What BB is this?

shirley_basso
shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
edited July 2019 in Workshop
I have an old shopping bike and while I know it's worth very little, I still feel I can keep it on the road at very low cost.

I can't quite work out what's going on with the BB here though. Doesn't look like anything I've seen before.

Can you also let me know what tools I need to extract?

Photos below: frame may also be on the way out!

48172775086_a7418529aa_z.jpg

48172840582_17a6527475_z.jpg

48172840077_0e1ac14192_z.jpg

48172840362_63971bac81_z.jpg

Comments

• mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117
    It"s a square taper but instead of having a bolt to retain the crank, the BB axle has a thread and the crank is retained by a nut.
  • mankybianchi
    mankybianchi Posts: 117
    Sorry, missed out the last bit. A standard square taper extractor should work fine.
  • shirley_basso
    Nice one. Thank you. Ia ssumed it would be simple as it's a dirt cheap BSO but it serves its use perfectly.

Hope it's not seized!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    Cup and Cone Bottom Bracket - and a rusty looking one at that!

I'd squirt WD40/PlusGas/ViperVenom at it for a few days before tackling it. Very simple as it all comes apart (eventually). Had these on the kids old BSO's when they were little.

It's very similar to this: https://www.madegood.com/bikes/repair/service-a-cup-and-cone-bottom-bracket/
    except you need a Lockring tool or a small cold chisel and hammer, though it is tricky to tighten it again using this method whilst holding the cone in the right position:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ice-Toolz-BB-and-Headset-Lockring-Tool_117914.htm?sku=449332&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe76LZDgp_LL9D7SyXUJnmBbpyXeMJsuiSsGRS1obYSB5tE6ntzmOn0aAnFwEALw_wcB

Spares seem to be readily available from SJS online or you LBS.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    dont bother to dismatle it, just lay it on its side and pour gear oil into it every half hour or so while spinning (or attempting to rotate) the cranks. Have a beer between applications. Eventually it will come out the other side. Turn over onto the other side and repeat.
    Let the excess drain out, wipe down, job jobbed.
  • shirley_basso
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Cranks rotate fine, but the motion is very grindy and moves in quite an elliptical trajectory so I assume most of the bearings have fallen out, so it needs more than just a re-grease/oil.

PhotoNic - thanks for the link to the tool.

If I remove all parts, is it a BSA threaded shell, so I can put a square taper BB cartridge BB in there afterwards?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it. Cranks rotate fine, but the motion is very grindy and moves in quite an elliptical trajectory so I assume most of the bearings have fallen out, so it needs more than just a re-grease/oil.

PhotoNic - thanks for the link to the tool.

If I remove all parts, is it a BSA threaded shell, so I can put a square taper BB cartridge BB in there afterwards?

It may well be. I did just that for a colleague who had an old custom built steel frame with a cup and cone BB. Did it in the car park at work one lunchtime. Cranks off, old BB & spindle out, clean up threads, Shimano UN52 cartridge BB in with a dollop of antiseize, cranks back on
  • shirley_basso
    Delightful.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    keef66 wrote:

It may well be. I did just that for a colleague who had an old custom built steel frame with a cup and cone BB. Did it in the car park at work one lunchtime. Cranks off, old BB & spindle out, clean up threads, Shimano UN52 cartridge BB in with a dollop of antiseize, cranks back on

Whoa! Easy Tiger!

He has a crank nut holding his cranks onto the BB. The UN52 etc uses a crank bolt. Are your sure these will be compatible? I've not tried this conversion myself, so just wondering.....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• shirley_basso
    Am thinking I can remove the whole thing and replace with cartridge BB?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The whole spindle / nut arrangement goes in the bin, leaving him with a threaded BB shell and square taper cranks. All he then needs is the (appropriate length) UN52 BB or similar and a couple of crank bolts.

Looking on Spa's website some cartridge BBs include new crank bolts / washers
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    keef66 wrote:
    The whole spindle / nut arrangement goes in the bin, leaving him with a threaded BB shell and square taper cranks. All he then needs is the (appropriate length) UN52 BB or similar and a couple of crank bolts.

Looking on Spa's website some cartridge BBs include new crank bolts / washers

it might me more fun to inspect the one you remove, providing theres no pitting, try replacing the ball bearings first and reassembling. Total cost £1 and some grease.

Also I cant tell how old it is but it also looks foreign, he needs to establish which type of bb thread. ie. english or ittalian. It doesnt look old enough to be one of the random others. Either way if you can service it youve got all the bits you need and a happy evening pottering in the garage

if you cant service it you can get replacement bearings and axle with the same nut attachment for about £10 online. You will need to measure the length etc to get the right one.
  • shirley_basso
    No pitting - a bit of a long shot!
    If it's totally shot, I'll use a cartridge BB as it will last for longer.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    No pitting - a bit of a long shot!
    If it's totally shot, I'll use a cartridge BB as it will last for longer.

Hahaha probably. If i remember from deep and distant past experience the axle bit would get fecked before the rest.

anyway it looks like its been in that bike for twenty years, I wouldnt worry about longevity
  • shirley_basso
    The bike was a £50 special for running around town.

Worst case scenario if the frame fails, I can put the new parts onto a new frame.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    The bike was a £50 special for running around town.

Worst case scenario if the frame fails, I can put the new parts onto a new frame.

Fit a new brake cable. Then let the BB seize up and you can go ahead and "re-frame" the cable.
  • shirley_basso
    Just done that with pedals