Turbo trainer

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Considering upgrading my old Tacx turbo, and as it's summer it seems a good time to seek out a bargain. Would like a direct drive one, as swapping wheels, etc is a faff, but don't know about Zwift, etc connectivity. I have an old telly and so forth so would be easy to do, but not sure whether it's worth it.

I'm very susceptible to chest infections and colds (asthmatic) so training indoors in winter seems a good idea.

Thoughts and recommendations?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Forget Strava. There aren't many segments you can do on a turbo! Check out the DC Rainmaker trainer reviews and comparison charts and see what kit is available at your price point.

Pretty much most trainers now will have ANT+ and Bluetooth connectivity. Decide whether you want to use something like Zwift for virtual racing or are happy to just follow solo training plans such as those from Trainerroad or Sufferfest.

I have an Elite Direto and am happy with it. It works fine with Trainerroad which is my turbo trainer platform of choice.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo- ... bo-trainer for £550 looks a good deal, especially if you get 10% British Cycling membership discount on top.

Speaking of BC memebrship, if it's still running, there was a promo for 7 days free Zwift. Plus last time I looked, there was 60 days free premium Strava.

Despite the ~£13pcm Zwift still has the appeal if you like plenty of ERG training plans, social rides or even races. But rgtcycling.com is still in free open beta with some decent routes, plus https://virtugo.com/ has recently come out of beta with limited routes but a fair few training sessions.

Not to mention, you get 25Km free trail every month on Zwift, which goes a fair way if you do the big climb routes and sub 30min sessions (such as the FTP ramp test or Emily's Short Mix etc.).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just get a TACX Neo 1. You'll never look back. No calibration to do, no problems with connectivity, quietest trainer there is, very fast resistance for those short interval efforts, sideways movement for sprint efforts, doubt you'll need it but up to 2,500 watts resistance and up to 25% slope representation, no drive belts to worry about, works with 10 and 11 speed, works with skewers and through axles and works without power up to 220 watts.

I've had two Elite trainers and couldn't get on with them. Support from Italy was non-existent. The Direto suffered with dropouts using Sufferfest, TrainerRoad and Zwift and all Elite could suggest was use their program for training. Sold it and bought a Neo.

I'm not a fan of Zwift, but have it because my 5 year old likes to use her Frog 58 on her turbo using it and insists I ride along with her. There are other platforms that do the same thing such as Rouvy that uses real roads rather than an imaginary world. But its each to their own. The Neo works well for giving road feel when riding over different surfaces. Don't know how, but it works? I use it more with Sufferfest and the TACX software when creating my own workouts.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use a Tacx Neo and Zwift/Sufferfest depending on what I want to do.

With my wiggle discount I pay around £10 a month for Zwift and then £7 for Sufferfest.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    SecretSam wrote:
    Considering upgrading my old Tacx turbo, and as it's summer it seems a good time to seek out a bargain. Would like a direct drive one, as swapping wheels, etc is a faff, but don't know about Strava, etc connectivity. I have an old telly and so forth so would be easy to do, but not sure whether it's worth it.

I'm very susceptible to chest infections and colds (asthmatic) so training indoors in winter seems a good idea.

Thoughts and recommendations?

I asked similar question here (might be helpful):

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13106263
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Ta, sorry meant Zwift not Strava :oops:

It's just a hill. Get over it.