First Ride

NightNurse77
NightNurse77 Posts: 4
edited June 2019 in Road beginners
I finally got my new baby home (Electra Townie) and set off for the first time. I was pretty wobbly to start with. I haven’t ridden a bike in over 25 years. I concentrated on learning the gears and how responsive the brakes are, learning how to turn again and not grip the handlebars in a death grip. Hot today, but I have to go back to purchase an Allen wrench set to attach my water bottle cage to my bike, so I pre-hydrated a bit.

I can’t say that I’m pleased that 1.4 miles wore me out, but I loved the feel and sound of the tires against the pavement and feeling the coolness of shady patches on the road. I want to go back out but I don’t want to push to hard and actually hurt something.

My goal this week is simply to re-ride the same route until I feel much more confident handling my Townie. I don’t know anyone else that rides that lives near me. I’m thinking I’m in for mostly solo rides in the future. But... I’m so glad I finally got my bike!

I purchased a Schwinn rack for my car. I’m a little concerned that the way it secures the bike to the rack is going to fail. Are there any tricks to ensuring the bike is totally secured without risk of coming off the trunk rack while in transit? If I secure my bike to the rack through the wheels with my bike lock, will that deter a potential theft if I have to stop somewhere, say, like Walmart or the grocery store?

Please forgive my naïveté. I’m pretty new to all of this and the Townie was a pretty steep investment. TIA for any advice!

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I remember my first ride after 10 years off, it was only maybe 2 miles, but I got home and my legs were shaking! But you'll gain fitness very quickly with regular riding. Within 6 weeks of my initial tiring 2 mile ride I did a 25 mile event with some pretty brutal hills.