London Commute: carbon road vs alu gravel

Embankment
Embankment Posts: 5
edited September 2019 in Commuting general
Hi - this is my first post here at Bike radar.

My question is this: should I continue to commute on a carbon road bike in london, or jump on the gravel bandwagon?

I have been commuting on a carbon road bike ~15k each way in London for many years. My original reason for riding the road bike was so that my commuter and weekend bike would feel the same, which they do and has been useful. However I now take all my food for the day plus a lock and clothes in my backpack, and I am getting lower back pain, and want to get the weight off my back.

My opportunity to change arose as my commuter developed a crack, and I am able to get a replacement. I can put the money towards a new frame or complete bike from Trek.

If I go for another carbon frame, I can reuse my rim brake wheels (good) and groupset (not that great), however my luggage carrying options are bikepacking bags or the very expensive tailfin rack. The commuter will have exactly the same fit as my weekend bike, and of course I will enjoy a nice neutral ride on the carbon frame.

If I go for a gravel frame I can add a rack to carry all of my luggage, however I will have to buy a new groupset and wheels to go on the disc frame. The frame will be aluminium as I can not justify the cost of the carbon frame if I am buying new components as well.
My entire ride is on tarmac, this bike is unlikely to ever see any gravel.

My friends and colleagues all say gravel - what does this forum think?

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    If you're getting back pain, rack & panniers gives you most carrying ability? You don't have to get a "gravel" bike though with disc brakes though, surely just a bike that has the requisite mounting points?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Your back is more important that a lighter commuter bike, get the alu bike which will fit a rack. Although you may never ride gravel it would also double up as a decent winter bike when we get grotty weather in the weekends.
  • greenamex2
    greenamex2 Posts: 272
    The gravel bike will be slightly slower/harder work although you could just fit road tyres to split the difference.
    I used to have back/shoulder pain with a rucksack and bought a Tailfin. Never regretted the cost for a second.
    I ride a CX (Trek Crockett) mostly because I do a fair amount of cycle paths, canal paths and forest lanes on my commute. I run 35mm touring tyres. Even on these surfaces it is overkill and something like a Trek Domane frame would be better.
    For road use I would stick with a carbon road frame that can take 28-30mm tyres and spend the savings on a tailfin.
  • Thanks all for the interesting responses so far. That's basically three votes for using a rack, and interesting points that the gravel bike is overkill for the intended use.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely get something with panniers. Planet X London road seems to fit the bill.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    carradice saddle pack would be perfect for your needs.
    I use one with a long flap, for carrying laptop, clothes, food etc.
    I have rear racks but haven't used them in years really.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Thanks for the suggestions on the Carradice bags, I have looked at these (alongside some of the Apidura etc. bikepacking bags), they look sensible.

I have ordered the aluminium gravel bike frameset (Trek Checkpoint ALR), which is not dissimilar to the Planet X London Road suggested.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Embankment wrote:
    Thanks all for the interesting responses so far. That's basically three votes for using a rack, and interesting points that the gravel bike is overkill for the intended use.
    I use a Planet X london road, it's sold as a commuting bike but the frame is nearer to a gravel than a road bike, I'm using 28mm tyres but rack and guards are fully supported. The frame is more comfortable than my previous bike with 38mm tyres (both run at circa 80psi mind you).

While I never got backache with a back pack, I did get soaked in sweat and the rack makes a big improvement on that front!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Doubt just wearing a backpack is giving you back pain. Try a different bike fit set up and / or do some back / core strengthening exercises.