Cycling holiday in the UK

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited August 2019 in Road general
So.
I asked a question a few weeks ago about holidaying in Port pollensa.
Well , that does not seem as though it is going to happen.
We are now on Plan B
We , Emma Grace (!$) and friend of Grace (15) are looking at a lodge holiday in the UK with the following spec.

Cycling , I live in the North York moors and the area is great for cycling so want match or exceed this .
A car drive away from a Primark , essential for Grace .
A city or towns/s again a drive away for days out.
some sort of visitor attractions , I know this is a big ask , for teenagers going on young women !!

All advise gratefully received.
regards
ILG

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Somewhere down near Torbay? Easy access to shops and activities for the girls and on the doorstep of Dartmoor. Lots of good climbs and stunning scenery. Followed by a dip in the sea in the afternoon.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    What about my home county of Shropshire? Plenty of lodges and self-catering in the South Shropshire Hills AONB. Quiet roads for cycling and some glorious climbs and walks over places like the Long Mynd, Stiperstones, Clun Forest and Clee Hills with plenty more available over the border into Mid Wales. Lovely villages and interesting towns like Ludlow and Shrewsbury (with Primark) for shopping, eating out, castles, museums, fine architecture and pubs.

A short drive to east Shropshire are the Ironbridge Gorge Museums (a full day out, with lots of interest for teenagers) and the Severn Valley Steam Railway. In north Shropshire you have easier riding and the lakes at Ellesmere.

My recommendation would be to base yourself in the area SW of Shrewsbury for the best cycling terrain and most attractive scenery - somewhere like Clun, Bishop’s Castle, Church Stretton or Ludlow.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Exmoor, prettier than Dartmoor, quiet roads, loads of climbs, spectacular scenery.

You'd be pretty close to some great beaches, and I reckon there's probably a Primark in Barnstable.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Cheshire/ Derbyshire border - stay on the Cheshire Plain SE of Manchester, somewhere like Macclesfield and you have Manchester on the doorstep with all its attractions for entertainment, plus the choice of hills to the east (the beautiful Peak District) or flat to the west on the Cheshire Plain through some lovely villages on the myriad of country lanes towards Chester, or SW towards Audlem (great cycle friendly cafe) and beyond into the Shropshire countryside. Depends how far you want to cycle for a day out.

From Macclesfield you can catch trains into Manchester to save driving and there is plenty to do there for days/ nights out including a vibrant music scene, culture, history, choice of all the world’s cuisine and every shop you could ever want from Primark to Harvey Nichols!

PP
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 443
    Come to wonderful Hampshire ilovegrace and family!
    We have some great riding on quiet lanes with great views and some great cafe stops too!
    Additionally, there are some interesting places to visit and yes a Primark or two - even better than that for a shopping visit is Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth!
    Good links to a range of places with nothing too far away. We are based between Portsmouth and Southampton on the coast, Winchester where I work would be a good base? There are some lovely rides out from here.
    Feel free to pm if helps. BW
  • molteni_man
    Here’s a starter for 10 - a nice v quiet route from Winchester

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home ... ycle-route

+
    https://www.longbarn.co.uk/cafe

as a starter

+ shopping at Gunwharf
    https://gunwharf-quays.com/shops?gclid= ... gJFVfD_BwE
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Centreparcs Longleat?
    Easy access to superb cycling in north Dorset, SE Somerset, SW Wiltshire. Easy access to beautiful Bath, Southampton not too far away or Salisbury. Pretty Frome on your doorstep.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Come to wonderful Hampshire ilovegrace and family!
    We have some great riding on quiet lanes with great views and some great cafe stops too!
    Additionally, there are some interesting places to visit and yes a Primark or two - even better than that for a shopping visit is Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth!
    Good links to a range of places with nothing too far away. We are based between Portsmouth and Southampton on the coast, Winchester where I work would be a good base? There are some lovely rides out from here.
    Feel free to pm if helps. BW
    My daughter lived in Borden in Hampshire and although there was some nice lanes trying just to cross the A roads sometimes took 10 minutes plus. Riding down there is the North Yorkshire equivalent of riding down the A64.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Depends what you are after. For something different go to the western isles. For mountains the lakes or torridon. For endless route options, another Dartmoor vote (probably more options for the family too, although for gods sake avoid torbay, unless you shop in Sport Direct or are over 80 - there's no inbetween)
  • pilot_pete
    Forgot to add, Alton Towers is only a 40 min drive from Macclesfield... :wink:

PP
  • molteni_man
    My daughter lived in Borden in Hampshire and although there was some nice lanes trying just to cross the A roads sometimes took 10 minutes plus. Riding down there is the North Yorkshire equivalent of riding down the A64.

