Routes out of Borg Saint Maurice

turbotommy
turbotommy Posts: 493
edited July 2019 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys. As the title says I’d be very grateful for any good route suggestions which start around Bourg. We’ll be based there for 7 days in early July. I believe we’ll Have access to a van for drop off’s and pick up’s too. So although it might be preferable, routes don’t have to start or finish in Bourg. I generally go on these trips with people who know the areas way better than me, so I take a back seat. But this time I want to make sure that I don’t miss anything / a particular climb perhaps, that I really shouldn’t!
Cannondale caad7 ultegra
S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
Colnago c64 etap wifli
Brother Swift

Comments

• CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Stayed in Bourg a few years ago and there was plenty of offer.
    Ok, so to begin with you could ride up to Arc2000. Nice warm up for the legs!
    Then there's La Plagne (2080m) with it's 20+ hairpin bends. We rode up the other side first of all, through Aime, up through Granier and up to Laval. The track went rough from there to the top, so we couldn't go over (may have changed by now). We were hoping to go on over to Beaufort then back up the Cormet de Roselend.
    Talking of the Cormet (1967m), you can go up from BSM via the east side. As you climb up, there's a turn off to the Vallees des Glaciers, which is pretty much a dead end road but takes you up to great views of the glaciers (what's left of them). There's a nice little place to eat as you come off onto this road, after about 1km.
    So, back on road up to Cormet. You can go over and descend down to the Lake for some great picks. You can descend down to Beaufort and then hang a left and head up to Le Curtillet and then round the edge of the lake and back of to BSM.
    Next there's a fantastic ride up to the Col du Petit St Bernard (2188m). If you want a decent mileage, head on over to La Thuile, hang a right effectively down to Morgex, head along the valley east to Pre-Saint Didier and then back up the Col du Petit St Bernard. A good few thousand metres of climbing there!
    Then there's the inevitable Col de L'Iseran (2770m), going through the ski resort of Val d'Isere. This is pretty much 50km of climbing straight from BSM to the top of the col. As you get up to the Lac du Chevril, you will see that you can hang a right up to the ski resort of Tignes, so that's an alternative. When we went up the Iseran, once we got out of the sun it was baltic! It must have been hovering around 0'c and so the cafe at the top is a great welcome. It was 22'c in BSM when we got back!!
    If you aren't exhausted by all that, you could get car down to Moutiers and climb up to Val Thorens (2340m), or drive a little bit further to Notre Dame de Briancon, park up there and ride up the Col de la Madeleine (2000m).
    Check out all the rides on ClimbByBike.com !!!
    Have a good trip!
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"