Noob on the block

}{ybrǃd^
}{ybrǃd^ Posts: 6
edited June 2019 in MTB beginners
Hello all,

Thanks for having me here, I'm also eager in learning a lot about bikes in general. I did my own research here and there and I will be asking (hopefully) appropriate questions that won't hurt your brains (in the level of my ignorance in the subject). I'm not looking for best bang for my buck but nothing too outrageous.. I do plan to hit trails (since there are NO mountains in FL)... So, I'm pretty sure a HT will suffice. Just looking for stiffness and great components/hardware... as I have shopped around the brands I happened to catch someone say "GO FULL CUSTOM or BUST!" .. I build custom gaming rigs and I mod my personal vehicle so, doing the same with bikes would be simple knowing what I'm looking at...

I look forward to your guidance... pave or gravel my path... or help me along the way heh...

Comments

• }{ybrǃd^
    So, I narrowed it down to three...

Orbea Laufey 27+ H-LTD 19
    Santa Cruz Chameleon (Alum) S+
    Ibis DV9 (Again... CF)

Now, I've heeded the warnings and I understand that even though a novice I can be prone to falling thus damaging the CF frame... or merely improperly laying it on a rock etc... yet, it was so difficult to remove that bike from my final 3...

I wasn't able to try out an Orbea because they're mostly online... so there were non at the demos nor in shops... I did manage to try out a Chameleon D+ (originally thinking of going 27.5) and a standard Ibis DV9 up in Viera, FL.... (a bit of a drive.)

So, the Orbea was removed because I couldn't get a proper feel of the bike which comes down to the other two... I felt more comfortable with the Ibis... after going back and forth with spes/reviews and my own feel for those two I ultimately decided on the DV9...

I ordered it today from Competitive Cyclist (not driving back up to Viera...) which they attended me well...

Frame in White/Teal, Medium
    RockShox Pike RCT3 29 Charger DebonAir 130 Boost Fork
    Chris King InSet Tapered Headset with Griplock
    TruVativ Descendant 35mm Stem (40mm)
    TruVativ Descendant 35mm CF Handlebar
    Ergon GA2 Grips
    SDG Components Tellis Dropper Seat 31.6x413mm/125mm
    WTB Volt Comp Saddle
    Sram Dub BSA BB
    Complete Sram GX Eagle Drivetrain 175mm/32t
    Crank Brothers Stamp 2 Pedals
    Shimano XT SM-RT86 Rotor 180mm/160mm
    Shimano SLX BL-M7000 Brakes
    Stan's NoTube Arch MK3 29ers
    Maxxis Minion DHF Wide Trail 3C/EXO/TR 29x2.5 Tires...

Now to find a quality tow hitch and hitch rack for a car (Sentra...) any suggestions..?
  • }{ybrǃd^
    Sorry that I double posted, the other one can be deleted... sorry again.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Towbar rack - if it is just for one bike just get the one from Halfords - I've had mine for years - perfectly good. Shop around for the bar but expect to pay £250 for bar, fitting, lighting board and plate.

spk to your insurance too..
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Lagrange wrote:
    Towbar rack - if it is just for one bike just get the one from Halfords - I've had mine for years - perfectly good. Shop around for the bar but expect to pay £250 for bar, fitting, lighting board and plate.

I think you will find he is on the other side of the pond.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • }{ybrǃd^
    robertpb wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

I think you will find he is on the other side of the pond.

Yep, FL, USA here.. :) Since then, I already ordered everything needed to begin this adventure. :)

Got a 2 Bike Hitched rack from Yakima through etrailers. The hitch is ready to be installed, got all the tools needed to service the bike on my own... etc etc