Is splitting the best way to sell?

uberkraaft
uberkraaft Posts: 97
edited June 2019 in Road general
Apologies if this in in the wrong area – Due to health issues I've decided to sell my Focus Izalco Team 3.0 2012. It's only done a couple of thousand miles and as you can imagine for a pro bike the spec is brilliant (Full Dura Ace / Ksyrium SR etc).

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Focus/Izalco-Team-30-Bicycle-2012/YTT

Question is simple – I expect the answer is yes but would splitting the bike get a better return than selling the complete bike?

Thanks in advance for you help/thoughts ;)

Matt

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    why not offer both options - not suitable for ebay or similar but for bike forums you could list the bike to sell and also list the components and if you get enough interest sell them seperately.
    Id personally rather sell the bike as a whole unless I knew there were a few knackered parts.
  • uberkraaft
    lemonenema wrote:
    why not offer both options - not suitable for ebay or similar but for bike forums you could list the bike to sell and also list the components and if you get enough interest sell them seperately.
    Id personally rather sell the bike as a whole unless I knew there were a few knackered parts.

Thanks – Yeah I guess! I'd much rather sell it as a whole tbh. Everything is immaculate though and I think the parts would sell well. I suppose, suck it and see ...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I sell a bit on ebay and you'd probably get (very very roughly), but it all depends on if you'll post and time of listing, someone wanting to buy etc etc

£150-£175 for the chainset
    £150-£200 for the shifters
    £75-£100 brakes
    £75 rear mech
    £25 front mech
    £300 frameset (frames are hard to price especially if not posted)
    £200 wheels
    plus a bit more for the rest - hard to say for bars seat posts etc

problem you have is that it is quite old even though it hasn't done that many miles.

it is easier to sell as a whole bike as you'll probably be left over with some bits and posting to loads of different places is annoying and the cost of postage soon adds up.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • uberkraaft
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I sell a bit on ebay and you'd probably get (very very roughly), but it all depends on if you'll post and time of listing, someone wanting to buy etc etc

£150-£175 for the chainset
    £150-£200 for the shifters
    £75-£100 brakes
    £75 rear mech
    £25 front mech
    £300 frameset (frames are hard to price especially if not posted)
    £200 wheels
    plus a bit more for the rest - hard to say for bars seat posts etc

problem you have is that it is quite old even though it hasn't done that many miles.

it is easier to sell as a whole bike as you'll probably be left over with some bits and posting to loads of different places is annoying and the cost of postage soon adds up.

Hey Chris, That's a massive help thank you!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I should caveat that by saying if we have a no deal brexit you can reduce those prices by 90% :wink:
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes