Any advice about using caustic soda to remove an aluminium seatpost from a steel frame?

2»

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    gaanrowl wrote:
    gaanrowl wrote:
    Cut the seat post across, leaving an inch or so protruding from the top of the seat tube. Then get a hacksaw blade in a holder, or a dirty rag, and keep running that up and down inside the remaining seat post. Keep it parallel to the post/tube and eventually you will cut through the seat post. Then grab hold of the protuding bit with pliers, wrench or vice and the post should twist out.

No need for all those chemicals and the milennials protective clothing. Won't take any longer than your way. You can always make two opposing cuts and then the two halves of the post can be knocked out. Just takes a bit longer.

Recently used this method to remove a thompson Masterpiece :cry: from my Ritchey frame. once the vertical cuts were made i used a thin piece of wood and knocked it in between the frame and seatpost, this split the alloy and it came out easily.
    Did it split the frame or the post?

it split the alloy post
    so not the alloy frame then?

thats what i thought might happen

Can't break a habit of a lifetime.
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    gaanrowl wrote:
    gaanrowl wrote:
    Cut the seat post across, leaving an inch or so protruding from the top of the seat tube. Then get a hacksaw blade in a holder, or a dirty rag, and keep running that up and down inside the remaining seat post. Keep it parallel to the post/tube and eventually you will cut through the seat post. Then grab hold of the protuding bit with pliers, wrench or vice and the post should twist out.

No need for all those chemicals and the milennials protective clothing. Won't take any longer than your way. You can always make two opposing cuts and then the two halves of the post can be knocked out. Just takes a bit longer.

Recently used this method to remove a thompson Masterpiece :cry: from my Ritchey frame. once the vertical cuts were made i used a thin piece of wood and knocked it in between the frame and seatpost, this split the alloy and it came out easily.

it split the alloy post

the frame was steel, so no issue, not sure i would have been as brave with an alloy frame.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    gaanrowl wrote:
    gaanrowl wrote:
    gaanrowl wrote:

it split the alloy post

the frame was steel, so no issue, not sure i would have been as brave with an alloy frame.
    So an alloy frame then.