Day trip from Leicester ideas

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited July 2019 in Tour & expedition
So I'm currently in between jobs and I have some spare time in the day, however, I have the school morning drop off to do and the wife won't appreciate me staying out the night, however much l'd love to make a night out at the Cotswolds (approx 80 miles one way, so even just turning around would take approx 16 hours?)

Realistically how far could I get between 9:30 - 5 ish so 7 or 8 hours, round trip with some worthwhile stop.offs

Any suggestions around Leicester on where I could get to and what to do for an hour or so once there
Ideally cycle network rather than long stretches of busy A roads
Have an Adventure bike 700x35c disc brakes, reasonably fit

Comments

• essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    How about following the NCN 68 to Ashbourne and then head along the Tissington Trail ending up in Buxton. That's around 75 miles.

You can get the train back from Buxton but blimey, it seems to go around the houses so to speak.

If you have access to a car, it might be better to drive to Ashbourne and then head up the Tissington Trail, along the High Peak (although its closed somewhere along its length due to a bridge strike) and then over to the Monsal trail before returning to Ashborne. Not measured it but I think that will be around 60 miles.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    You could head out East to Welland Valley Viaduct, back via Rutland water. Some nice roads, views and the odd moderately challenging climb.
  • andyh01
    Herb71 wrote:
    You could head out East to Welland Valley Viaduct, back via Rutland water. Some nice roads, views and the odd moderately challenging climb.

Don't suppose you.have a gpx route for this do.you by any chance?

I would.prefer not to drive out anywhere mainly.to save the fuel costs, however, am.now tempted to drive to either Cotswolds or peak District. About an 1hr 45 drive each way leaving about 3hrs for the ride

Looking at the Cat and Fiddle area in the Peaks any one got a gpx route around 50 odd mile circular route?

I could also ride half way to Cotswold to get an idea of route
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Herb71 wrote:

Don't suppose you.have a gpx route for this do.you by any chance?

I would.prefer not to drive out anywhere mainly.to save the fuel costs, however, am.now tempted to drive to either Cotswolds or peak District. About an 1hr 45 drive each way leaving about 3hrs for the ride

Looking at the Cat and Fiddle area in the Peaks any one got a gpx route around 50 odd mile circular route?

I could also ride half way to Cotswold to get an idea of route

No, sorry, don't have a route file. If you have a burning desire to ride in the Cotswolds or the peaks then go for it, but if you're in Leicester you don't need to drive to find interesting and challenging routes. You have them on your doorstep.
  • andyh01
    No worries thanks.
    The problem is trying to find them, I go out with a social club and although different cafés just seem similar scenery and same old country lanes

I also tend to do the same one route as I now know it and how long it'll take, not done it backwards yet though.