new wheels

gdcfc1
gdcfc1 Posts: 125
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
So I had my slightly bent wheel in LBS for truing but they have told me they are unable to repair. Surprised but they nicely have not charged me for their time in trying.

Bike is Cube Cross SL running Mavic Aksium Discs. Would you replace with same or what would you recommend to put on instead? Cost should be around the same as for the Aksium Discs.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Mavic/Aksium-Disc-Center-Lock-Wheelset-2019-Model-p66676/

Thanks!
looking into the +1

Comments

• matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    I've got 2 sets of brand new disc wheels - Pacenti SL25 rims, front hub Novatec D351SB rear Prime branded Novatec hub, 11 speed, 6 bolt disc, black spokes.

£200 if interested!
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    matudavey wrote:
    I've got 2 sets of brand new disc wheels - Pacenti SL25 rims, front hub Novatec D351SB rear Prime branded Novatec hub, 11 speed, 6 bolt disc, black spokes.

£200 if interested!

These? https://www.bike24.com/p2224734.html

How come you are selling for that price? Maybe. I am in Germany though so shipping may be a bit much??
    looking into the +1
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    matudavey wrote:

£200 if interested!

Do you have photographs?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Did you damage it in a crash? If not, then it should be trueable
    left the forum March 2023
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    Singleton wrote:
    matudavey wrote:

£200 if interested!

Do you have photographs?
    gdcfc1 wrote:
    matudavey wrote:

£200 if interested!

These? https://www.bike24.com/p2224734.html

How come you are selling for that price? Maybe. I am in Germany though so shipping may be a bit much??

sorry for the slow replies - yeah similar to those. I just got some good deals on the rims and hubs, so thought i'd do a couple of sets. Then realised I really dont need them as they're my 3rd and 4th sets for one bike! I could ship to germany I suppose!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Any pic of the buckled wheel ?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    If it's the edge of the rim I've found that's it, new wheel. Hit a pothole the other week and the rim edge was just pushed in and the brake track had a fold in it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You can pretty eecent wheels build from.about
    £200 and not much heavier than askium with 32 spokes.

I weighed a pair of zonda disc brake wheel against a set if mine given there 14 fewer spokes in the zonda one has to wonder why the extra mass is. Well it's in the rim, its no mystery.

So to the OP you will have a wheel that feels more lively with a lighter and more spokes and that not because of the mass distribution. So consider some shimano hubs because they are not expensive 64 spam or dt swiss spokes and a reasonably light rim. This can be a formula for a cheap or expensive set of wheels depending on which components you plump for.

Askium.discs are 1905g

Dt swiss r460 rims 485g, Sapim race spokes, brass nipples 464g and shimano 105 disc brake hubs 500g is 1935g. That's assuming the rims are a partly as I assume
    They should be 460g. While not a fan of sapim d lights with a stiff rim and high spoke count they are fine. That saves 40g. Not much but if a lighter rim is used like the kinlin xr22rt weight drops by up to 100g. So for around the same price as asking.disc any half decent wheelbuilder could assemble a stiffer more lively set of wheels that may even be lighter than the askium discs without costing much more.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.