Shimano BB Query

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited July 2019 in Workshop
I have a 2018 Roubaix Expert with R8000 Ultegra Cranks.

Just went to replace the BB and took the cranks off and my bb tool is too large for the cups! Any ideas? Is there a new smaller diameter Hollowtech BB out now?

I always thought Spec used press fit but this looks like a Shimano screw in type and the specification says its an Ultegra BB on line.

Cheers!

Comments

• bmxboy10
    Part Number seems to be SM BBR60 BC1.37 x 24 ROAD
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You guessed correctly. Current crop of HT2 BB cups require a smaller diameter tool. Or a plastic adapter to allow you to use the tool you have
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    It will be a SM-BBR60 and you need either the TL-FC37 tool or the adaptor TL-FC25 or a third party equivalent.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tools?f=4294964100

Edit TL-FC25 not the TL-FC24 shown
  • bmxboy10
    Cheers!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I got mine from amazon, cheapest place at the time.
  • laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    The last 2 retail packaged BBR60 BC1.37 x 24 ROAD bottom brackets I've bought came with the adaptor included in the box. Hope this helps.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    laguna wrote:
    The last 2 retail packaged BBR60 BC1.37 x 24 ROAD bottom brackets I've bought came with the adaptor included in the box. Hope this helps.

I was going to say that they used to include the adaptor when they first introduced the new, smaller diameter BBs, but I wasn't sure they still did.
    I've never had to deal with one of the newer ones. I'm still waiting for the older chunky Ultegra BB on the winter bike to pack up. 7 years and counting. Factory fitted press-fit BB on the summer bike; still smooth and silent 6 years on.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    get the proper tool, not the adapter that fits between the tool and BB.
    TLFC-37

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1