Cero AR30 wheels. Any users?

RossoCorso34
RossoCorso34 Posts: 204
edited July 2019 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at a pair of Cero AR30 wheels for an alpine climbing holiday this summer to pair with my Trek Edmonda SLR.

Does anybody have any real world experience of these wheels? All the reviews seem glowing, but would like to hear feedback from owners. They will replace a pair of Bontrager Paradigm Comp TLR that are stock with the bike.

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have some ARD23 wheels. I have done a few hundred miles with no problems,I like them. I have little imagination so I don't know if they" roll well" or " spin up quick" but that is just me. I can't tell if my bottom bracket is stiff or whether my tyre side walls are flexible either. :)
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Yep had an AR30 EVO pair 2017-18.
    Good set of wheels and roll really well. The freehub is nice and loud.
    For lightweight ally (and they really are lightweight) they were plenty stiff enough for my weight 80kg + 7.2kg bike.

De-stickered mine as the logos look a bit cheap. Easy to do with a hairdryer to warm slightly and some white spirit for any stubborn gue.

My only complaint is out of all the wheels I have ever had, I lost a spoke and they went out of true on the back wheel due to impacts. Not bomb proof and take pot hole knocks etc hard. .. remember these are lightweight ally climbing wheels.
  • RossoCorso34
    Thanks for the comments, the one thing that people have said is that the wheels do tend to flex under load, I'm not the lightest rider as I have more of a sprinters build, so I'm worried that if I'm out of the saddle and pushing the wheels will start to rub. Or, I could be worrying about nothing at all.

It's between these or the Hunt Aeros which are slightly heavier, around the same money but have a less forgiving rider weight limit.
  • clubsport
    clubsport Posts: 51
    I have a set I use fairly often, they roll well for the price.
    My only real issue is that they need "truing up" more than any other wheels I have used. I am around 80kg, there can be quite a bit of flex on hills until the spokes are re tightened.

I am also considering the Hunt Aero for my next set of wheels. I am yet to meet an owner on a ride who has used them.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    clubsport. I've owned the hunt aero wheels and they aren't that great. they roll ok but their biggest issue is that the rear hub has poor seals and the bearings wear quickly. I used mine in the alps for 2 years (1 week at a time) and for winter training. I've had to replace the bearings 3 times, and the pawls have worn after not many miles.

I've also got the cheap Ar24 wheels from cero. these roll just as well, are as light as the hunt aero and have a lighter rim in comparison to the ar 30 and the hunts. the weight is inboard.... I'd recommend these as a do it all training wheel, and they are decent on the climbs as well... they do tubeless and are pretty bombproof.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Can anybody above who has said that their wheels 'roll well' actually define what this means in reality? All wheels 'roll' - but what makes them 'roll well'..??
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Imposter wrote:
    Can anybody above who has said that their wheels 'roll well' actually define what this means in reality? All wheels 'roll' - but what makes them 'roll well'..??
    :lol:
    Maybe there are some hubs out there with square bearings?
  • clubsport
    Tks Philbar72,

I don't need that kind of hassle with the Hunt bearings!

My only concern with the Ar24 is the hubs and importantly the spokes are of a lower quality compared to the AR 30, I'm not sure this would help with the flex and out of true issues.

To be fair these wheels do appear to be value in their market segment.

How wheels roll can best be considered against another set of Benchmark wheels or on a group ride . You have to take into account weight, aero etc.... So benchmarking against your own wheels on a given route is probably the better metric?

My Cero wheels probably roll 91.864733691% (?) as well as my Dura ace wheels, consider the cost delta, that reflects well on the Cero? :)
  • imposter2.0
    clubsport wrote:
    How wheels roll can best be considered against another set of Benchmark wheels or on a group ride . You have to take into account weight, aero etc.... So benchmarking against your own wheels on a given route is probably the better metric?

So they 'roll well' when compared to a series of indefinite variables..?
  • clubsport
    Imposter wrote:
    clubsport wrote:

So they 'roll well' when compared to a series of indefinite variables..?

