel. I always though a wheel built for me would be crazy expensive. I was totally wrong.

So I bought 33m carbon wheel with CX Ray spokes and a DT Swiss 240 hub. It is a dream. I can attack a descent again...not go around a curve with the handling of a sail boat not sure which way the wind will take me so I can actually clip an apex again. I am enjoying descending trying to get above 70 kmh (where my big fat head allows)...compare that to before where I was applying the brakes above 55kmh just to be on the safe side

I liked the front wheel so much that I also got the guy to build me a rear wheel with a 38mm profile.

All in all the bike is much much faster now on a descent and I enjoy descending again. On the flats there is no discernable difference. The wheels this guy built are much better than the DT Swiss. Hand built wheels EUR 1050 for the pair. The cheapest I can find my DT Swiss for is 1680 EUR.

Moral of the story this guy will build me wheels for as long as I cycle. Second moral of the story is if you live in an area with windy descents, with fast bends then don't get a wheel with a profile above 35mm no matter how good the manufacturer tells you it is. Third moral of the story...look at what everyone around you is riding...there is a reason. If they are not on deep profile wheels then you shouldn't be either.

Happy for you that you have cured your problem. However, your blanket statements are a bit too general regarding what everyone else should ride. I ride deep section rims and although I can feel them in strong gusty crosswinds I personally don’t have a problem with them. Some of my mates ride similar, others don’t. We all get along just fine. Bike handling skills and confidence come into it too - I’m quicker than all my mates on descents - some are good bike handlers too, but others just ‘cant let go’ and let the bike flow - they simply lack the confidence and correct technique.

So by making sweeping statements such as “If they are not on deep profile wheels then you shouldn't be either.” you are purely basing this on personal opinion and not on any fact, especially scientific fact.

You were getting blown about with deeper section rims - not everyone else will experience the same as you and your particular wheels, so story ‘morals’ may have little or no relevance to others.

As I said though, glad you have sorted your problem, and I’m also a fan of handbuilt wheels where you can spec exactly what you want or if you don’t understand just tell a descent wheel builder what type of riding you want the wheels for and let them recommend suitable components.

PP