New bike what to check

MrMister111
MrMister111 Posts: 74
edited June 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got a Boardman MHT from Halfords. I've read about problems on build etc at Halfords, not knowing about bikes can someone tell me what I should check please?

With the deal I get a 6 week basic check for brakes and gears, in case wearing in, but is there anything specific I should check before any serious riding please?

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Check all the bolts are tightened correctly, set your saddle height, position the brake levers where you want them and you should be good to go.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Well, enjoy the bike and do as suggested by checking the bike set up is right for you - saddle height, tilt and reach. Check the wheels spin free and mention to them if the gear changing ois not slick - by now the cable will have stretched a bit. Halfords are in general ok and know what they are doing! Make sure you have all sthe stuff for taking round with you when you are out there.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Make sure that the headset bolts are done up as the bike can be transported to the shop `flat` and need to be straightened and tightened up. Check the wheels are correctly in place and axles tight.

Quick check of all other nuts etc for anything obviously loose.

Or - ride it until something rattles and/or drops off.....

Hope you enjoy it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Absolutely check the headset bolts! On two different bikes (ten years apart) I have had a bad crash because the head set bolts were not correctly tightened. I blame myself for the second one! but the mechanic impressed me, I shouldn't have trusted him as it is my neck on the block.

Mostly you can get away without them being properly torqued. But when you land heavily and turn the bars at the same time.... bars go right, wheel goes left, you go down! :shock:

Other tips, spin the wheels and listen and look for brake pads rubbing.
    Bed your brake pads in properly (Google it).
    Spend time setting up your suspension. Minimums are %sag and rebound damping (Google it).
    Check that the gears index smoothly and without hesitation up the cassette and down it. One at a time and as many in one go as your shifter will permit.