Bordon is further North in Hampshire Webboo - 40 miles away. Hampshire is a massive county (3,700km2) and yes there would be some busy roads there. I never head as far North as that as no need. There are plentiful routes in my part where you never have to cross a main road! The one I copied in is one suggestion and can easily be extended without crossing any major roads for example. I can ride North from my place and hit lanes where I rarely see a car even in rush hour. Riding East and West can give the same results.
    Local knowledge always helps of course and you only truly get to know an area after multiple rides. Southern Hampshire consists of a multitude of quiet lanes. I discovered a couple of new lanes out on Tues evening about 12 miles from me and have cycled here for 32 years!
    There are plenty of other areas to cycle in our country and other Forum contributors will have their own useful suggestions of course to help ilovegrace.
    I also forgot that the Isle of Wight with it’s wonderful route on super smooth surfaces is a short ferry ride from Portsmouth and makes another great cycling day too.
    BW
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Morning ILG,

For something a bit different, book yourself and the family on a cheap ferry over to Ireland.
    So, so many options of places to choose but my top 2 would be:

North:
    Stay around Portrush/Portstewart
    Just over an hours drive from the harbour (Larne)
    Access to the beautiful coast road for cycling, taking you down towards the much feared Torr Head!
    Great routes to be had around the beautiful glens of Antrim with stunning scenery and plenty of challenging climbs.
    The giro went around these roads a few years back.
    The 2 Port towns have lots of restaurants and bars, plus a few shops and are great for a walk around.
    Coleraine is a 10 minute drive for all the normal high street shops you could want.
    Belfast just over an hour away for a day out.
    Giants Causeway and rope bridge 15 mins away for all tourist type activities.

South:
    Killarney
    Simply stunning scenery and amazing on the bike - lakes, mountains, gap of dunloe, it really is beautiful
    You could also ride the ring of Kerry which is a fantastic scenic loop
    Killarney itself is buzzing with entertainment all year round, so you all should have a great time
    (would be a much longer drive to Killarney, but it is worth it!)

Wherever you end up, hope you all have a great time.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Centreparcs Longleat?
    Easy access to superb cycling in north Dorset, SE Somerset, SW Wiltshire. Easy access to beautiful Bath, Southampton not too far away or Salisbury. Pretty Frome on your doorstep.

While I love the South Downs lanes in the hills between Chilcomb, South Harting and Empshott to cycle from home in east Southampton, Longleat is a great cycling base if you like hills...

There's a good handful of cat4s literally just outside the campus, including the Longleat estate climb less than 5mins away https://www.strava.com/segments/16290817 , plus a cat3 (Gare Hill) that is less than 6 miles away https://www.strava.com/segments/17614717 . Or you can get to Wells in ~22 miles and tackle those numerous cat3s in The Mendips such as Draycott Steep https://www.strava.com/segments/659038

No help on the Primark front, I think we have one in Southampton! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ^Longleat isn't far from Bath, which has Primark and a bit of culture too.
    Glastonbury not far away either, appeals to most teens (new age bollox, crystals, incense etc and a climb up to the tor )
  • Keswick.

Beautiful scenery and enjoyable cycling.

You would have to drive to Carlisle for Primark(45mins), Keswick does have plenty of shops but Carlisle would be better option. Keswick is a tourist area so plenty to do. They even have a pencil museum. What teenager wouldn't love going to a pencil museum?

Plus as a bonus it's not overly far to drive from North York moors.
  • ilovegrace
    Hi All
    Many thanks for you replies , loads to think about .
    My daughter found this last night , any thoughts on the area ?
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/27127399 ... 6mq8kkxaP1
    regards
    ILG
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Isle of Wight
  • First.Aspect
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi All
    regards
    ILG
    Roads very busy. Lots of angry rich people on 3 hour commutes. But Oxford is pretty.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi All
    regards
    ILG
    Roads very busy. Lots of angry rich people on 3 hour commutes. But Oxford is pretty.

Thanks , good to know .
    Back to the drawing board.
    ILG
  • joe2008
    ilovegrace wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Hi All
    regards
    ILG

Thanks , good to know .
    Back to the drawing board.
    ILG

Exmoor.