Read it again, from my perspective I have ridden the same route on the same day on the same bike with different wheels, that can offer some perspective as to the different performance of the wheels, with how they "roll" being one of the characteristics.
    I prefer this method over the group ride comparison as there are too many other factors to consider.

For the leisure cyclist, so much of cycling is perceived benefit, how it feels rather than results from a test laboratory or wind tunnel.

If you are someone who cannot notice any difference in cycling equipment, why are you even wasting your time on here? :)
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    So your current wheels are these?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... l/p/14251/

So we're talking about a couple of hundred grams saved and perhaps a tiny bit of rim depth gained, otherwise pretty near identical?

Honestly, it isn't worth spending the £350 quid.

You've mentioned in a couple of places that you are a heavy rider, other people have mentioned that the cero's are a bit flexy and come out of true.... these are not the wheels for you.
  • imposter2.0
    edited June 2019
    clubsport wrote:
    Read it again, from my perspective I have ridden the same route on the same day on the same bike with different wheels, that can offer some perspective as to the different performance of the wheels, with how they "roll" being one of the characteristics.
    I prefer this method over the group ride comparison as there are too many other factors to consider.

For the leisure cyclist, so much of cycling is perceived benefit, how it feels rather than results from a test laboratory or wind tunnel.

So what do you think it is that makes one 30mm alu-rimmed wheel roll 'perceivably' better than another 30mm alu-rimmed wheel? Presumably you have the same tyres at the same pressures each time? Presumably the wind is also going in the same direction?

The point I'm making is that 'rolls well' is a meaningless bullshit phrase that has no place in a wheel comparison. Assuming the rim is round and the bearings are not fcuked, any wheel will 'roll well'. What I am asking is how do you know it 'rolls better' than another wheel, other than via confirmation bias, which I guess is kind of what you are alluding to.
    clubsport wrote:
    If you are someone who cannot notice any difference in cycling equipment, why are you even wasting your time on here? :)

Straw man argument. Sometimes I can tell the difference between two comparative pieces of kit - and sometimes I can't. But I draw the line at bullshit statements like having wheels that 'roll well'.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    theboyfold wrote:
    It's between these or the Hunt Aeros which are slightly heavier, around the same money but have a less forgiving rider weight limit.
    Seriously, are you over/near 100kg (Hunt Aero weight limit)?

I write this as someone who is 120kg with change.

Assuming both the Hunt and the Cero are well built then they will be as strong as each other, which is to say not particularly strong - not really wheels to recommend to anyone much over 80kg.

If you want to upgrade, either get something properly deep to gain some aero benefit, or get some proper specced handbuilts which are less likely to leave you stranded with broken wheels.

A couple of hundred grams saved on wheels will not make either of us climbers.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Own AR24's (not quite AR30 but not far off!) and the Hunt Aero's, no complaints on either, The Hunts look classier and cost more though. One thing I would say, you have to get stuck in when changing tyres, more so on the Cero's.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Those stock Bontrager wheel are actually very good, I have a set and rate them. The width being one of the key things that make them ride nicely. I actually think the Cero's would be a downgrade not an upgrade.
  • RossoCorso34
    TimothyW wrote:
    So your current wheels are these?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... l/p/14251/

So we're talking about a couple of hundred grams saved and perhaps a tiny bit of rim depth gained, otherwise pretty near identical?

Honestly, it isn't worth spending the £350 quid.

You've mentioned in a couple of places that you are a heavy rider, other people have mentioned that the cero's are a bit flexy and come out of true.... these are not the wheels for you.

Yes, they are, but I might have to get rid of them. Long story, but that might have to happen, and as I'm heading to the Alps this summer I started looking at the lighter weight wheels.

I also have a set of HED Belgium Plus PowerTap G3s that I could use, and I think these are better than the Bontragers as they seem to engage quicker, but I'm yet to fully work out what I think.
    TimothyW wrote:
    Seriously, are you over/near 100kg (Hunt Aero weight limit)?

I write this as someone who is 120kg with change.

Assuming both the Hunt and the Cero are well built then they will be as strong as each other, which is to say not particularly strong - not really wheels to recommend to anyone much over 80kg.

If you want to upgrade, either get something properly deep to gain some aero benefit, or get some proper specced handbuilts which are less likely to leave you stranded with broken wheels.

