2000 Cannondale R800: Worth Upgrading?

ledzepp007
ledzepp007 Posts: 26
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

First post here. Recently decided to get back into cycling after about a 15-year absence. I was casual back in the day, but really enjoyed ripping off the occasional 30 mile ride when cross training for college track and cross-country. I always wish I were better at cycling.

Fast forward to today. I’m in my mid 30s and I weigh 50 pounds more than I did back in the day. It’s time to get back in shape. I looked into cycling training plans now and my lord are they amazing. Before thoroughly evaluating my old bike (a 2000 Cannondale R800) I went ahead and picked up a Wahoo Kickr Core. I’m very excited to get going.

However, my bike is.... in just OK condition. It rides and shifts. But, it’s seen better days.

My question (long winded, sorry) is whether a bike of that make and model is worth upgrading? It was a very nice aluminum frame back in the day.

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Personally... I'd keep the R800 as it is, put it on the Kickr permanently, and buy something new for the road.
    One golden rule of turbo training is to minimise the obstacles to getting on it.
    R800 was a nice bike, especially in Saeco colours, but tech has moved on. And wheels/stiffness/weight/comfort won't make a difference if you're using it on the turbo.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Depends on your budget, and whether you think you're going to stick at it. I'm guessing if you just went out and bought a new smart turbo then funds are not an issue?

If that's the case I'd echo the suggestion above. Stick the Cannondale on the turbo permanently and buy yourself a new road bike.

If on the other hand you're wanting to see how you get on before spending much more, just stick some new tyres and maybe brake blocks on the 'Dale and just ride it.

It was a good bike in its day but I'm guessing it will restrict you to 23mm tyres and the ride will be relatively harsh compared with current carbon and alu offerings.

A new bike will give you the chance to consider which of the more recent developments you want to embrace:

11 and 12 speed drivetrains
    Electronic shifting
    Internal cabling
    Aero frames / forks / wheels
    Disc brakes
    Direct mount rim brakes
    Wider rims / wider tyres
    More relaxed comfort / endurance frame geometry
    Vibration damping headsets / seatposts / frame components