North West Cyclocross

bluemoon17
bluemoon17 Posts: 718
edited July 2019 in Cyclocross
Anybody on here race in NWCCL? I noticed that the calendar was put up a few days ago, and I think this might be the year that I finally give it a try! Have done a bit of road racing in the past few years, but never raced off-road before. Anybody got any useful tips for a beginner? :lol:

Comments

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Dont wear your best kit!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Don't get too hung up on the dismounts/remounts, to begin with you're likely to lose a lot more time on things like cornering. Try not to use the brakes too much (it's a waste of energy), think about carrying your speed wherever possible. Don't inflate your tyres too hard (30psi is plenty). Don't get obsessed with gearing until you've done a few races, everyone has different preferences. If it's muddy, clean your bike as soon as possible after the race (preferably at the venue, but otherwise when you get home) and don't put it away without lubing the chain. Don't stare intensely into space on the start line, it's not a road race and people will think you're weird. That said, the sprint in a CX race is at the start; it's fine to deploy elbows, but not until the commissaire has blown their whistle.
    And finally, as VamP of this parish can attest, the hardest parts of the course are often surrounded by people with cameras. When you've picked yourself up remember to give them a wave, especially if it was a really good wipeout...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    TGOTB wrote:
    Don't get too hung up on the dismounts/remounts, to begin with you're likely to lose a lot more time on things like cornering. Try not to use the brakes too much (it's a waste of energy), think about carrying your speed wherever possible. Don't inflate your tyres too hard (30psi is plenty). Don't get obsessed with gearing until you've done a few races, everyone has different preferences. If it's muddy, clean your bike as soon as possible after the race (preferably at the venue, but otherwise when you get home) and don't put it away without lubing the chain. Don't stare intensely into space on the start line, it's not a road race and people will think you're weird. That said, the sprint in a CX race is at the start; it's fine to deploy elbows, but not until the commissaire has blown their whistle.
    And finally, as VamP of this parish can attest, the hardest parts of the course are often surrounded by people with cameras. When you've picked yourself up remember to give them a wave, especially if it was a really good wipeout...

Thanks very much for that, all very useful.

I'm currently running 33mm clinchers (still the stock tyres actually!) on my Boardman CXR 8.9- probably a dumb question, but will these be able to cope for my first few races whilst I decide if it's for me or not?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    ]I'm currently running 33mm clinchers (still the stock tyres actually!) on my Boardman CXR 8.9- probably a dumb question, but will these be able to cope for my first few races whilst I decide if it's for me or not?
    Absolutely. Kit really isn't that important until your getting up there and looking for small gains. Apart from not running your tyres too hard that is! Rest is probably 75% fitness, 25% technique.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    I'm currently running 33mm clinchers (still the stock tyres actually!) on my Boardman CXR 8.9- probably a dumb question, but will these be able to cope for my first few races whilst I decide if it's for me or not?
    Depends on the tread, but assuming they have a bit of grip they'll be fine. CX tyres treads are a bit more subtle than MTB...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You could also do the NWCX races some from NWCCL do them

http://www.cyclocross.cymru/

Most are in Clwyd
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Moonbiker wrote:
    You could also do the NWCX races some from NWCCL do them

http://www.cyclocross.cymru/

Most are in Clwyd

The only thing to bear in mind with these races is that I'm not sure if they are BC/WC sanctioned events, so no national/regional ranking points on offer..

Could be wrong - happy to be corrected..
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    No they aren't BC sanctioned events its an independent league.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Not that it really matters about BC ranking points if you're looking for events to do for the first time. Have seen real hitters turn up to go ride events when national trophies have been too far away - it's just about turning up and racing against whoever else fancies a good old tear up!
  • Was just thinking about registering for the NW league today - I've dabbled with it for a few years but actually did a full season last time out, loved it.

Have a look at the schedule of races, which are divided by age-group, and work out when to get to the course so you can do a couple of practice laps. Don't need to go round fast, it's just good to see what's on offer - practice laps can often feel hard (IME) as there is no incentive to put an effort in, so don't worry if this is the case. Don't be afraid to session anything that feels technically challenging -it will settle you down in the race if you know you can or cannot ride it. Be aware, though, that a free line into a feature in practice is not the same thing as going at it in the race with five blokes contesting the line.

Don't waste time / mental energy trying to ride something in practice that has you at the very limit of grip / effort - e.g. a muddy steep climb or muddy off camber bank. It will likely be ruined once 100 racers have gone over it, so plan to run it. It's important in cross to be clear on your decisions - e.g. 'I am riding this' or 'I am dismounting and running this'. Avoid 'I am riding this, shit no I'm not and I need to unclip half way up'.

Also, what TGOTB says above about dismount and remount skills is bang-on, some of the leaders will look extremely pro doing this but it's not important when you're starting out, and some NW courses don't even require it. It's a fun skill to develop, but just take a common sense approach to it at first.

Have fun with it, cross is the boss, and it's a friendly vibe in all of the leagues around here, even Yorkshire :D

I had to retire a rear tub wheel at the end of last season and am actually contemplating putting the glue away and going full tubeless, rather than buy a new wheel. Previously ran one tub set / one tubeless and think I might go full tubeless now - feels like a betrayal of values.