A couple of hundred grams saved on wheels will not make either of us climbers.

No, I'm mid 80kgs, and I'm not thinking that these wheels are going to turn me into a mountain goat, it's just worth noting that Hunt has a suggested limit and Cero don't.

trek_dan wrote:
    Those stock Bontrager wheel are actually very good, I have a set and rate them. The width being one of the key things that make them ride nicely. I actually think the Cero's would be a downgrade not an upgrade.

Thanks for that, have you ridden the Ceros? The HED I have also run quite (very) wide, and they are smooth.

I'm just curious at the moment about the Ceros as I can't really justify what I want in time for the trip, so just wondering what actual users thought of them.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I agree with some of the above posters. You already have good alloy wheels so IMO there's no point getting another set of similar wheels.

I'd only get new wheels if you want some 45-50mm deep carbon ones, as you're heading to the Alps then you probably won't want carbon wheels.
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I used them and they are good.
    6802 rs rear bearings without huge seals mean they roll very well with little drag but can need servicing after wet weather riding, easy to do with 2 allen keys.
    They are light and you do feel it compared to 1600g+ wheels, they give a feeling a speed.
    Sapim CX ray spokes are good but with a low spoke count there's always a risk of one snapping (never happened to me at 85kg), with the wheel design spares spokes are available at any bike shop.

Aero wise they shouldnt offer much at 30mm an wedge shaped but they do, on the road you noticably roll faster.

Upside is performace, downside is hub cleaning and servicing needed, or not if you dont hose your bike and keep degreasers away from the hubs.
    Cant think how many wheels I've had as a road cyclist since 91, its a lot and the AR30's are up there when it comes to value and performance.
    I'd be using them today but my wife claimed them for her bike on theyve been on that for the last 2 years.

Currently I alternate between Zonda's and Cosmic Carbones. The Zonda's are great, feel planted strong and comfy (replaced the freehub one), Mavic's are good as well. I'd say the AR30's are perhaps a faster lighter feeling wheel then both but they do need servicing more.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 443
    I'd only get new wheels if you want some 45-50mm deep carbon ones, as you're heading to the Alps then you probably won't want carbon wheels.

Hi. Saw this from JoeTotale and it got me really thinking about my forthcoming trip to the Alps. I’ve ridden Mavic Kysrium Elites for the last few years and they have been fantastic both in the UK and the Alps.
    I’ve now got a Tarmac Disc to which I have added a pair of Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels. I love them and as disc brakes had thought to myself would be fine in the Alps. They’ve stood up well so far to ‘rugged’ Hampshire lanes and hills. As such , had planned on taking them over to the Alps this year. My daughter’s boyfriend ruined a carbon front wheel with overheating, but this was rim brake and we put it down to the heat caused by braking so much on a descent.
    Any thoughts re my carbon wheels and disc brakes please in the Alps? Thank you.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Hi. Saw this from JoeTotale and it got me really thinking about my forthcoming trip to the Alps. I’ve ridden Mavic Kysrium Elites for the last few years and they have been fantastic both in the UK and the Alps.
    I’ve now got a Tarmac Disc to which I have added a pair of Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels. I love them and as disc brakes had thought to myself would be fine in the Alps. They’ve stood up well so far to ‘rugged’ Hampshire lanes and hills. As such , had planned on taking them over to the Alps this year. My daughter’s boyfriend ruined a carbon front wheel with overheating, but this was rim brake and we put it down to the heat caused by braking so much on a descent.
    Any thoughts re my carbon wheels and disc brakes please in the Alps? Thank you.

Carbon wheels with disc brakes will be absolutely fine, enjoy riding them in the Alps.
    I was responding to the OP who is looking for rim brake wheels.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 443
    Carbon wheels with disc brakes will be absolutely fine, enjoy riding them in the Alps.
    I was responding to the OP who is looking for rim brake wheels.[/quote]

Thanks Joe. That’s reassuring! It did pose me an interesting thought. I’ve kept the stock wheels which aren’t bad DT Swiss and also have the original discs still on there so an easy swap, but haven’t used them once as I love the carbon wheels!
    BW