Is it just me Jo Brand Double standards?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited June 2019 in Road general
So Jo Brand under fire for "inciting violence" yet very little if anything is done about inciting violence towards cyclist?

Nigel Ferarrage had a milkshake thrown at him

Jo Brand suggests why when could be battery acid.

No one has thrown acid at politians (yet as a result)

Far too many inicent people are killed on our roads, including cyclists

Clarkson et Al make jokes about cyclist butt of joke

Cyclist get run off road little justice, yet nothing changes....

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    can you give a quote where someone has actually incited violence against cyclists?

they say they are annoying and get in the way but i can't recall anyone saying you should actually run the over or anything.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    wasn't there a piece of "comedy" or statement in the popular press not long ago along those lines that was much vilified on here?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ah - yes: the Clarkson piece. or hammond or may. definitly on top gear though
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chris_bass
    wasn't there a piece of "comedy" or statement in the popular press not long ago along those lines that was much vilified on here?

pics or it didn't happen :wink:
  • chris_bass
    I don't see the double standard though, she said something bad and was widely condemned, pretty much no one backed her up.

Jo Brand said something bad and has been widely condemned.

so it is the same? isn't it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Chris Bass wrote:
    can you give a quote where someone has actually incited violence against cyclists?
    Anyone, or a "personality"? I have defriended a childhood friend for posting such things on Facebook.
    I'd be having words should we ever meet up again. Not so easy as he is in America.
    What makes it worse is that he is constantly posting stuff about biker awareness.
    #doublestandards
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    I meant a celebrity, the op seemed to be suggesting that people in the media were inciting violence against cyclists without any repercussions but I can't think of any. Plenty of people say cyclists are annoying but not that you should run them off the road or anything.
  • pblakeney
    James Martin -
    "...So far, so predictable. But in a review of the Tesla electric car this Sunday, he went further, gleefully describing how he had utilised the speedy and silent approach of his test vehicle to sneak up on a pack of weekend cyclists, honk his horn and drive them off the road. "The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror," he wrote."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    PBlakeney wrote:
    James Martin -
    "...So far, so predictable. But in a review of the Tesla electric car this Sunday, he went further, gleefully describing how he had utilised the speedy and silent approach of his test vehicle to sneak up on a pack of weekend cyclists, honk his horn and drive them off the road. "The look of sheer terror as they tottered into the hedge was the best thing I've ever seen in my rear-view mirror," he wrote."
    i remember the obnoxious scumbag crying when his car broke down in the mille miglia, hilarious, still cheers me up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    sungod wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    James Martin -
    i remember the obnoxious scumbag crying when his car broke down in the mille miglia, hilarious, still cheers me up

He is also lying. I drive an EV (BMW i3) and the road noise the car makes tells cyclists that I am behind them. No car is silent, some are less noisy than others.

However.... I have nearly collected a couple of Peds in supermarket carparks when travelling slowly as they tend to listen out for engine noise and often don't bother looking unless they hear it. :shock:
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    sungod wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    James Martin -

My thoughts exactly. Proper spoiled brat in that program
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    PBlakeney wrote:
    James Martin -

By the look of him, he could do with some cycling exercise the fat c**t.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Chris Bass wrote:

they say they are annoying and get in the way but i can't recall anyone saying you should actually run the over or anything.

well depends what you consider a "celebrity" but 10 years ago I think it was Matthew Parris wrote an article in the times saying people should string piano wire across the road & decapitate cyclists.
  • chris_bass
    I still dont see the double standard? unless im missing something?

people say things they shouldn't get complaints, articles removed and apologies issued. seems the same across the board?

for it to be a double standard wouldnt people have to be inciting violence against cyclists and everyone else being fine with it?
  • pblakeney
    Chris Bass wrote:
    ...for it to be a double standard wouldnt people have to be inciting violence against cyclists and everyone else being fine with it?
    My point was that in the James Martin case, the general public were fine with it. It was only when the "cycling mafia" got on his case that things swung round. In any case, nothing is happening to Jo Brand so the original point of this thread is redundant. Unless you want to turn it round...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    Chris Bass wrote:

people say things they shouldn't get complaints, articles removed and apologies issued. seems the same across the board?

for it to be a double standard wouldnt people have to be inciting violence against cyclists and everyone else being fine with it?
    no front pages when the hit and run mowed down a medical student in swains lane recently, the police couldn't even be arsed to get the cctv recording themselves

quite a difference to a comedian making a bad joke, police were right on it, as were the national press
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chris_bass
    sungod wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

no front pages when the hit and run mowed down a medical student in swains lane recently, the police couldn't even be arsed to get the cctv recording themselves

quite a difference to a comedian making a bad joke, police were right on it, as were the national press

that's not the same thing at all.

I'm not defending either side i just don't think there is a double standard - if you are seen to be inciting violence you get called out for it.