Roads very quiet. Lots of farmers on tractors. And Lynmouth is very pretty.
  • ilovegrace
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Centreparcs Longleat?
    Is cenreparcs worth it ?
    Are there any lodges in this area we could look at , I have heard a few average reports for CPs.
    regrds
    ILG
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,685
    That Penn place is a bit far from Oxford, though you could get the train from High Wycombe to Oxford. Or indeed Bicester Village for them there shops.

If you looked further west towards N Oxfordshire, villages north of Bicester, on the borders of Oxon, Bucks and Northamptonshire, lots of quiet flattish roads for easy cycling. Cross over the M40 going further west, again lots of lovely villages but terrain starts to get more rolling on the edge of the Cotswolds. Nothing too difficult but lots of short sharp climbs. Easy access into Oxford from all parts, train easiest as parking in city is a pain. Or do the park and rides from e.g. Oxford Parkway or Peartree.

South of Oxford, villages near Abingdon are attractive. Some segregated cycle routes. Or take a gravel / MTB and go up onto the Ridgeway.

Oxford city itself is full of attractions of all sorts, and is pretty bike friendly. Watch out for the gaggles of tourists.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Cheshire/ Derbyshire border - stay on the Cheshire Plain SE of Manchester, somewhere like Macclesfield and you have Manchester on the doorstep with all its attractions for entertainment, plus the choice of hills to the east (the beautiful Peak District) or flat to the west on the Cheshire Plain through some lovely villages on the myriad of country lanes towards Chester, or SW towards Audlem (great cycle friendly cafe) and beyond into the Shropshire countryside. Depends how far you want to cycle for a day out.

From Macclesfield you can catch trains into Manchester to save driving and there is plenty to do there for days/ nights out including a vibrant music scene, culture, history, choice of all the world’s cuisine and every shop you could ever want from Primark to Harvey Nichols!

PP

For cycling this would beat the Chilterns around Oxford and Henley Abingdon etc.

Macclesfield isn't that great though!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Centreparcs Longleat?
    Is cenreparcs worth it ?
    Are there any lodges in this area we could look at , I have heard a few average reports for CPs.
    regrds
    ILG

I'm sure you'd find something on Airbnb or Homeandaway in the Shaftesbury, Gillingham,Bruton, Frome areas. The Jurassic coast is also not too far, you could go fossil hunting! And of course there is Gold Hill (Hovis advert) in Shaftesbury to ride up!
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    If you live up in the North Yorks area...not too big a jump down to the Peak District..some lovely cottages out in Bakewell, that sort of area, easy trip into Sheffield city centre..and some beautiful riding out in the Peak District as hard or easy as you want, you ca go into the Staffordshire side of the Peak too... obvs it will have to stop raining first!!!
  • pilot_pete
    Jez mon wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

For cycling this would beat the Chilterns around Oxford and Henley Abingdon etc.

Macclesfield isn't that great though!

Agreed, I meant somewhere near Macclesfield, which has the station and regular trains to Manchester. For example, lovely little pub with designer accommodation just outside Congleton on the Macc road - The Plough at Eaton -http://www.theploughinncheshire.com/ Fantastic food, good beers, lovely ambience, superb accommodation.

Alternatively, cheaper options are available such as farms doing B&B etc.

PP
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    joe2008 wrote:
    Exmoor, prettier than Dartmoor, quiet roads, loads of climbs, spectacular scenery.

You'd be pretty close to some great beaches, and I reckon there's probably a Primark in Barnstable.

Erm, not sure about that! Dartmoor is beautiful, some pretty hard riding to be had, three of Simon Warren's top 100 in a line from Tavistock to Widecombe...Bovey Tracey is a nice place to stay, there are big towns and cities near by for the essential Primark experience.
  • First.Aspect
    DaveP1 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

Erm, not sure about that! Dartmoor is beautiful, some pretty hard riding to be had, three of Simon Warren's top 100 in a line from Tavistock to Widecombe...Bovey Tracey is a nice place to stay, there are big towns and cities near by for the essential Primark experience.
    Exmoor is also much smaller than Dartmoor. The entire circumferenc e of Dartmoor national park is only about 150km, if that puts it into context.

Dartmoor and surrounds is fantastic cycling country due to the sheer abundance of route options. It is definitely 34x32 territory though for most of us.
  • joe2008
    I rest my case...

j3.jpg

j1.jpg

j.jpg