All Carbon Saddles

shortfall
shortfall Posts: 3,288
edited June 2019 in Road general
Does anyone have any experience with an all carbon saddle (ie: one of those with just a carbon shell and no padding) ?
I know saddles are very individual but my current fizik perch has padding but still manages to be rock hard anyway. Most of my rides tend to be around 3 hours and I have a couple of comfier saddles in the garage I can use if I decide I want to ride any great distance. For info I'm hovering around the 100kg mark. Thanks.

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Can I ask why you’d want one?

The 100kg might be an issue. A few I’ve see have lower weight limits.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • shortfall
    The honest answer is that I think they look good. I know that's a sh1t reason on it's own but I wouldn't consider owning one if enough people tell me that they're uncomfortable. As above I've currently got a fizik that's like concrete and I've owned probably a dozen or more saddles in my time and struggled to find one that both looks good and is comfortable. Being a big bu.gger probably doesn't help in this respect.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Shortfall wrote:
    The honest answer is that I think they look good. I know that's a sh1t reason on it's own but I wouldn't consider owning one if enough people tell me that they're uncomfortable. As above I've currently got a fizik that's like concrete and I've owned probably a dozen or more saddles in my time and struggled to find one that both looks good and is comfortable. Being a big bu.gger probably doesn't help in this respect.

Looking good drives a lot of sales so don’t worry about that.

I know people who use them and like them. Berk have a rider limit of 100kg.

https://www.berk-composites.com/product ... na-saddle/
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i've got 3:

selle italia zero (80g, retail at £400 - WTAF! picked up from Planet X for £90

one off ebay for £25 like but without the cutout
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbon-saddle- ... B07GKFX1CB

another from PX that i paid £20

never had any problems: comfy for long weekend training rides, doing the etape, communting, everything.

light, look cool and if they fit your backside well comfy

#smoothonyourbottom
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I have a Berk Lupina. It’s more comfy to me than any padded saddle I’ve used. Unless you count my brooks swift which was like an armchair until some b@stard pinched it. I think the main two factors are that it seems a good fit for me and also it has a bit of flex relative to other carbon railed saddles I’ve had in the past. For example s works romin which was a good fit, padded, but less forgiving then the Lupina and I noticed it after 4 hours or so.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if you like an SLR you'll like a plain carbon job.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Mine doesn't have a rider weight limit, I have the Bontrager XXX, weighs 68 grams.
    They look like they should be uncomfortable and feel like they won't last, but like the above guys, I've had no issues with mine. I'm 68kgs, I do still wince every time I hit a pot hole, not in pain but even 18 months later I'm still expecting the crack to happen. I don't know how something so light can take so much punishment.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... e/p/14235/
  • shortfall
    Cheers for the replies fellas. Some of those prices are eye watering though! If I do get one it'll be Amazon or Ebay.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    i've had an ax lightness leaf for many years, after many other saddles it is by far the comfiest i've ever ridden, still fine on 6+ hour rides

http://ax-lightness.de/en/cycling/bike- ... dles/leaf/

it's certainly not delicate, ax say it's ok for mtb as well as road - i'm 80kg +/- a bit, i still vividly remember hitting a pothole at speed, thought i'd damaged my back it was so violent, took 20-30 minutes for pain to go, but the saddle was fine

if you're looking at ebay ones, it's probably worth searching weightweenies for experiences/recommendations
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    I tried it and I found it very uncomfortable. I need some kind of padding. And it is cheaper too to get a carbon seat with some padding.

According to people who own full carbon seats, they say that you will get adjusted to it by riding it alot. But I didn’t bother doing that, especially since the weight difference between my carbon seat with a little bit of padding and the full carbon seat is very small.