New TV

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
Is there anything I should look out for if buying a new TV for smart trainers (Neo or Tickr) and the various bits of software out there (Zwift, TrainerRoad etc)?

No idea yet as I'm still in the stone age with a dumb trainer but guess I'd want to power the whole thing with an Android phone and transmit to the TV? Bluetooth on the TV? Anything else?

Thanks (and don't worry about dumbing it down).

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Get a lead to connect your device to the TV via HDMI. I run an iPad to the TV using HDMI for uninterrupted connection. The Neo etc just connect to the iPad via BTE.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    philthy3 wrote:
    Get a lead to connect your device to the TV via HDMI. I run an iPad to the TV using HDMI for uninterrupted connection. The Neo etc just connect to the iPad via BTE.

I'm doing the same but with a elite direto using fulgaz, I'm going to upgrade this winter to a 4K TV and 4K apple box thing.
  • londoncommuter
    philthy3 wrote:

Would an Android phone not transmit to the TV over Bluetooth so getting rid of the cable?
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

Would an Android phone not transmit to the TV over Bluetooth so getting rid of the cable?

Yes but you risk drop outs and loss of connection. I suffered with them all the time while I had a Direto.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You're better off just getting any old TV and an AppleTV4K to go with it. Then it'll run Zwift nicely without any need to hook up HDMI leads to your phone or anything.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    philthy3 wrote:

no, you cannot send video to a TV via bluetooth. (as far as I am aware)

you can mirror your screen using a cromecast via wifi but the refresh rate will be woeful and pretty much unusable.

best bet is to use a cable i'm afraid.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    You're better off just getting any old TV and an AppleTV4K to go with it. Then it'll run Zwift nicely without any need to hook up HDMI leads to your phone or anything.

how does the apple tv connect to the tv? doesn't that need a HDMI cable?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Chris Bass wrote:

how does the apple tv connect to the tv? doesn't that need a HDMI cable?

Yes - but it's just a static box connected to your TV - not requiring anything else.
  • StillGoing
    Depends if you want to use Zwift as Sufferfest, TrainerRoad etc aren't on Apple TV. HDMI cable is the cheapest and best bet even if you do want to use Zwift.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,960
    Make sure you plug your phone to a power source if going down that route. You don’t want it to die near the end of a session. :oops:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • londoncommuter
    To throw another option in, what about TV's that claim to have the "Apple app"? Would they just work with a smart turbo and no need for any phone or tablet:

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue ... ge-nosto-1
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,960
    To throw another option in, what about TV's that claim to have the "Apple app"? Would they just work with a smart turbo and no need for any phone or tablet:

https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue ... ge-nosto-1
    An awful amount of mentions of phone in a TV function list.
    Doesn't read as a standalone unit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    Another good option is picking up and old imac on Gumtree. I use my old one and it runs Zwift and Sufferfest great. It's only on El Capita os but never has a problem and it'a a great screen.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Alternatively get a second hand tiny pc, Like a Lenovo Thinkcente M series, and an Ant+ dongle and you'll have pretty much unlimited access to whichever platform you want to use that just works every time, no faffing with bluetooth and casting. You can vesa mount it to the back of the TV also.

As far as TVs go I went big with a 65" 4K as I frequently use real life videos so it's more immersive. It is my main TV as I set up my trainer in the sitting room which only takes a minute and, as I say, it just works every time without any connection problems.