Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Broken Part - OK to ride?

flight147zflight147z Posts: 69
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Hi

Whilst taking my bike apart earlier today to load into the car I noticed that the plastic cable guide that sits underneath the bottom bracket has snapped inwards. I have checked it closely and the cable is still sitting on the "groove" where it is supposed to, just further inside the frame given the snapped guide has caused the whole part to become recessed further into the frame.

There is no damage to the frame as a result of this part snapping

I wanted to get thoughts on whether it is OK to ride my bike whilst I wait for a replacement part - the gears are working fine and I'm not actually sure how long it has been like this! I assume that the snapped part is resting on the bottom bracket and that is why it hasn't slipped further into the fram

The bike is a 2017 Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Please let me know your thoughts

IMG-20190621-192834.jpg

Posts

  • You should be able to ride for a bit I guess. It would bug me that I'm using a bike that I knew had an issue. Being a long way form home and loosing all or some shifting is not great fun.

    If your shifting is Ok I can only think it must have been like this when it was last set up. Looking at your picture I would have thought this problem would have had an impact on the front shifting in particular if this had just happened.
  • flight147zflight147z Posts: 69
    You should be able to ride for a bit I guess. It would bug me that I'm using a bike that I knew had an issue. Being a long way form home and loosing all or some shifting is not great fun.

    If your shifting is Ok I can only think it must have been like this when it was last set up. Looking at your picture I would have thought this problem would have had an impact on the front shifting in particular if this had just happened.

    I have recently setup my front shifting again - I'm guessing the reason it was out was due to this happening

    I've decided to be sensible - no cycling for me this weekend. Really don't want to cause any damage to the frame :(
  • N0bodyOfTheGoatN0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 4,676
    I'd consider riding as if it was singlespeed, if it was my only bike to use this weekend, dry days are few and far between this summer so far!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • flight147zflight147z Posts: 69
    I'd consider riding as if it was singlespeed, if it was my only bike to use this weekend, dry days are few and far between this summer so far!

    The plan was to go and ride Great Dun Fell this weekend so I decided against it!
  • I had exactly the same as this happen to my Canyon Ultimate as soon as I got it out of the box; 2015 version of the CF SLx. One up shift onto the big ring and heard a crack and the whole guide had disintegrated. I suspect it had been from over tightened cable.
    They're only a a couple of euros to replace but it's more the hassle. Canyon were great at the time and replaced with two new guides and also the cost of new cables which I claimed as well. I'd go back to them and see what they say as I suspect it's happened to a few people.
  • flight147zflight147z Posts: 69
    jeffbwood wrote:
    I had exactly the same as this happen to my Canyon Ultimate as soon as I got it out of the box; 2015 version of the CF SLx. One up shift onto the big ring and heard a crack and the whole guide had disintegrated. I suspect it had been from over tightened cable.
    They're only a a couple of euros to replace but it's more the hassle. Canyon were great at the time and replaced with two new guides and also the cost of new cables which I claimed as well. I'd go back to them and see what they say as I suspect it's happened to a few people.

    Spoke to them today £10 for a new one of which £8 is postage. Not going to be dispatched until 1/7 at the earliest
  • AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    edited June 2019
    flight147z wrote:
    jeffbwood wrote:
    I had exactly the same as this happen to my Canyon Ultimate as soon as I got it out of the box; 2015 version of the CF SLx. One up shift onto the big ring and heard a crack and the whole guide had disintegrated. I suspect it had been from over tightened cable.
    They're only a a couple of euros to replace but it's more the hassle. Canyon were great at the time and replaced with two new guides and also the cost of new cables which I claimed as well. I'd go back to them and see what they say as I suspect it's happened to a few people.

    Spoke to them today £10 for a new one of which £8 is postage. Not going to be dispatched until 1/7 at the earliest

    So a week. That’s great, hardly any time at all and I guess you ordered a spare at the same time just in case and that replacement hanger you’ve been meaning to get .

    Good job!
  • Bumo_bBumo_b Posts: 211
    Unless I am very much mistaken, I'd be more worried about what seem to be cracks on the downtube at the bottom of the picture? Please correct me and hope I'm not right as on my phone.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,992
    There aren't any cracks. You can see where the chain suck protector on the downtube is adhered... maybe you're seeing that?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,825
    flight147z wrote:
    I'd consider riding as if it was singlespeed, if it was my only bike to use this weekend, dry days are few and far between this summer so far!

    The plan was to go and ride Great Dun Fell this weekend so I decided against it!

    You only need one gear for GDF...a bloomin' low one.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    drlodge wrote:
    flight147z wrote:
    I'd consider riding as if it was singlespeed, if it was my only bike to use this weekend, dry days are few and far between this summer so far!

    The plan was to go and ride Great Dun Fell this weekend so I decided against it!

    You only need one gear for GDF...a bloomin' low one.

    hahah yes stick it in at the bottom and hope for the best
  • Bumo_bBumo_b Posts: 211
    No worries, though it was a fracture crack in a star shape with a gash/hole about an inch to the left from the black sticker.
    Pleased for the OP I was not seeing it correctly
  • flight147zflight147z Posts: 69
    Bumo_b wrote:
    No worries, though it was a fracture crack in a star shape with a gash/hole about an inch to the left from the black sticker.
    Pleased for the OP I was not seeing it correctly

    That is just dirt. It is normally spotless but given the weather we have had recently it is currently a mess!

    The black stuff is helicopter tape to prevent damage if/when the chain drops

    The part shipped today, so 6 days early. Perhaps if I am lucky I will have it in time to fix my bike for the weekend
  • jermasjermas Posts: 484
    Definitely looks like a crack and/or deep stone chip. You can even see a shadow in the crack. Probably cosmetic but worth a look.
  • AlejandrosdogAlejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    jermas wrote:
    Definitely looks like a crack and/or deep stone chip. You can even see a shadow in the crack. Probably cosmetic but worth a look.

    He’s right you know. Cancel your order quick! Maybe whatever smashed the cable guide in smashed the tube as well.
  • flight147zflight147z Posts: 69
    jermas wrote:
    Definitely looks like a crack and/or deep stone chip. You can even see a shadow in the crack. Probably cosmetic but worth a look.

    Have cleaned it, definitely no crack

    Have undone all of the cables today and threaded the sleeves into the frame ready to drop the new one in when it comes, painful process!
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,855
    When you expand the picture it looke like a big chip /crack. We need to see a picture when it’s clean. :D
  • Bumo_bBumo_b Posts: 211
    Could be a bit of foilage actually
    https://ibb.co/3d79vv5
Sign In or Register to comment.