Manual lawnmower

13»

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Robert88 wrote:
    I have a huge garden so have a ride on mower. Simples. :wink:

Pedal powered?

That would make a seriously interesting prologue for the TdF. From one end of the village green to the other.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,906
    One man and his scythe... before operations commenced. I'm not sure it's something to do if you suffer from a bad back.

img_20170828_172716.jpg?w=400

It was quite amusing that in the French garden shop where I bought the scythe, the person taking my money didn't know what she was selling me, and another customer and I were explaining what it was and miming how it's used. She was still bemused.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    awavey wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Who doesn't want a scythe in their shed?

Ive always fancied a scythe as a solution to gardening as youd need a lawnmower like that forest eating machine from the last Indiana Jones film to get through my back garden as it is now, Im sure wildlife loves it, well the foxes & cats seem to but Id actually quite like to sit in it sometime too when the weather decides its actually summer, 3hrs I spent cutting back brambles the other week, filled a whole wheelie bin, and the neighbour popped their head over the fence and went, you havent done much have you :roll:

however I fear Id probably be lethal with the damn thing and end up in A&E, and Im sure as hell not taking my top off to use one :lol:

Maybe start off with just a sickle.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+gardening ... les+h05101
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pinno wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    We always let the lower meadow grow so the farmer can cut it for hay. It's pleasant of a warm summer evening to hear the grasshoppers chirruping away in the distance.

Don't the weeds just take over?

As long as the cut grass is removed there shouldn't be enough nutrient in the soil to encourage the "weeds". The good stuff thrives on low nutrient soil; we have a wildflower meadow near our office in the centre of Leeds (until someone builds a pointless empty steel and glass edifice on it) but it has been spoiled by whoever cuts it leaving the cuttings on the ground. It still looks pretty but grasses are taking over and the wildlife is changing.

As for scythes - if you like scything you'll always have the opportunity to make a few quid in Eastern Europe where fields are often still cut with scythes. Or at least you would have prior to Brexit.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry wrote:
    The advantage of a scythe is that it is actually relatively safe, if done correctly (and there's really no other way to use one) - although they need to be kept really sharp to be any fun at all, the action and shape of the handle mean the blade never get close to the feet/legs - I'm not sure I'd be wanting to swing a sickle on a long piece of wood around the place, as the action seems to be much less dictated by the nature of the tool.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    rjsterry wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    No-one has mentioned scythes yet. Did wonders for that Aidan Turner chap's profile.
    I have a scythe, use it at the side of the house on the grass, nettles and various wild flowers there which I let grow 3-4 ft high before cutting.
    Hasn't done wonders for my profile :? , but the rhythmic swishing has its own enjoyment.
    I don't mind admitting I'm slightly envious.
    Perhaps you need to do a whole field.
    With your shirt off.
    That seemed to do it for Turner. People swooning all over the place.
    From what I saw of Turner, his technique was more akin to trying to cut down a tree with an small hand axe, all rushed exertion and lashing shoulders, no cool rhythmn and swaying hips.
    One wonders at the swooners' taste.
    Esp as, with his style, he wouldn't be up for anything else after only 100 sq m.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    rjsterry wrote:
    The advantage of a scythe is that it is actually relatively safe, if done correctly (and there's really no other way to use one) - although they need to be kept really sharp to be any fun at all, the action and shape of the handle mean the blade never get close to the feet/legs - I'm not sure I'd be wanting to swing a sickle on a long piece of wood around the place, as the action seems to be much less dictated by the nature of the tool.
    The problem with a sickle, apart from the tiring constantly bending down, is that it often cuts best when with the other hand one holds a bunch of grass blades together – with the obvious danger of what could happen.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    knedlicky wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    The problem with a sickle, apart from the tiring constantly bending down, is that it often cuts best when with the other hand one holds a bunch of grass blades together – with the obvious danger of what could happen.

So it's all down to whether you'd prefer to cut your legs or your hand off?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Don't forget you can get the same thrill by mowing the grass in a pair of flip-flops.
  • briantrumpet
    Rolf F wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

So it's all down to whether you'd prefer to cut your legs or your hand off?
    You really would need to try very hard with a scythe to chop anything off in use. I'm more concerned with my fingers when sharpening the blade though... it really is a fearsome thing... a 2ft razor blade.
  • Manual lawnmowers are fine, if you wish to make a second hobby of cutting your lawn. Otherwise a Honda self propelled mower is a good way to go. My neighbor had one for a couple of years. Then he went to a rider after seeing me do my lawn in 20 minutes on an Ahrens/Gravely
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Rolf F wrote:
    Alternatively......Mini digger. Lawns - ugly wastes of space, horrible things. Ecological deserts that waste water, require lots of maintenance and achieve nothing (beyond being a good place for children to play which is really the only point to them); only slightly better than concrete. Dig it up. Do something nice and constructive with your garden! Put proper plants in. Wildflowers etc.

This. A tidy lawn is the sign of a tiny mind.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    rjsterry wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Who doesn't want a scythe in their shed?

Ive always fancied a scythe as a solution to gardening as youd need a lawnmower like that forest eating machine from the last Indiana Jones film to get through my back garden as it is now, Im sure wildlife loves it, well the foxes & cats seem to but Id actually quite like to sit in it sometime too when the weather decides its actually summer, 3hrs I spent cutting back brambles the other week, filled a whole wheelie bin, and the neighbour popped their head over the fence and went, you havent done much have you :roll:

however I fear Id probably be lethal with the damn thing and end up in A&E, and Im sure as hell not taking my top off to use one :lol:

Maybe start off with just a sickle.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+gardening ... les+h05101

I use a sickle on the overgrown highway verge at the back of my garden as the Council's contractor only does a 1m strip at the back of footway once or twice a year and all the weeds encroach through the wall and into our flower beds. Far easier that going around with a strimmer and having to run an extension cable over from the house.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344
    Pross wrote:
    Far easier that going around with a strimmer and having to run an extension cable over from the house.

They've invented chordless strimmers that run on petrol. Honest, no joke.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Pinno wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Far easier that going around with a strimmer and having to run an extension cable over from the house.

They've invented chordless strimmers that run on petrol. Honest, no joke.

Not worth the cost and storage for a few minutes work 3 or 4 times a year. To be honest though I never realised there were any strimmers that had chords!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    You've never played a tune on a strimmer? Dude! Get a life.