Zipp 302 ghost pedalling

davidw007
davidw007 Posts: 37
edited June 2019 in Workshop
Cleaning my bike earlier in the week and noticed that when I turn the cranks a few times and then let go the pedals continue to turn.

Swapped out my wheels for a cheaper pair and this stopped.

You can see a video here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zG8KiRRjZPrigNWn7

Is this anything to worry about? I've had one bike shop say it's probably just excess grease in the bearings and it will go in time and another said to send the wheels back (as they're less than a month old).

Anyone had similar issues?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The important thing is - does it happen when you are riding?
  • Totally normal.

Has happened to me with new sets of wheels, or where I've had hubs serviced
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not a problem if you've got your feet on the pedals.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    My 404s do this too. Only an issue if it pushes your chain off. Likely bearings need servicing, too heavy a grease uses in the pawls or sealing ring not in the correct place.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    This is a bug bear of mine. Compare how quickly the wheels stop spinning. The one with the pedals turning , especially when the free wheel is ticking will slow much more quickly.

Because of drag.

That’s resistance that stops you bombing along down hill. When you’re peddling it makes not a jot of difference because the freewheel is engaged but when you stop pedalling there is drag. And it sucks.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    joey54321 wrote:
    My 404s do this too. Only an issue if it pushes your chain off. Likely bearings need servicing, too heavy a grease uses in the pawls or sealing ring not in the correct place.

Make sure the washer between hub and freehub is in place. Check the bottom of the freehub body for polishing/ ware. If your chain goes slack and then clacks back.
  • Hidden motor!