New bibs - Arse crack ! - Buying / replacement advise

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited July 2019 in Road general
So as a summer present to myself I got a new set of bibs and Jersey from De Marchi.

The bibs are the perfecto lite ones. Really nice, really comfortable and look great with the apricot jersey .. nice yeah?

well on the first ride out in them my mate 10 miles in caves and confesses that my arse crack is clearly visible. (the top inch or so! :shock: :oops:

Gutted and able to laugh it off I got home and sure thing - arse clearly visible according to the OH.

Cut a long story short I'm thinking about replacing them with ones from the range as obviously would like matching kit. However noticed that they all have this lower back section cut. The lite bibs are constructed with lighter fabrics apparently, but do I risk buying the normal ones or even the cheaper classic ones ? https://www.demarchi.com/en/shorts-and-tights-man.php

Incidentally Im now in discussion for return as obviously they have been worn and have labels missing which voids the normal returns guidance but clearly not fit for purpose unless you like to expose yourself !

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I don't understand lighter fabric for cycling in Britain. Can't ever remember a time when I've thought my shorts were too heavy.

You could always get a long undervest or just use it as a tactic to make your mate drag you round everywhere.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    cougie wrote:
    I don't understand lighter fabric for cycling in Britain.

Sounds like these would expose your crack whatever country you were in?!

Ironic really, one of the things bib shorts are meant to prevent is builders bum. I have quite a few pairs of "ordinary" lycra shorts for cycling, ie no bib part. They fit just as well as the bib shorts I have and are way more convenient when it comes to toilet breaks. But I get told I can't be a serious cyclist because I don't wear bib shorts on all rides. :?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Are we talking about direct exposure to the crack, though being uncovered, or is it more the translucency of the lightweight material allowing a degree of show-through? I sometimes ride with someone who wears quite thin cycling tights which, when stretched, do show what underwear they are wearing (let's not do the with/without debate here!).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    figbat wrote:
    Are we talking about direct exposure to the crack, though being uncovered, or is it more the translucency of the lightweight material allowing a degree of show-through?
    Has to be translucency. There has to be very serious issues for bibs to allow a builder's bum. All my bibs come up to the shoulder at the back. Got them on the right way round? :lol::lol::lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    That’s what I thought but reading the OP over and over I can’t draw a positive conclusion.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    cougie wrote:
    I don't understand lighter fabric for cycling in Britain. Can't ever remember a time when I've thought my shorts were too heavy.

You could always get a long undervest or just use it as a tactic to make your mate drag you round everywhere.

The lightweight jerseys are ok on a day like last Sunday, that’s about it, but the shorts? They’re black, they’re going to be warm in the sun anyway.
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    The OP says that all products have "this lower back section cut". Is he wearing them back to front?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    My guess is that the OP is hiding in shame.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Haha. No way! Back to front bibs. Amazing.

(maybe makes your radio easier to reach...)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Right I'm back.

The material on these bibs looks to be the issue. I contacted Wiggle and they agreed a return under the premise that's it's a warranty / manufacturers issue.

I got some Classic versions and guess what.. no see though arse section.
    How can things like this be made!? And then sold for £160!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Glad you got sorted out, but looking at the bibs on their website I can't at all fathom how your ar*e was anywhere near the lighter fabric.

Perfecto_Light_Bib_Short_372_M_COLNero_G_2.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Wrong size ordered and fabric too stretched is all it could be? Or they're backwards of course!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes